Powered by Outside

Painting The Rims Of Your bike??

PB Forum :: Beginners
Painting The Rims Of Your bike??
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 16:23 Quote
hawskill wrote:
I never prime my stuff. I dont see the benifts. Spary paint is spray paint it sticks well if you rough up the serface. Maybe I'm just lazy but I never prime stuff.

It is a good idea in the long term and if u are trying to sell

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 16:24 Quote
just get them powder coated

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
Alright i painted my rims white about two weeks ago they look dope.
all ou have to do if you dont want to take the spokes out is tape
each spoke about 2 inches the put newspaper all around the hub
so then lightly sand the rim and spray lightly until you like it then clear coat
photo

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
Whitebmx18 wrote:
then clear coat
photo

Okay so this is what im understanding from you guys:

Some people are telling me buy an air compresor? with like a paint sprayer thing, which im not going to do cause i can just buy a white rim instead now these are the final steps because i want to get started like asap Razz

Take the rim, hang it by a wire, tape it with tape 2 inches above the spoke on each one. Sand the rim gently, and apply primer.
Spray paint the rim white and spin it for balanced and quick dry? 2 COATS

then im done?

AM I MISSING ANYTHING? Razz

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:21 Quote
setup wrote:
Whitebmx18 wrote:
then clear coat
photo

Some people are telling me buy an air compresor? with like a paint sprayer thing, which im not going to do cause i can just buy a white rim instead now these are the final steps because i want to get started like asap Razz

Take the rim, hang it by a wire, tape it with tape 2 inches above the spoke on each one. Sand the rim gently, and apply primer.

then im done?

That is exactly what you need to do, that is what my mate did.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:22 Quote
setup wrote:
Whitebmx18 wrote:
then clear coat
photo

then im done?

i dont think so dude.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:25 Quote
alright guys ill let you no how it went, what about the paint spray? Is there a "Good Kind" or all they all the same? is there a "Bad Kind"

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
setup wrote:
alright guys ill let you no how it went, what about the paint spray? Is there a "Good Kind" or all they all the same? is there a "Bad Kind"

There is, cheap paint rarely ever lasts or turn out good. Rust paint is a big no.

I usually just go with higher priced paint that's formulated for clean metal (it'll say on the label) and that's never lead me wrong.

As for brand names, I've always used either Krylon or Dupli-Color. I would recommend looking for some Dupli-Color. It can typically be found at auto parts stores and possibly Canadian Tire. Its made for automotive applications so it has a pretty resilient finish, use that with Dupli-Color Truck and SUV clear coat (which can be found at Canadian Tire) and you should be good.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 17:29 Quote
alright thank you all for your answers if you have any other suggestions / comments leave'em im going to go buy the spray paint tommorow, and ill defff post pictures up , once again thanks

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 12:47 Quote
Let the paint get "tacky" in between coats.

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
Just tape off everything you dont want the paint to touch and paint. You might want to think of a clear coat after! Protect it more and to get it a shine

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
setup wrote:

There is, cheap paint rarely ever lasts or turn out good. Rust paint is a big no.

I usually just go with higher priced paint that's formulated for clean metal (it'll say on the label) and that's never lead me wrong.

As for brand names, I've always used either Krylon or Dupli-Color. I would recommend looking for some Dupli-Color. It can typically be found at auto parts stores and possibly Canadian Tire. Its made for automotive applications so it has a pretty resilient finish, use that with Dupli-Color Truck and SUV clear coat (which can be found at Canadian Tire) and you should be good.
Montana is good if you can find it. Its what alot of taggers use once their ready for something better than krylon.

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 14:39 Quote
hawskill wrote:
jallan wrote:
Yellow also because it has been scientifically to improve wheel strength...

Qoute of the day!~

How does that work? Anyone know?

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
K, well I have painted 2 frame, more then once, and lots of rims.

First time, painted yellow over Powdercoat blue. Roughed surface, left powdercoat on, used Krylon Plastic paint(also reccomended for metal) and it turned out pretty good. Paint went on smooth, was fairly chip resistant, no clear coat.

Second time, Purple Krylon Plastic spray on un primed, unsanded rims. Worked alright, but tire levers took the paint off. Rims are fairly hard to do with spray paint because of the tire lever issue.

Third time, sanded the yellow down on my frame, and used a cheaper Rust paint, flat black. No priming, but applied to a roughed, clean surface. Worked exellent and overall the best.

My advice?

Clean surface, rough up a bit with high grit sand paper, use primer, put a thin coat on, sand, make sure there is no drips etc, and then paint. Carefull when you paint, use thin coats and "brush" across. Don't keep spraying at a spot that seems hard to get, try another angle. Clear coat can be useful but I didn't have a big problem without it.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
KDizzle wrote:
hawskill wrote:
jallan wrote:
Yellow also because it has been scientifically to improve wheel strength...

Qoute of the day!~

How does that work? Anyone know?

Its making a mockery of everyone who thinks deemax rims are the strongest or some people who paint them yellow to look like deemax. (Not everyone paints yellow to look like a deemax though)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011291
Mobile Version of Website