Powered by Outside

Kona Process 134 Thread

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 134 Thread
O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:
Does the short chainstay create more tire to butt contact then the more traditional lengths for 29ers?

i havent ridden other 29ers but i do hit my calf and butt on the tire from time to time

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 23, 2020 at 22:25 Quote
Currently running the stock superdeluxe on the current model 134, considering upgrading it with either a megneg aircan or swap for a dhx2 coil. Does anyone have any experience/ insight running either setup/ coil in general on the 134? Planning on bumping the pike up front to 150mm. Right now the pros of the megneg would be that it is easier to tune/adjust with spacers and bands (run it on a commencal meta currently), cheaper, and actually easy to source with the state of the supply chain at the moment. DHX2 upgrade would be unreal providing it ever comes back in stock with a bit of time/$ spent on dialing in the right spring and tuning. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
I have the 2021 Kona process 134 29er (base model, aluminum). I want to do some upgrades, including getting a new fork (marzocchii bomber z2), and then I was thinking about getting a coil shock (marzocchi bomber CR). Anyone have experience with doing this? How did turn out? Should I consider this, or will it make my bike too heavy?

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 6:09 Quote
Saiyuhn wrote:
I have the 2021 Kona process 134 29er (base model, aluminum). I want to do some upgrades, including getting a new fork (marzocchii bomber z2), and then I was thinking about getting a coil shock (marzocchi bomber CR). Anyone have experience with doing this? How did turn out? Should I consider this, or will it make my bike too heavy?

I wouldn't put a coil on the 134. Someone can correct me but from how it rides with an air can, I don't think the kinematics would work very well. I suspect you would just blow through your travel. I think they optimized the suspension design for an air shock.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 7:45 Quote
I reached out to Kona when I was looking for bikes and asked them about putting a coil on a 134. They said it was no problem and would work fine. Apparently the leverage curve is progressive enough for it to work well without any hiccups. That's a different from the 2020 (and earlier) process 153s, which are more linear. I tried a coil on my 153 and it bottomed out too easily. I would have needed a progressive coil to make it happy. I sold the coil and stuck with air, and have been pretty pleased with it. The 134 is supposed to be a better candidate for a coil though. Good luck!

rahrider wrote:
Saiyuhn wrote:

I wouldn't put a coil on the 134. Someone can correct me but from how it rides with an air can, I don't think the kinematics would work very well. I suspect you would just blow through your travel. I think they optimized the suspension design for an air shock.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
Talking with Craig at avalanche about this, he said the 134 is probably still going to bottom out with a coil on big hits. He suggested a bumper system on a coil. I ordered one from him 4 months ago, still waiting for it though so I can't comment on how well it works

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 20:59 Quote
I have the 2018 Process 134 and would like to put a longer travel fork on it (from 140mm). I am considering a 160mm Lyrik. Would this mess up the geo too much?

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
my 143 AL/DL i have been enjoying some winter riding.

kona process
kona process

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 5:47 Quote
cwight wrote:
Currently running the stock superdeluxe on the current model 134, considering upgrading it with either a megneg aircan or swap for a dhx2 coil. Does anyone have any experience/ insight running either setup/ coil in general on the 134? Planning on bumping the pike up front to 150mm. Right now the pros of the megneg would be that it is easier to tune/adjust with spacers and bands (run it on a commencal meta currently), cheaper, and actually easy to source with the state of the supply chain at the moment. DHX2 upgrade would be unreal providing it ever comes back in stock with a bit of time/$ spent on dialing in the right spring and tuning. Cheers.

I just put coil shock and fork both built by avalanche on my 134 and can say for sure that it is now a far far better bike. Every riding characteristic is improved. Now, avalanche makes some unreal stuff but I'd guess that even a dhx2 would do the trick. As for fork,I left mine at 140 but with the coil it sits higher in the travel and feels like a 150 or 160. You could probably get away with a 150 or 160 air fork on the 134.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
I have a dhx2 and Fox 34@150mm on my Process134. Was going to go coil but I'm loving this set up, Absolutely Love it!! Have a Process165 too and literally just finished installing a Springdex coil on my Super Deluxe.
AlexBreck wrote:
cwight wrote:

I just put coil shock and fork both built by avalanche on my 134 and can say for sure that it is now a far far better bike. Every riding characteristic is improved. Now, avalanche makes some unreal stuff but I'd guess that even a dhx2 would do the trick. As for fork,I left mine at 140 but with the coil it sits higher in the travel and feels like a 150 or 160. You could probably get away with a 150 or 160 air fork on the 134.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 19:43 Quote
My 134 CR/DL in Sedona.
photo

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 5:40 Quote
That's such a rad color

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
Does anyone have any experience with putting a 160 fork on?

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 8:24 Quote
wgrdmtb wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with putting a 160 fork on?

I have seen a lot of builds with 150mm.
https://cog.konaworld.com/kona-dream-builds-jasons-process-134-is-a-masterpiece/

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
Yes, I am planning to put a 150mm Lyric on my process. I think 160 would probably put too much stress on the head tube, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023516
Mobile Version of Website