Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Crazy braking idea, but it is possible.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crazy braking idea, but it is possible.
Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 13:12 Quote
I ride, and as much as I hate to call it that, "All Mountain". Which is the new name for proper XC. I just take downhills like a downhiller.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
I ride, and as much as I hate to call it that, "All Mountain". Which is the new name for proper XC. I just take downhills like a downhiller.

What do you mean by "proper XC"? I'm a racer, and there's no way I'd race with more than 4" of travel in the back. It's just too much weight and reduces your pedaling efficiency by a hell of a lot. Where you wouldn't want to do "AM" (I hate the name too) with less than 4"... Mind you, if you're doing recreational XC, then by all means, use as much travel as you want, but for racing, more travel = more weight = bad.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 13:23 Quote
I like my brakes locking up!

Helps you get round some pretty sketch corners somedays

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
Ganray81 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

What do you mean by "proper XC"? I'm a racer, and there's no way I'd race with more than 4" of travel in the back. It's just too much weight and reduces your pedaling efficiency by a hell of a lot. Where you wouldn't want to do "AM" (I hate the name too) with less than 4"... Mind you, if you're doing recreational XC, then by all means, use as much travel as you want, but for racing, more travel = more weight = bad.

I mean going up the mountain and back down. Really pushing the limits of your body, mind and bike. Not road racing on the mud.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 14:29 Quote
I'm gonna put my 2cent on this...
When i want to lock my wheel and skid, i push my lever at a certain level...
When i want to rub the disc and slow down at a desired speed, i push the lever at a certain level considering the speed i wish to reach...
When i don't want to touch the disc at all, i don't push the lever...
So, i don't need an abs system and i don't want one.... if they ever get invented for bikes.

But, for really beginner rider and tendem riders, i think it would be useful.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 15:10 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
Ganray81 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

I mean going up the mountain and back down. Really pushing the limits of your body, mind and bike. Not road racing on the mud.

I don't want to start an argument here, but who said that XC racing isn't pushing the limits of your body and bike? I don't do short, 2-hour races, but can you ride for 24 hours non-stop, and can your bike keep it up without falling apart for 24 hours non-stop? Or how about riding across a part of Alaska in February for 3 days?? I think not.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 15:28 Quote
Ganyay81 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
Ganray81 wrote:

I don't want to start an argument here, but who said that XC racing isn't pushing the limits of your body and bike? I don't do short, 2-hour races, but can you ride for 24 hours non-stop, and can your bike keep it up without falling apart for 24 hours non-stop? Or how about riding across a part of Alaska in February for 3 days?? I think not.

I didn't want to start an argument either. I just enjoy peoples responses to what I say.

I always wanted to enter a 24 hour. That would be awesome!

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
Ganyay81 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

I didn't want to start an argument either. I just enjoy peoples responses to what I say.

http://www.chicoracing.com/html/index.php Check 'em out.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 20:48 Quote
this is a cool thread.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
pintobeanjar wrote:
what about a traction control system. Say your front wheel is sliding the computer could grab your rear brake and take some pressure of the front wheel (in theory), i'm not sure if that will work or not because i am not willing to try or am i fast enough to try.

It's just easier to let go of the front brake, or reduce the pressure.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 5:35 Quote
Ganyay81 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
Ganyay81 wrote:

I find it funny how you jump to the conclusion acting as if you are superior towards madmike, assuming that he cannot perform in certain events. You literally have no idea what he is capable of but by assuming such a thing you only make an ass of yourself and look like one cocky bastard. I don't think he could give a grap if you can ride for 3 days across alaska. I think i should take this opportunity to brag about my road racing abilities on a downhill bike, yes its stupid but i have done an epic distance on a downhill bike using roads.

bigquotesbut who said that XC racing isn't pushing the limits of your body and bike?

The only gripe i have with this is the fact you are unable to cope with a little extra weight on the back and you seem to complain about weight so much, therefore you technically aren't really pushing it to the limits. Although you could come back saying i could strap a 2 ton weight to my bike and still not pushing it, but you should understand what i mean. Some people can cope with extra weight and not be arsed with it.

Anyway, you're a bloody genius bigging yourself up about your acheivements, hats off to you, I don't think madmike is looking for a partner.

^ I know there isn't such a need for this but seriously, you come across as an idiot when you brag.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
jallan wrote:
Ganyay81 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:

I find it funny how you jump to the conclusion acting as if you are superior towards madmike, assuming that he cannot perform in certain events. You literally have no idea what he is capable of but by assuming such a thing you only make an ass of yourself and look like one cocky bastard. I don't think he could give a grap if you can ride for 3 days across alaska. I think i should take this opportunity to brag about my road racing abilities on a downhill bike, yes its stupid but i have done an epic distance on a downhill bike using roads.

bigquotesbut who said that XC racing isn't pushing the limits of your body and bike?

The only gripe i have with this is the fact you are unable to cope with a little extra weight on the back and you seem to complain about weight so much, therefore you technically aren't really pushing it to the limits. Although you could come back saying i could strap a 2 ton weight to my bike and still not pushing it, but you should understand what i mean. Some people can cope with extra weight and not be arsed with it.

Anyway, you're a bloody genius bigging yourself up about your acheivements, hats off to you, I don't think madmike is looking for a partner.

^ I know there isn't such a need for this but seriously, you come across as an idiot when you brag.

Who was bragging? I was simply saying that "regular" XC is pushing the limits of your bike. Also "regular" XC is usually put side-by-side with racing XC. If you're racing to win, would you like to strap a 2 tonne weight to your bike? No, 'cause it slows you down.

As for his abilities, most people here are younger kids who do downhill and freeride all the time. Their bodies are conditioned to be thrown and around and to throw around. They need short-term strength to do that well. In other words, fast-twitch muscles. In endurance cycling (XC) that's the last thing you want are fast-twitch muscles because they're used for anaerobic activity. They burn a lot of calories fast. You want slow-twitch muscles for endurance cycling because they're efficient at burning calories, and can keep going for a long time.

There's also the factor of nutrition, stretching, building a base, intensity training, dealing with weather, maintenance, health, you name it.

I wasn't stating that I'm better than him. I was simply stating that "proper" XC and "AM" are two different things. Also, that XC isn't just riding around fire roads on a road bike. I was defending the term XC because it's what I do, and too many people shoot it down without even taking a good look (or ride) at it.

If you didn't read on later, we chilled the discussion. If he, or anyone else wants to do a 24hr race, more power to 'em! I had no idea that he didn't want to try XC racing. He originally sounded like an XC basher (no offense madmike), but it's obvious now that he isn't.

You're just being more of an ass than I ever was my insulting me like that and putting words in my mouth I didn't say. We ended this argument, and now you're just being a child by bringing it back up.

How about you get lost and go blow a dead goat. We don't need your dumb, small vocabulary of insults on the forum. We were having a real gentleman's conversation until you came onto it.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
Also, dumbass, that I was making a serious note on XC RACING and that I also noted that RECREATIONAL XC, you can ride whatever the hell you want. I race, he might not, I care about weight because it makes a huge difference, he may not.

So again, go blow that dead goat of yours and f*ck off.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
Alright, that's gone on much to far. Just shut up, before a thread gets locked due to immaturity.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 12:11 Quote
how bout them jays?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022324
Mobile Version of Website