Powered by Outside

Embarrassed about full Face helmet?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Embarrassed about full Face helmet?
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 at 3:13 Quote
Whats more embarrassing?

Wearing a FF helmet or having no teeth? (exaggeration but you get my point)

Get a Bell Super DH.
Light. Keeps your head cool. Very protective. Removable chinbar for those cruisy days.

Don't go skimping out or second guessing protection for your head

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
Bongofisj wrote:
Hi all,

My first post here so be gentle with me haha.

I've really got into MTB in the last 3 months and 2 weeks ago got the calibre bossnut Evo full suspension MTB.

I ride aroundy local woods and country trails but want to start going to proper mountain bike trails around me. I'm 32 and work full time with a mortgage and children so not injuring myself is also a main priority.

I would like to wear a full Face helmet while trying out trials and I'll m not a very confident rider at the moment.

But would I look daft with a full Face riding slowly round trials or is it ok to do so?

Don't worry about what the fashion police think.

Not being injured is more important than fashion.

I crashed on a tiny hill. Landed on my cheek bone. I am in my 5th week of a concussion that has probably dropped my IQ by 50 points.

A full face helmet would have probably saved me.

Based on the advice I got from this great community ... Went out and bought a Bell full face with a removable chin strap and MIPS liner.

I wear it all the time now.

I wish I wore it before I had a concussion.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 9:33 Quote
Wear whatever you want to wear man, as you'll enjoy the ride more. With that being said, there was a guy at my local XC area a few days back in knee pads, elbow pads, full face helmet, with a go pro on top of his head. This seemed a little over the top for me, particularly given it was 97 degrees that day.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 12:00 Quote
Derickh wrote:
Bongofisj wrote:
Hi all,

My first post here so be gentle with me haha.

I've really got into MTB in the last 3 months and 2 weeks ago got the calibre bossnut Evo full suspension MTB.

I ride aroundy local woods and country trails but want to start going to proper mountain bike trails around me. I'm 32 and work full time with a mortgage and children so not injuring myself is also a main priority.

I would like to wear a full Face helmet while trying out trials and I'll m not a very confident rider at the moment.

But would I look daft with a full Face riding slowly round trials or is it ok to do so?

Don't worry about what the fashion police think.

Not being injured is more important than fashion.

I crashed on a tiny hill. Landed on my cheek bone. I am in my 5th week of a concussion that has probably dropped my IQ by 50 points.

A full face helmet would have probably saved me.

Based on the advice I got from this great community ... Went out and bought a Bell full face with a removable chin strap and MIPS liner.

I wear it all the time now.

I wish I wore it before I had a concussion.

I digress-- the fashion police is an important governing body.

Stay protected, but dont wear a bunch of bright clothes with letters, designs and logos all over the place. At least if youre ever riding around town.

Cheers

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 1:33 Quote
Wear as much protection as you want, and don't give a flying turd what some shallow jerk might think of you. I've worn a FF for most of my biking... I do have a half-shell, and it's great, but when the consequences get real... better safe than sorry. Yeah, a FF can be a bit less comfortable, but you sort of get used to it... it's worth it.

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 21:21 Quote
I've been riding for a few years and have been rocking the Leatt DB3 with removable chin bar. Honestly I just keep the chin bar on except in mellow rides when it gets to 100 degrees. I work in the medical field and can't go to work with scrapes and such, so I wear I'm knee/shin pads and elbow pads as well. Sometimes people think I'm the fastest dude on the mountain by the way I look and we have a good laugh. Just be comfortable and have fun. A lot of crashes are kind of freak things; clipping a pedal, branch sticking out, etc.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 2:13 Quote
Don't let what others think worry you, if you want to wear a full face helmet then do so! Smile

When it comes to your head I don't think it's possible to have too much protection and I wear a full face pretty much all the time whether it's really 'necessary' or not. I have a 6D ATR-1; not the cheapest option but after doing some research it seemed to be the most protective helmet available, it's super comfortable and doesn't get too hot for me so it gets worn on 99% of my rides. It probably gets me some funny looks when I'm out doing tame stuff but that honestly doesn't bother me, I'm more comfortable with that level of protection so people can think whatever they want!

As someone mentioned before I doubt anyone in the mountain bike community would laugh or care if you want to wear a full face, if anyone else does then that's their problem, not yours. At least you're safer than they are!

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 7:33 Quote
Embarrassment can only be measured on an individual basis. Do I ride with full body armor and a full face all of the time when I am just out for a pedal? No, but I also do not have the responsibilities of a family to deal with. I have plenty of buddies that do the full gear thing, and I will never say a word. If that is what it takes for you to go out and have fun and make you feel comfortable, what the hell does what I think matter? Do you man, haters gonna hate.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 17:07 Quote
Go for it! Nothing wrong with a full face and if you crash on your face there's a lot right about one! There are some pretty light and cool ffs out now that should be tolerable for trail riding.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014290
Mobile Version of Website