Powered by Outside

Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 19:12 Quote
calgary NEEDS an indoor park for bikes.

Mod
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 19:18 Quote
The empty land by Millennium Park isn’t so empty. Although there is nothing there as of yet, the land has already been purchased by a developer. Therefore, you are unable to build dirt jumps there unless that was what the developer had intended on doing. I highly doubt that though. I am thinking something like upscale condos in order to deal with the rapid influx of people to this city. On another note about having a foam pit in Calgary, you just have to know who to ride with and make sure that you become good friends with them so they will invite you to session it with them.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 19:58 Quote
I still think building at home foods would be a good idea, it's sloped, has easy access and it's easy to get food and stuff when you're sessioning. I doubt the city will build a dirt jump park or there will be another indoor skatepark where bikes are allowed. They especially would not build a dirtjump park by millenium because that's valuable land.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 20:03 Quote
But you can ride at Millenium right? And what about that one up by Westside Rec. Centre?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 20:04 Quote
Oh, where is this Home Foods place?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 20:42 Quote
KonaShred21 wrote:
Oh, where is this Home Foods place?

It is located just off of McLeod trail between Chinook and 39th ave Ctrain stations. It is an empty lot right across from the restaurant Home Food Inn, you can't miss it.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 9:11 Quote
Dude, I'm in the N.W. Anything up here?

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 11:18 Quote
A few good DJ's off Panarama Hills in the NW. Just above the Golf Course and Beddington Blvd. Follow the bike path from the entrance to the GC to the bluffs! Nice small gap too.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 11:25 Quote
so, is this the "tell everyone where it is so it gets plowed" thread

westside=shit hole
milly=good if you can ride street
too many kids show up to do booters to flat on their mtbs it's pretty sad to watch
Theres isn't a big enough riding population for an indoor bike park
they'd have to charge waaay too much for it in order to keep it running
Calgary is a great place to ride IMO just diversify yourselfs
hell, I rip a road bike as well now so I have so much more potential to ride.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 12:01 Quote
a roadie? why are you here?

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:43 Quote
KonaShred21 wrote:
a roadie? why are you here?

Don't be a moron. Schwing said he ALSO rips a road bike because there is only so much to ride in the city. He's talking about diversifying your style of riding. He also happens to be a rad mountain biker and can hold is own in more than one style of riding.

If you can't find anything to ride in the NW of the city, which has a huge amount of recreational green space, you aren't looking hard enough. There is tons to ride, you don't always have to hit a set of rythms or a wooden structure for fun. The NW of Calgary has some of the nicest singletrack trails in the city.

1) Tuscany Ravine is unreal, start at the top and work your way towards the river valley, it allows for some of the lazyer freeriders to not get their heart pumping to fast. Hey! maybe you can even arrange a pickup at the bottom so you don't have to ride back up!Confused
2) Bowmont Natural Park, just a little east of Tuscany, the Bowmont area extends from Scenic Acres, past Silver Springs, and over towards Montgomery and Varsity. The City has dont some trail maintenance along here, and have made a few of the classics buttery smooth.
3) Nose Hill Park, go hit some old school cliffs on the east side just up 14th Street. If not, there's some great trails (it's one of the largest inner city natural parks in North America, surely there's something).
4) Country Hills, as others have said, there's dirtjumps and at least 1 roadgap up there, also located in the Northwest.
5) Millenium is a 15-20 minute train ride from Dalhousie Station.
6) Crowfoot Crossing has 1 or 2 places to fufanu.
7) Silver Springs has a decent bank at a local church.

There's lots to ride, i know alot of it seems like you might have to crank on your pedals, but trail riding helps with technique, balance, endurance, and physical ability.

By the way, i'm a freerider who has never gone road biking and does not enjoy xc riding. I fully understand your desire to hit jumps, do tricks, and be gnarly, because that is what i enjoy most. Cheers!

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 17:22 Quote
Home food got plowed along time ago. There are a few ghetto jumps now.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 17:26 Quote
ya but stephen, the green space cant be used for digging or some old bitch will come out of her house and call the city. I'm looking for secluded places

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.166887
Mobile Version of Website