Powered by Outside

Is the Gary Fisher Kingfisher worth it?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Is the Gary Fisher Kingfisher worth it?
Posted: Jan 17, 2009 at 20:35 Quote
oh wait ignore what I said I just remembered it was that my derailler spring snapped thats what the problem was.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 13:42 Quote
my dropouts where what was creaking, i tightened them and it quit.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
I have a 2006 Kingfisher, and while I won't try to claim that it's a perfect bike or anything like that, I do think that they are a very underrated SP frame with great potential to do what they were designed for.
And that's to be a general duty gravity oriented bike, with vast potential for upgrading and personalizing to meet individual needs.

That infamous KF creaking is indeed the dropouts. I admit that I had a regular issue with the non drive side dropout loosening fairly regularly. I solved this permanently by replacing the stock bolts with a better grade, and fastening them down with Ny-Lock nuts. Do this for all the dropout bolts, and problem solved for good.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:40 Quote
I would have gotten the bolts replaced because mine are coming loose drivetrain side but the shop said Gary Fisher doesn't have anymore bolts available.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
rollinwith26s wrote:
I would have gotten the bolts replaced because mine are coming loose drivetrain side but the shop said Gary Fisher doesn't have anymore bolts available.

Ever hear of Canadian Tire?

Posted: Oct 13, 2011 at 13:44 Quote
FlyingFish wrote:

my bike is creaking i thought it was the spokes or something, but havent looked threw it did you put grease between it

Posted: Oct 17, 2011 at 17:23 Quote
mikeonetray13 wrote:
FlyingFish wrote:

my bike is creaking i thought it was the spokes or something, but havent looked threw it did you put grease between it

I would. Its metal on Metal, so grease it. Also, check the BB (I dont know how long its been since you took it out and re-greased the threads, but that can cause creaking. Also, if the dropout and BB arent the cause then you may also try loc-titing the pivot bolts

Posted: Oct 17, 2011 at 22:57 Quote
I'm going to greasr the drop outs and try it. I went riding at northstar before they closed and my drop outs werr lose on the drive side I believe

Posted: Oct 17, 2011 at 22:58 Quote
That's my only problem with it

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 16:16 Quote
romer wrote:
Kingfishers are absolute pieces. I took one for a test ride and bottomed out the shock continually off a three foot drop!! It wasn't because of the shock setting. The single pivot linkage on the bike is at the wrong spot or something.

It's not a real free ride bike... If you like single pivots go for a cannondale perp which is more money but well worth it.

I'm pretty sure its the shock setting, i changed mine from a 450lb. to a 550lb. and its great now

Posted: Mar 17, 2013 at 16:55 Quote
I rode mine for 2 years at northstar and mammoth no problems

Posted: Jun 14, 2013 at 17:46 Quote
2007 King Fisher 1 stock shock blew at whistler due to wrong spring size, needs the heavy rated spring and they came stock with the medium weight spring inside so no good for 170lbe rider at whistler. Medium spring was great everywhere else though just not good for hucking...

I put on 888`s and now it rocks easy to control in the air and keeps the speed on turns no worries...

Single pivot bikes are a little more bouncy then say FSR so it is what it is and perfect for a beginner, you can keep the suspension plush and lower the tire pressure for more Cush. I`m running Maxxis Minions 60a dhf on both front and rear and no problems with 20psi front and 25psi rear for jumps, and North shore riding. Sometimes lower psi for shore and no problems.

This bike is great for hucking :]

That creaking sound is the crank guaranteed take it out and grease is it`s easy....

Posted: Jun 21, 2013 at 12:16 Quote
The kingfisher is a beast regaurdless I'm 240. do drops/road gaps never broker
I have a single travis 180mm with a 24 on the back

Posted: Nov 9, 2014 at 14:20 Quote
What size is the bottom bracket of these Gary fisher kingfisher 2006

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021237
Mobile Version of Website