Need to buy a chainsaw!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Need to buy a chainsaw!
Posted: Aug 24, 2013 at 12:14 Quote
stinkyniner wrote:
must be a pissy lil thing.
plus for trail building means you gotta trek around with a petrol can and oil.
and weight difference between electric and petrol is considerable, especially a husky.

this is true

Posted: Aug 24, 2013 at 22:05 Quote
Quiet generators aren't cheap. You would need a generator with an inverter because they tend to be quieter and much more expensive. Probably 1000 watt would be good too. I have a honda 500watt inverted generator it is really quiet but it weighs a good 40-45 pounds.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 9:48 Quote
You don`t need a chain saw or a bow saw you just need 2 guys and this.
photo

Much more effective and rips through trees.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 14:10 Quote
Honstly that hand saw is a great idea. I bet it would be far more reliable and easier to deal with than a chainsaw. You'd have a lot less weight to lug around too.

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 6:43 Quote
those old saws are pretty hefty lol
yeah theyre better if youre ripping down a log into timber but if youre just crosscutting logs a bow saw is more practical to carry up to the trails.

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 10:15 Quote
stinkyniner wrote:
those old saws are pretty hefty lol
yeah theyre better if youre ripping down a log into timber but if youre just crosscutting logs a bow saw is more practical to carry up to the trails.

It depends how you get the saw to the trail, the saw does not weigh too much and is certainly lighter than a chain saw. But for cross cutting it is really personal preference as unlike my bow saw the old wood saw does not jam so I find it more enjoyable to use.

The only problem is to buy one now would be very hard as they probably would have been scraped, I was lucky enough to inherit one so buying one was never a problem.

Posted: Aug 28, 2013 at 10:41 Quote
cmt643 wrote:
photo

I have 2 of these, and they do rip through big logs quickly, however, they are a bitch to sharpen.
Home Depot has electric chain saws for about a hundred bucks with charger.... and a 30 day money back guarantee ;-)

FL
Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 12:13 Quote
my friend bought this one

http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LCS120.aspx

you'll need some extra battery

it's near as powerfull as a petrol of the same price (a cheap petrol chainsaw)

i would recommend it, faster then any hand saw

[L=http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LCS120.aspx[/L]

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 13:08 Quote
i was looking into that but saw some bad reviews on it, gonna go with a husky i think, as soon as i get the money together that is...

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 13:11 Quote
you are 14 with no one to "train"you in proper use... just no

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
going to get an ex logger that lives down the road to teach me how to use it properly, and as of tomorrow 15

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 14:03 Quote
jackbr123 wrote:
going to get an ex logger that lives down the road to teach me how to use it properly, and as of tomorrow 15
I`m 15 tooBig Grin

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 0:19 Quote
i am now OFFICIALLY 15 Big Grin

FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 7:11 Quote
i made an error, my friend use the 20v with lithium battery

lithium battery last longer and weight less

20v more power comparate to the 18V

http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LCS120.aspx

with four batteries, he cut a lot of tree.
he used it more then 40 days and it work really good nothing broke. he open backcountry ski trails with it, trust me, the chainsaw cut a lot of tree, you don't need four bateries for trail building i think

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2014 at 19:25 Quote
I know you really want the chainsaw mate, but i really don't think its a good idea. There are lots of reasons to get one, but im afraid that there are even more against getting one. Safe upkeep of the saw, safe handling, crosscutting and felling techniques, having to carry chain oil and fuel and please don't even consider using one without chainsaw trousers, chainsaw boots, chainsaw gloves and suitable helmet. Even with all the safety gear, its still dangerous. I had an elm barbers chair on me the other day and had to dive for cover. I also have a friend who is missing a thumb due to a chainsaw. Riding is pretty difficult without a thumb..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023795
Mobile Version of Website