Powered by Outside

Do you keep fingers on your brakes all the time ??

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Do you keep fingers on your brakes all the time ??
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 12:05 Quote
i always have one or two fingers on the brakes, if your front sus is good enough then there isnt really much of a need to hold on tight as the sus will soak up any bumps that will knock your hands off the grips. you have more chance of hitting a tree though.

im sure most people would agree

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 12:08 Quote
Always! Specially over DJ's. A quick dab of the rear can save you from crashing! The split second it takes you to move your finger from the bar to the lever can be too much and result in a crash!

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
bikebreaker wrote:
Always! Specially over DJ's. A quick dab of the rear can save you from crashing! The split second it takes you to move your finger from the bar to the lever can be too much and result in a crash!

exactly, at least were seeing some truth now. I think that anyone who rides with no fingers on brakes is stupid, you never know what can happen.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
yeh, some drivers are so ignorant or pedestrians when your ona road, sometime spoeple dont even look and car backs out right infornt of you.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
It dont matter where i ride, I always cover them. I would have totalled some kid the other day at the local bowls if I wasnt.
Id rather save a crash than be a 'cool dude' and be a trend gimp.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
i find i acidently grab my lever when i land sometime if its a hard landing so i then makes things worse but my reactions are usualy fast enough to get to the leaver in time but i only really ride park and street untill we get some good trails built so there is no need for quick reactions on my brake.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
silentrider wrote:
i only really ride street so there is no need for quick reactions on my brake.

Eek Cars? People? Kids?

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
always cover the brake whatever i'm riding, dont feel safe otherwise.

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 9:16 Quote
bikebreaker wrote:
silentrider wrote:
i only really ride street so there is no need for quick reactions on my brake.

Eek Cars? People? Kids?

dude theres more reason for quick reactions. cars, lamp posts and a punch in the face for accidenlty colliding with a pedestrain hurt more then crashing into a bush in a trail for example.

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 9:37 Quote
iainc92 wrote:
as i said i ride with all fingers on my bars, im gonna a try with my fingers on the brakes, but like ^^ he said it makes me feels a bit out of control.

so is it your pointing finger (if thats whats its called) you have on the brakes ??

I always ride with my Index Finger on the levers cant ride with all my fingers on the bars unless im going up hill

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 9:37 Quote
I always keep my "pointing finger" on the brake lever. The second it takes to reach for the brake lever could be the difference between running someone over, or stopping in time.

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
gotta have the brake finger. when my biokign gloves are off, all of the fingers are curled except for the one closest to the thumb (index?). after riding whistler for 2 days, my hands had morphed themselves to my bars and my brake finger would stick out. i have to have my brake finger, it just feels sketchy without it.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 10:08 Quote
im just back from riding and i still cant ride with a finger on the brakes. i tryed today and it just felt...uncomfortable...and as if i was less on control.

i think it also depends on what type of brake you have, hydraulic for example you only need one finger but some mechanical discs and v-brakes might need more. so if you have more fingers on your brakes you might feel less in contro so might have to have all fingers on the bars....

just a thought...

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
when dirtjumping i rarely have any fingers on the brakes
i find it easier to grab the brake when i need to
Smile

Posted: Apr 10, 2008 at 14:50 Quote
iainc92 wrote:
as i said i ride with all fingers on my bars, im gonna a try with my fingers on the brakes, but like ^^ he said it makes me feels a bit out of control.

so is it your pointing finger (if thats whats its called) you have on the brakes ??

When I'm not DHing I only cover my back brake.
And when DHing I cover them both with my Index finger.
But if i have been DHing all day then I start to get arm pump i sometimes switch to middle finger braking because the muscle that controls my index finger just doesnt work lol.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012824
Mobile Version of Website