Powered by Outside

2021 Giant Fathom

PB Forum :: Giant
2021 Giant Fathom
Posted: Sep 8, 2021 at 4:19 Quote
Started hunting for a 2022 Fathom 29 1 with that beautiful orange paint!

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
D-Rock72 wrote:
Started hunting for a 2022 Fathom 29 1 with that beautiful orange paint!

Oh wow. I hadn't seen the new colors yet. Looks like it's called "Amber Glow." Definitely an eye-catcher!

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
Just got the Fathom 1 in 29". I have not been on a hardtail in years besides my fatty. Super fun bike, geo seems sweet with specs comparable to the aggressive style of riding I do. Such a different ride than my RIP 9 but I wanted to mix it up. Components are a good spec no issues thus far.

Posted: Jan 9, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
I am considering going with fathom 2022 29 as my xc/trail bike.
I think to have 2 wheelsets - light 29 for xc/marathon and 27,5+ for shredding more demanding trails.

Does anybody have information about:
-frame weight in xl size
- the weight of the entire bike(stock)
- 29 and 27,7+ is it compatible to switch

TNX

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 0:25 Quote
hostler wrote:
I think to have 2 wheelsets - light 29 for xc/marathon and 27,5+ for shredding more demanding trails.

-frame weight in xl size

TNX
Got a 29-2 on order, should get it end of March as per my bike shop.

I've seen right about 30lbs w/o pedals for a Medium for the whole bike. As for wheelsets, it seems like everything is identical for the 27.5 and 29er versions, BB height isnt ajusted for or anything like that, so I'm assuming clearance doesnt change either. But I cant say for sure. That said you should prolly just rock the OE 29s and have your XC set on the side, imo.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 11:02 Quote
hostler wrote:

-frame weight in xl size

TNX

Mine is a 2021 Fathom 29 1 in size L, stock weight was ~13.7 kg (little bit more than 30 lbs). I haven't weighed the frame alone, I suspect it's somewhere in the 2100-2200 grams range.
My Fathom is highly tuned now anyway, Magura MT7 brakes, DT Swiss EXC1501 wheelset, superlight saddle (~130 grams), 10-50t SRAM XX1 cog, SRAM GX AXS EAgle shifting, XX1 Quarq DZero power meter+crankset, XTR pedals. Now it' 12.2 kgs with pedals (~26,8 lbs). Heavy stuff on the wheelset, Minion 29wt DHF 2.5 exo 3c maxxterra at front, Dissector 29wt 2.4 exo maxxterra at rear (setup as tubeless). With xc wheelset+tires by ~1 kg could be less Wink

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 2:00 Quote
Great info
with around of 11.5kg it would be more than good for xc riding and amateur racing
TNX

zscs wrote:
hostler wrote:

-frame weight in xl size

TNX

Mine is a 2021 Fathom 29 1 in size L, stock weight was ~13.7 kg (little bit more than 30 lbs). I haven't weighed the frame alone, I suspect it's somewhere in the 2100-2200 grams range.
My Fathom is highly tuned now anyway, Magura MT7 brakes, DT Swiss EXC1501 wheelset, superlight saddle (~130 grams), 10-50t SRAM XX1 cog, SRAM GX AXS EAgle shifting, XX1 Quarq DZero power meter+crankset, XTR pedals. Now it' 12.2 kgs with pedals (~26,8 lbs). Heavy stuff on the wheelset, Minion 29wt DHF 2.5 exo 3c maxxterra at front, Dissector 29wt 2.4 exo maxxterra at rear (setup as tubeless). With xc wheelset+tires by ~1 kg could be less Wink

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 16:23 Quote
I test rode a 2021 Fathom 2 today. Overall I really liked it except for the brakes.

Has there been any recent info on the reported issues with the fork and chain jumping off in the low gears?

The 2022 is getting a 1x10 drivetrain instead of the 1x12 so would prefer to stick to the ’21 but don’t want to have issues.

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
Anyone try running 29x2.6 tires on the Fathom? I check at the shop and it looks like there might be enough clearance but it might be a little tight on the chainstays. Also, did anyone notice that the 2022 Fathom 1 has a Fork called the Giant Crest 34 SL RCL and know if that is a new fork and any different then the Crest RCL? The fork in the picture on the 2022 Fathom 1 has decals that say SL also. Can't find any info if the SL RCL is any different than the original Crest 34 RCL. I even called a couple Giant shops and they tried to assure me there is no such thing/no difference, but I just think they have not had experience with many of the new models yet. Any thoughts?
Anyone try bikepacking with the Fathom? Wondering how the all day comfort and putting in 30-40 miles/day would be (probably need different tires for faster rolling I imagine...)

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 20:04 Quote
Virtus3 wrote:
I test rode a 2021 Fathom 2 today. Overall I really liked it except for the brakes.

Has there been any recent info on the reported issues with the fork and chain jumping off in the low gears?

The 2022 is getting a 1x10 drivetrain instead of the 1x12 so would prefer to stick to the ’21 but don’t want to have issues.

I have been curious about that same issue, did they fix those issues on the ones coming out for this year?

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 20:07 Quote
zscs wrote:
hostler wrote:

-frame weight in xl size

TNX

Just curious but do you think you could run 2.6 wide 29ers on the Fathom? If not in the rear than least in the front maybe?

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
Wjmoxey wrote:
Virtus3 wrote:

I have been curious about that same issue, did they fix those issues on the ones coming out for this year?
Mine seems all good with the 10 speed ! Range is plenty !
photo

Posted: Sep 26, 2022 at 1:49 Quote
2021 Fathom 1 29er.

I was tossing up between the Fathom and the Kona Honzo and after riding them they were pretty much identical, I put them into 99spokes and it confirmed it. I went with the Fathom as I preferred the look of the frame etc.

I have since upgraded the fork to a 150mm PIKE Ultimate have turned a great bike into an absolutely amazing one.

It originally had RS Silver TK Solo Air fork on it, but the Pike shaved off 700g and gave me some crazy riding options that has turned this well into an all-mountain setup.

Love it to bits.

Recently upgraded the crankset and went to GX with 32t chainring. I was going to replace the rear cassette however the rear wheel refuses to die no matter how much abuse I throw at it.

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 3:21 Quote
NewmarketMTB wrote:
NB at the time of purchase it was the only bike in the shop I could get due to COVID and stuff, what I really wanted was a Merida big trail 600!

Funny enough I was looking for a Fathom around that time and struggled to find one, but my local shop had a Merida Big Trail 500 in stock which I bought instead and love it. A few changes like upgrading the fork from a Recon to a Z2 (like the 600 version) changed it from a good bike to a great one.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2023 at 3:27 Quote
To be honest I had barely even heard of the Big Trail before seeing it in the shop that day, once I looked up the geometry etc I was quite happy to take it!

Thats unfortunate with the tyres, I've never had that problem before (Big Trail came with Dissectors, my Reign and the Trance I had before it came with DHF/DHR though I'm running different tyres now).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021477
Mobile Version of Website