pinkbike needs to chill out

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
pinkbike needs to chill out
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 7:21 Quote
jallan wrote:
Ahh, onto it then! Sorry then, I just find that people of my age range(being 17) are targeted for our maturity.

That's been brought up with the moderators, of the people that responded there was a general consensus that people attacking others based on their age will now be getting warnings.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 7:35 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
jallan wrote:
Ahh, onto it then! Sorry then, I just find that people of my age range(being 17) are targeted for our maturity.

That's been brought up with the moderators, of the people that responded there was a general consensus that people attacking others based on their age will now be getting warnings.

Yeh admittidly the older members of pinkbike will generally have more experience. However in some cases thats not the case, but you see people getting kicked down without a chance and its not nice. Good to see that its been reviewed and acted on!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 7:49 Quote
jallan wrote:
ezekiel82 wrote:
jallan wrote:

Yeh admittidly the older members of pinkbike will generally have more experience. However in some cases thats not the case, but you see people getting kicked down without a chance and its not nice. Good to see that its been reviewed and acted on!

Yeah I get sick to death of over baked thirty somethings trying desperatley to cling on to their youth rabbitting on as if they know it all... erm nope thats me. Learn from beginners and listen to the youth, respect experience and give the old boys some room to moan.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
In my mind there are two types of people in this forum. The down to earth, insightful posters, who can poke fun at each other without getting argumentative but still know where the line is. And then there are those who are disrespectful and feel it's their job to implant their ideas into everyone else.

Pinkbike is a big forum, member wise. No sense of talking to real people when it's one bike helmet photo talking to another. The internet is too impersonal for the general public to be polite.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
In my mind there are two types of people in this forum. The down to earth, insightful posters, who can poke fun at each other without getting argumentative but still know where the line is. And then there are those who are disrespectful and feel it's their job to implant their ideas into everyone else.

Pinkbike is a big forum, member wise. No sense of talking to real people when it's one bike helmet photo talking to another. The internet is too impersonal for the general public to be polite.

True, but the second you find a ring of people on pinkbike to have a good joke and chat then it becomes enjoyable and you'll feel less like you're talking to a brick wall.

FL
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 1:24 Quote
If I bought a house, set it up looking real nice, and then found flies in it, I'd just get rid of the flies, I wouldn't get mad and burn the house down. If somone writes or does somthing you dont like, just take no notice of it, don't try to retaliate or flame them at every opportunity, if they,ve got good things to say just take notice of that and discard what you dont like.Smile

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:23 Quote
My god Pinkbike is turning into a highschool.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
markewich wrote:
My god Pinkbike is turning into a highschool.

No kidding... Just the sheer number of postings seems to have gone down. Maybe it's the weather but posting numbers are certainly down.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 6:54 Quote
^^^ Thanks for those well thoughtout posts you two (sarcasm).

I have yet to input here, so I will:

I think pinkbike is an amazing place, I really do. As thom so elegantly put it once in his little poem (old schooler's thread, first page), this place is truly unique and not to mention huge. There is defiantly a conflict of interest between everyone and at all times. But it could always be worse instead of better is how I think of it.

It is winter, there are a lot of political type threads going on that seemingly debate serious issues to no avail, and this will probably cease once summer comes, and people realize that biking is what it is, biking, and if we want to post about it on the internet with people who share our interests, pinkbike is a great place to do it.

But Pinkbike is also what it is, a internet biking forum, and whether or not you take it to be something else, in the basic sense, it's just a place to express opinions, ideas, insight, and just basic discussion about everything and anything.

Because it's about everything and anything, guess what people will post?
"anything and everything"
If you let it get to you, you are punching sand, Pinkbike does need a chill pill in a sense, but in another sense, it's the same every winter. There's no way I would post all of this in the summer, because frankly, I wouldn't care as much, same goes for everyone else I can probably assume.

In my 4+ years, 6000+ posts or something, I have never seen Pinkbike in better shape, and I really thought about it too, I even went back into the old forum and looked at some old pages, it's all similar stuff. It's just a cyclical thing for all this stuff to happen.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 8:23 Quote
jakebrick wrote:
In my 4+ years, 6000+ posts or something, I have never seen Pinkbike in better shape, and I really thought about it too, I even went back into the old forum and looked at some old pages, it's all similar stuff. It's just a cyclical thing for all this stuff to happen.

Thank you, finally someone who actually went and looked at the old forum instead of just romanticizing the past. I hate it when I see people say stuff like "the old forum was so much better" or "the old forum had so many better people". News flash, very few of the frequent contributors on the old site actually left when the site switched over. Most of them are just under different names now or don't post as much but are still here. Mainly because as most people mature, they move away from the internet forum crowd at no ones fault.

I whole heartedly agree that this site has never been in better shape. This site started out a small bike forum that was mostly west coast riders. When I first joined, I was probably 1 of 10 or 20 active members from Ontario and now look at how many there are. Just look at how many international members we have now.

For the moderators, our abilities have never been as good as they are now. Before if we wanted someone suspended we had to find 1 of 3 people who could do it and then wait for them to receive the message and ban the person. Now we have the ability to do it ourselves. We can document everyone's warnings and suspensions.

In all honesty, the content of the site hasn't changed all that much over the years but I'm fine with that. I've seen people refer to Pinkbike as the kindergarten of internet forums because of the behaviour, I'm completely fine with that too. Kindergarten is where you learn the basics and if my invested time helps someone take that first step into the cycling world, then I'd do it a thousand time over. Just look at the members that people look up to, most of them were just rookies at one time asking stupid questions and now just try and stump them.

thatguydave wrote:
Maybe it's the weather but posting numbers are certainly down.

Rest assured they are not, month over month since the new site has launched there has been significant increases clear across the board.

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 at 15:03 Quote
It's true, pretty much everyone who is a newer mod (like last 2-3 years) at one time came here and probably had locked threads, deleted threads, maybe even got warned or banned once or twice. This is true of most of the old-schooler's who just love talking about bikes also. People grow up, and a lot of people hit a certain age and move onto other things besides pinkbike. I mean, there is a re-occuring thread about old members leaving, not just since the new site either, even before the change there were still posts like that all the time. Poeple can't be expected to stick around forever. I couldn't have said it better myself, but I really agree that most regulars on the old forums either are still here, or left for other reasons besides the change.

Adding more moderators may not be effective past a certain point (obviously), but I think it was made pinkbike way better since there are way more mods, not worse. I don't know the structure of the mod heirarchy, but I'm sure you guys are pretty effective.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 23:37 Quote
While this thread may not be the most elegant airing of soiled linens on record, it serves a purpose.
This forum does in fact exist as a virtual community on many levels and requires that a certain percentage of the members be active, interested and informed or there would be no value in the site's continuance as a vehicle of information and style in the MTBing world.
For any community to function healthily, there must be moderation, tolerance and transparency evident in the actions of the leadership.
No (free) forum like this is ever going to run flawlessly, but at least it would seem that members who play an active role in contributing here, can see that there was at least some effort made to hear the needs of the core users, implement them when circumstances were appropriate, and allow the community to witness the outcome.
It would only take an interested party, merely minutes of perusing the last few months of contentious threads on Pinkbike to see that some ears were very fond of only hearing responses in voices parroting their own.
The wheel turns, we find new trails. One hopes we all find some satisfaction on the paths we've chosen for ourselves.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 23:45 Quote
I failed to mention that we Canadians should take pride in knowing that this started here and has grown to truly international participation.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017009
Mobile Version of Website