Powered by Outside

Broke my wrist on June 26th - whats the likely recovery period?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broke my wrist on June 26th - whats the likely recovery period?
Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 22:57 Quote
Fiberglass is the way to go. It helps with daily life, and sleeping.

What is the post-cast splint for??? Why not just leave the cast on?

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:20 Quote
Is the cast off yet? How did it go?????

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:23 Quote
nancinald wrote:
Could you bend your wrist? My whole hand is stiff, sore, sensitive, but I'm working on it.

Soooo nice to sleep WITHOUT a cast. Like heaven.

It was a little stiff, but that's about it. (inb4thatswutshesaid)

I could still hold my bars nicely too. Raced on it the night I got it off, advil and ice were my best friend.

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:37 Quote
Did they give you a splint? How long was the cast on for?

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:37 Quote
i broke my distal radius this past weekend. i had surgery to reduce it and he put in 2 pins and a plaster cast. doc says 6 wks in the cast then physio before i can ride again, i'm hoping it'll be a little quicker than that.

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:40 Quote
Aah! Pins! Ouch. Can they give you a fiberglass cast? Go for the fiberglass.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:55 Quote
i have a follow up in a week, hoping he'll change it then. as for right now, not on any pain pills at all 1 day post op. pretty happy about that!

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 11:03 Quote
Post-op pain for bone ops dies down pretty fast. But that first few hours...OMG

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 11:49 Quote
nancinald wrote:
Did they give you a splint? How long was the cast on for?

It was last year, cant remember. But it wasn't too long. My bones heal up quite quickly.

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 19:44 Quote
The cast came off today. Wrist feels good. No pain but some stiffness when i bend it far and it feels quite weak. I have a list of stretching exercises and my god do they hurt. I can move it a long way without it hurting though.

All in all it feels good. Hopefully back on the bike in few days at the pump track or something like that.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 10:15 Quote
Great.

I am not at the stretching exercises phase. But oh boy! Painful rehab! Something to look forward to! I have heard the stories...

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 14:31 Quote
Did you find anything that you could do while in the cast phase that may make rehab easier/shorter? I get it that it needs to be immobilized but even supplements, stretching etc?

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 17:24 Quote
I drank 1 liter of milk (skim) a day, and no coffee. But otherwise I just moved my fingers all the time, and my thumb as much as I could. The big tendon on the bottom of the thumb atrophied, plus the one from the wrist, which was unavoidable. But they are coming along nicely now. I haven't started physio yet.

The next few weeks will go by fast...

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 19:31 Quote
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. So far I have put in about 45 miles on the stationary bike. If I keep that up I should be ok to get right back on! I just may hesitate at the next step down gap I roll up to.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 22:31 Quote
Good work. It's hard if you're an active person to be suddenly deprived of it. Keep it up! Your thumb might be weak for riding at first though, but it'll come back quickly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.006292
Mobile Version of Website