PB Forum :: Giant
2023 Giant Reign 29 and Reign SX mullet
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 9, 2023 at 13:46 Quote
muerte wrote:
renio wrote:
Konyp wrote:
Hi Guys,
I currently own the 2020 Reign 29 in XL and am considering upgrading to the current version.
I noticed that the 2023 L has a longer wheelbase than my 2020 XL (1270 vs 1265) and started wondering if I should maybe go a size down. The 2023 XL has 1303 wheelbase and this seems rather long to me.
My riding style is more steep-technical and jumping rather then charging. I'm 190 cm tall.
Any thoughts on sizing would would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I think you should look more at reach and top tube lenght to find a good fit. The wheelbase is longer in the new generation because the head angle is slacker. At your height I think you may feel too cramped on L. I'm 185 and took L (I had 2020 model in L). When you sit on 2023 there is less room as seatpost angle is is steeperi was. I was

Is ist worth switching? Where do you see the benefits?

I haven't ridden it yet. I'm looking forward to riding the slacker head angle though. I felt that the previous generation was too nervous when at full speed. I guess it should climb better too since the seat angle is now steeper. Geo changes through flip chip is welcome addition. Not sure about the storage box. It added some weight to the frame for sure as the down tube is lager in diameter to accomodate the storage box. To me it's unecessary gimmick and trying to keep up with competition like Spec and Trek. The opening is very narrow and I don't see myself really puting there a tube. Those changes are not ground shaking but yeah the previous generation Reign is more in trailbike territory as per current standard. 2023 is keeping up with the geo trends if you are into riding gnarly stuff.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 12:59 Quote
Behold. The Reignbow
The Giant Reignbow

Posted: Nov 14, 2023 at 1:52 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
Behold. The Reignbow
The Giant Reignbow

Nice wordplay and bike Big Grin

How do you like it? How does it ride? What size is it and how tall are you?

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2023 at 9:43 Quote
renio wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
Behold. The Reignbow
The Giant Reignbow

I am 5'9", 190lbs and on a Medium. It fits quite well with a 50mm stem. The 170mm dropper is up probably 8mm from slammed (which it can slam easily)

Now that I have the shock dialed (stock spring was too soft at 425lb), I am really starting to enjoy it more. Midstroke support is good, and it definitely has that supple feel the coil crowd always talks about. I was on an S4 enduro, and it was just a bit too much in tight corners, although it definitely had a lot in reserve for big hits. I feel much better in the tighter corners on this bike and don't feel like I have to pre-plan my turn entrance as much.

This bike seems to just fit me better, and with the coil, I don't feel like I have lost any of the ability to carry speed through small bumps, which is something the enduro excelled at. I am loving it so far. Might try another click of HSC stiffer for hard hits, but other than that I am very happy with it.

Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 23:46 Quote
At 190lbs what spring are you finally running? and what sag?
photo
Here is mine with 500lbs spring. I am at 25%sag seated, 210lbs fully kitted.
Size Large, 180cm height.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2023 at 8:18 Quote
tjteo wrote:
At 190lbs what spring are you finally running? and what sag?
photo
Here is mine with 500lbs spring. I am at 25%sag seated, 210lbs fully kitted.
Size Large, 180cm height.

450lb spring, 28% sag without all my gear on (or something close to that)

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 11:55 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
renio wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
Behold. The Reignbow
The Giant Reignbow

I am 5'9", 190lbs and on a Medium. It fits quite well with a 50mm stem. The 170mm dropper is up probably 8mm from slammed (which it can slam easily)

Now that I have the shock dialed (stock spring was too soft at 425lb), I am really starting to enjoy it more. Midstroke support is good, and it definitely has that supple feel the coil crowd always talks about. I was on an S4 enduro, and it was just a bit too much in tight corners, although it definitely had a lot in reserve for big hits. I feel much better in the tighter corners on this bike and don't feel like I have to pre-plan my turn entrance as much.

This bike seems to just fit me better, and with the coil, I don't feel like I have lost any of the ability to carry speed through small bumps, which is something the enduro excelled at. I am loving it so far. Might try another click of HSC stiffer for hard hits, but other than that I am very happy with it.

I think S4 might have been tad too large for you.
Glad you enjoy the new bike.
I've just built my 23 alloy Reign 2. I basically left the frame, fork (will add Charger RC2) and the chainguide. All other stuff was transplanted from previous Reign 2020. Looking at both bikes the new frame is burly as compared to previous generation. The overall weight will be about the same though. The new Reign is a better platform from every angle (no pun intended) They refined the frame. It's bulier in post mount area, the internal routing covers are now kept by small bolts that screw directly into the frame. Flip chip looks nice and it's cool to have choice although I feel I will use it med position most of the time.
One thing that I'm not sure about is the internal frame storage. The opening is fairly narrow and narrower than the competition. I understand that Giant tried to keep up with the competition, however the end result is not impressive. They altered the downtube and it's now bigger diameter and looks massive compared to prev generation but the storage is like for multitool, flipchips and condoms haha.
I would prefer they just added flipchips, revised the geo and skipped the storage as it only bumped the price and frame's weight for very small advantage.

I'm yet to ride the bike. Waiting for the OneUp dropper to arive. I'm 6.1 or 185cm and chose L. The reach is like 5 mm shorter now and i will likely offset it by 45 mm stem instead of 40mm but will see. I'm at the end of the height band for L but cannot see myself on XL because this would likely feel sluggish. The trails in the area I ride most are rather twisty and tech with not much high speed sections. Would be cool to test XL for comparison though.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 6:25 Quote
The S4 was definitely a little too big, but it wasn't way off. I got it on a really great deal basically it cost because shop ordered it for someone but accidentally ordered the wrong size and they didn't want to send it back. Fit comfortably with a 32mm stem.
I definitely don't miss working on it with that super complex linkage, that's for sure. It was a great bike, but I am really enjoying this new one. Getting the shock dialed and learning to trust it and ride aggressively again has really made it feel good.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013993
Mobile Version of Website