Powered by Outside

Set me up for EWS 2020

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 6:08 Quote
Roguee wrote:
Can vouch for a Murmur here, have mine about 8 months now and its stud up well to 3 months in Europe, and also gotten me my best result to date (Personally but not on Paper as it was Qualifying at the Redbull Foxhunt) Feels like alot more than the 145mm travel suggests, abit like the Sentinel I would imagine.

For racing in Europe next year I want to ideally get a burlier wheelset than the Hope Tech Enduros, ditch the 12spd for 11 and get a bigger shock as the ccdb inline was struggling with overheating on the bigger tracks so dont make those mistakes!

Mine has a 64.5 ha, 480 reach but you can get the taiwon made ones cheaper now with 65 ha and 485 reach on the large. Being honest I genuinly think it is as quick as any bike at the moment and is really well suited to the big alpine tracks. I dont plan on changing mine any time soon

Interesting bike. Why the switch from 12 speed to 11?

FL
Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 7:39 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
Interesting bike. Why the switch from 12 speed to 11?

Just personal preference really I suppose, Had GX Eagle and just didnt get along. Managed to bend the cranks and chainring and just feels abit cheap compared to similarly priced group sets. Just going to ride it through the winter then switch to XT with XTR shifter and DMR cranks for next year.

EDIT: Chat to Joe from Starling if your interested, They are based in Bristol. Custom geometry on the UK made ones and he will talk through everything and help you decide which is best for you. He does some pretty good prices for parts on custom builds too. Im pretty sure they are putting together a demo fleet at the moment so worth asking about that!... The reviews don't lie..

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
Have a look at the new Radon Swoop. I was going for the Commencal Meta 29 team myself, but finally went with the Radon. Geo almost identical with Yeti SB150, great reviews of previous model, bottle cage mount, brilliant builds in all versions and a ridiculous price tag.
Cheers

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 19:24 Quote
I'm biased but I'd go with the sentinel. Best bang for your buck and if you don't want to upgrade many parts then I'd go with a the x01 build. I haven't ridden any of those other bikes except for the HTLT, and I really don't understand what the hype is about. IMHO, it's really tame and overall just wasn't exciting. The geo for the HT and the bronson too is just awkward for me. You can get better bikes for much cheaper (like transition bikes). The Rallon seems like a good choice based on what I've heard.

One thing I'd say is with the sentinel, carbon is definitely worth the money as there is actually a pretty good weight difference from the aluminum compared to other brands that have both carbon and AL models. I'm not a weight weenie at all, but I consider the carbon sentinel to be a light bike.

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 3:12 Quote
matiass wrote:
Have a look at the new Radon Swoop. I was going for the Commencal Meta 29 team myself, but finally went with the Radon. Geo almost identical with Yeti SB150, great reviews of previous model, bottle cage mount, brilliant builds in all versions and a ridiculous price tag.
Cheers
Just looked at the 2019 versions and they are really good. Good shout there.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
Lol. Great video. The ransom is a good bike to be fair. Although not sure I could justify the cost over something alloy like the bird am9.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 22:52 Quote
I just raced the Les Orres EWS100 on an AM9. If I was setting it up specifically for enduro racing I'd definitely go with a coil shock. Some kind of climb switch on the shock is good to have for the liaisons. As mentioned earlier, it's a tight fit getting a piggyback shock and a bottle in the frame, but it's doable with certain shocks and/or bottle mount adapters. I have a RS super deluxe air, elite cannibal bottle holder and a wolftooth b-rad adapter and I can just fit in a 620ml camelback podium bottle with some millimeters to spare.

The low leverage ratio might need a custom tuned shock. I ordered the super deluxe with the frame and frankly it was pretty horrible, just clunky and feeling dead. Luckily I got SRAM team to revalve my shock at the paddocks before the race.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
TLa wrote:
I just raced the Les Orres EWS100 on an AM9. If I was setting it up specifically for enduro racing I'd definitely go with a coil shock. Some kind of climb switch on the shock is good to have for the liaisons. As mentioned earlier, it's a tight fit getting a piggyback shock and a bottle in the frame, but it's doable with certain shocks and/or bottle mount adapters. I have a RS super deluxe air, elite cannibal bottle holder and a wolftooth b-rad adapter and I can just fit in a 620ml camelback podium bottle with some millimeters to spare.

The low leverage ratio might need a custom tuned shock. I ordered the super deluxe with the frame and frankly it was pretty horrible, just clunky and feeling dead. Luckily I got SRAM team to revalve my shock at the paddocks before the race.

I take it the bike felt plenty capable? I'm waiting for entry to open in December for next year's ews 100 and I'm going to try a bag a round or two. Definitely going to need a new bike as racing the spindrift on a big enduro like that is going to be too much I think.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
I take it the bike felt plenty capable? I'm waiting for entry to open in December for next year's ews 100 and I'm going to try a bag a round or two. Definitely going to need a new bike as racing the spindrift on a big enduro like that is going to be too much I think.

It sure did. For my 94kg riding weight I have MT5's with 203mm discs f+r, Maxxis DD casing front and DH rear with Pepi's tire inserts and I was really happy with that setup, could have gone DH casing for front also if I had those. I didn't have enough ride time before the race to setup the newly valved shock, so the shock setup wasn't that great. Like said, coil would be cool but nothing wrong with a properly set up air shock.

Looking to go again next year to a different ews100 race!

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 2:55 Quote
OK so I may be coming into some money in the coming months which will allow me reasonable reach for a new bike. I'm going to sell my DH bike and propain spindrift in favour of something a little more enduro friendly, although I'm very impressed with how the propain has handled the enduros I've races to date.
I like propain as a brand and I test rode a tyee carbon with cane creek inlinne coil the other day and it was great, I really liked it. So now. I'm considering the tyee carbon with a great build kit or the bird am9 with similar build. The propain actually comes in cheaper even with the carbon frame which is amazing. I loved it when I rode it and I also like how it looks. Resale will be harder as not everyone likes the propain shock placement but I'm also getting alot more for my money and if I sell my current bikes and use the proceeds it won't cost that much at all which would give me the freedom to buy spare wheels and spares for racing etc.
Any thoughts on the tyee or any bikes that may suit me better? I'm not really sure how much difference I feel between wheel sizes in reality.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 4:01 Quote
GAMBLER TuuuuuuNED! And rock it like you mean it!

:-D

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 4:03 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
GAMBLER TuuuuuuNED! And rock it like you mean it!

:-D
????????

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 4:04 Quote
That’s a bike I’d sure get if I had excess dollar burning a hole.

Part of my reply was pure sarcasm though mind.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
That’s a bike I’d sure get if I had excess dollar burning a hole.

Part of my reply was pure sarcasm though mind.

Ha yes mate, amazing bit of kit. Enduro would deffo be a challenge haha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014295
Mobile Version of Website