Powered by Outside

tools to build up my bike

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
tools to build up my bike
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
I have a CrankBros Multi 17 haven't had any problems with and I've had it fot three years. I would highly recommmend it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 13:58 Quote
Wouldnt like to cut myself on that drive train.

I'll have a look into these crankbro mutli tools, see if theyre what there cracked up to be. Its a balance between weight and tools for predictable but also not so predictable uses. Some tools just get it oh so badly wrong.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
jallan wrote:

I'll have a look into these crankbro mutli tools, see if theyre what there cracked up to be. Its a balance between weight and tools for predictable but also not so predictable uses. Some tools just get it oh so badly wrong.

My tool has allen wrenches, all types of screwdrivers, Chian tool, Spoke wrench, wrench and i think it's only 250 grams maybe???

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 14:16 Quote
BMX8000 wrote:
jallan wrote:

My tool has allen wrenches, all types of screwdrivers, Chian tool, Spoke wrench, wrench and i think it's only 250 grams maybe???

Sweet, Silly question... But do you put it in your pocket or bag whilst riding ? Multi tools that are flat are great, its like i can put my tool in my pocket and my wallet. Stop of at a shop for drink but ive stil got what i need on me !

AND BLOODY HELL!! I just noticed how worn that front chain ring is lol!

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 14:18 Quote
jallan wrote:
BMX8000 wrote:
jallan wrote:

Sweet, Silly question... But do you put it in your pocket or bag whilst riding ? Multi tools that are flat are great, its like i can put my tool in my pocket and my wallet. Stop of at a shop for drink but ive stil got what i need on me !

If racing it goes in my pocket. If riding trails it goes in my backpack. When rolling around town it has a spot in my jeans pocket.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 14:18 Quote
good point on the that one be able to have all tools in one for on the road good point

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 14:21 Quote
jallan wrote:
BMX8000 wrote:
jallan wrote:

Most of the time in the pocket, when i'm BMXing but for XC i carry it in a camelbaack.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
-ito- wrote:

If racing it goes in my pocket. If riding trails it goes in my backpack. When rolling around town it has a spot in my jeans pocket.

The jean pocket approach, I remember putting one on my backpocket and i dropped to sit down rather fast once... One mistake i wont make again and if i do i'll be getting rather annoyed. If im only going out for a hour or two it gets to me sometimes having to take a bag because it drags me down. My performance is severely affected with bags. Don't know why and it probably shouldnt but it does!

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
jallan wrote:

Ya, I kind of ran it into the ground last winter.

Front pocket. Back when I rode trials it was always the back pocket, but these days I need to sit there.

Posted: Jan 22, 2008 at 18:09 Quote
jallan wrote:
-ito- wrote:
Almost exclusively they use Park Tools

I find this hard to believe.

I don't...

Go to my simple point that if ParkTool are the "best" and that "99% of people prefer them" then why are there other tool producers out there surviving ?

My local bike shop use one or two parktool tools, and I know that because i actually asked them when i was there talking about a BB tool. They use the best tools from a variety of products. Just because parktool my produce the best of say product "X" doesn't mean they have the consistent quality to produce the equivalent of "Y" product. Therefore it's actually rather simple to believe. This is where my statement on the reliability of some of ParkTools tools comes into play... Understand?

However I agree with your toolkit selection when I started biking i went for something like that. However I've bought tools by themselves since then to build up my selection of tools and I'm rather happy with what I have now. Once you've got a lot of tools also in the first place theres no point buying another toolkit as you will just have multiple amounts of the same tool.

Also I laugh when you assume that if the tool is more expensive it means its a better tool. Use that same basis on cars and you'd be a fool. A corvette is a pile of wank but for the same price you can get a Jaguar a quality build... A simple yet effective point.

I'm not trying to get at you, but why have you worked in 5 bikeshops within 5 years ?

EDIT: Parktool in the UK also might have an increased priced, hence the reason they are quite expensive because they are imported this may be why we disagree. However there are many other manufacturers which sell tools for cheaper which have just the same quality or better. About 99% of people who have used Parktool probably haven't used any other tools, for example you probably by the sounds of it. (Yes its a figure like the other guy made, a stupidly exaggerated one but also kind of realistic)therefore they're just assuming its the best... Like many products people tend to do. This argument seems very similar to all the "OMG HAYES ARE CRAP, KONA'S SUCK" type of opinions.
-ito- wrote:
Almost exclusively they use Park Tools
This is where i believe you may not be experienced with many other brand of tools. It does NOT mean they are the best tools, it could mean they are easy to be supplied as a shop, readily available that is. Maybe they get a deal on them... So that doesn't really help you're side.
Yes I'm taking this too seriously, but I dont want this person to invest in a toolkit that he doesn't need or has tools that begin to crack after a few uses because people who only seem to use one brand think theyre amazing as they have nothing to compare it to.

Also please don't come out with some comment saying that i'm ignorant and I'm only defending my ego or whatever because i disagree... Because that isnt sticking to the point thats only attacking me personally (I'm not saying that you are one of those but when people seem to disagree then one is often abused)

Oh and to the guy who started the thread...

Remember:
A good quality grease ( perhaps a grease gun, you can see some of them in a bonus pack sometimes )
Loctite
perhaps an anti seize compound
chain lube ( I reccomend Rock 'n' Roll chain lube, in wet weather you need to reapply it after each ride but it barely uses any to do so and its a brilliant and fast lube, cleans the chains you wipe it down by back pedalling with the rag, job done its lubed)
and some rags to clean your chain if you don't go for the chain scrubber option.
Some cable lube, unless you use coated cables.

Actually the other guy being myself..i dont use park tools...and i said 99% of the shops use them not preferr them and as for there quality or performance ive never heard any complaints form friend at shops that use them

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 2:26 Quote
nothingsshocking wrote:
Actually the other guy being myself..i dont use park tools...and i said 99% of the shops use them not preferr them and as for there quality or performance ive never heard any complaints form friend at shops that use them

Ah were over this one now, However i guess then its different in the US/Canada (sorry i cant remember which one you're from) In the UK park tool are rarer and a lot more expensive and most bike shops adopt different brands rather than sticking to one.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.299868
Mobile Version of Website