Powered by Outside

How to lower Argyle 318

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to lower Argyle 318
Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
here's a few questions that i have, that when answered, should prove helpful to many other 318 owners in the process of lowering their forks. i've read the tutorials and the threads, but i couldn't find the answer to these questions (especially that handlebar spacer question, which was asked but without reply)

1) so what are those things at the hardware store called? will they always have them in 10mm widths, and what are they normally used for (so i can ask if they have them)?

2) what diameter spacer should i be using (i'd like to know this before i take my fork apart)?

3) i know that you pour the oil in from the top before replacing the top cap, but do you drain the oil from the bottom after removing the screw, or from the top (upside down)?

4) is it best to use those nylon spacers or could i use a piece cut off from my handlebar... has spongebomb or anyone else run into any issues or noises using their metal/handlebar bits?

5) a few posts ago, someone asked if they could use the spacer already inside the argyle... was he talking about the plastic under the top cap? what is that plastic originally for and what would be different if i used that?

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
as for the width of the spacer if you buy a new argyle it comes with 4 of the nylon spacers

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
mike-l wrote:
as for the width of the spacer if you buy a new argyle it comes with 4 of the nylon spacers
thanks, i was looking for them at Home Depot for 20 minutes and couldn't find ones that would work.

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 16:11 Quote
yea i couldn't find any eather but i just ended up using metal washers and it has been great for the first like 2 months so im happy

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
ok man when i got my fork it had 3 spacers and they dont seem close to as think as yours look in the pic like mine are like a mm thick maybe a BIT more

and for the people who already did it do your forks still make the noise if it does is it very noticable cause my forks like brand new i dont want it making noise

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
mine make no noise at all and i used mtal spacers and yes the little white spacers that come with the fork ar the ones that you use ... you will find more ofthose already in the fork

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 17:00 Quote
alright man thanks
but how much did you lower yours?

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
mike-l wrote:
mine make no noise at all and i used mtal spacers and yes the little white spacers that come with the fork ar the ones that you use ... you will find more ofthose already in the fork

already in the fork? so are they in a space where they aren't doing anything, and move them to the bottom like in the picture?

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 17:11 Quote
there are 2 or 3 stuck to the bottom of the big white spacer... and i lowered mine to 70mm

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
mike-l wrote:
there are 2 or 3 stuck to the bottom of the big white spacer... and i lowered mine to 70mm

stuck to the bottom, meaning they weren't doing anything but sitting inside the coil?

because i know the big white spacer is the preload spacer and shouldn't be moved.

Posted: Jun 23, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
how think are the spacers that come with the arygles.( the white ones)

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 8:18 Quote
rockymountianflow wrote:
how think are the spacers that come with the arygles.( the white ones)
Just a question, if I want to lower mine to 80mm, I put two 10mm spacers at the bottom, and one at the top, but how do I connect the one 10mm spacer at the top to the Spring??? I know I can cut the spacer that it already in there but I dont really want to do that, How can i connect it??

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
yo nice tread !
but can someone post how to lower a 409 ?

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
rlee560 wrote:
You can use the spacer. It is a bitch to put the topcap back on because the spring has to be compressed 15mm to get it to fit. Your fork will only have 55 to 60mm of travel if you use it.
What if I cut the top big spacer so it is the right size?

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 22:35 Quote
hey so i went to 3 different hardware stores and couldnt find anything that looked like the nylon spacers you used. what are they called so i know what to ask for next time i go?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014686
Mobile Version of Website