Powered by Outside

55r

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:25 Quote
princeofthenorth wrote:
so changing oils changes the complete compression... not the ending compression speed?

Right. A thicker oil will slow the fork down, both on the compression and rebound. The rebound can probably be put back to where it was by opening the adjuster screw on the bottom of the fork.

As DavidMak said, increase the level of the oil in the fork. A little at a time. That will increase the forks resistance to bottoming. There is a limit though. To much oil, and the pressure in the fork can get to high and blow the seals before it bottoms. That's when you have to pump up the air pressure or get a stronger coil and sacrifice the small bump plushness.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:39 Quote
I use Finish Line 10wt in my fork personally. The stuff Marzocchi put in my fork was terrible and looked like a bubble bath.

Just buy the 7.5wt oil of a decent quality, and replace the oil completely with better stuff. Your fork is really linear most likely because of a really low oil level, my fork came so low that the first 1/2" of travel finally showed oil above the valves. But the other leg has too much oil... completely preventing the fork from bottoming...

Once you fix the oil level the fork should be much more progressive.

makripper has no idea what he's talking about. Sad that he claims to work at a bike shop, and doesn't know the difference between Progression and Compression.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:40 Quote
The only person acting like a dick in here is you makripper. You're the one changing shit up and pretending it was someone else that was confused. Chill out. I guarantee my girlfriend could SMOKE yours any day. I hope your boss fires you soon because you suck at this mechanic stuff.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 Quote
thats pretty clear. i understand now, thanks everyone!
um no haha. shit. k so in the left leg, is the dampner i'd imagine cuase tats where rebuond adjust is. in the right leg, air coil.which do i add oil too? or both?

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:42 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
I use Finish Line 10wt in my fork personally. The stuff Marzocchi put in my fork was terrible and looked like a bubble bath.

Marzocchi specs Torco oil. There's no better anti foaming oil made then Torco and Silkolene.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:55 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Marzocchi specs Torco oil. There's no better anti foaming oil made then Torco and Silkolene.

Can you explain the Bubble Bath in my fork then?

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

Can you explain the Bubble Bath in my fork then?

Nope. Maybe someone else serviced your fork after Marz? Torco oil doesn't foam. Period. I've tried and it just doesn't. Marzocchi runs Torco in all their forks.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 8:59 Quote
My fork was brand new from JensonUSA.

Oil level was below the valves on the dampening leg. The other leg is ETA only and has too high of an oil level, I just don't have a Cassette tool without a shaft in it to remove some, plus I don't mind never bottoming out.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
My fork was brand new from JensonUSA.

Oil level was below the valves on the dampening leg. The other leg is ETA only and has too high of an oil level, I just don't have a Cassette tool without a shaft in it to remove some, plus I don't mind never bottoming out.

You can break the little shaft out of the middle of your cassette tool. It's not that hard.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 9:04 Quote
It's pressed in, I've tried a hammer.

I could ask my old shop teacher to use the press, but I'm lazy.

Marzocchi told me I can increase the travel to 160mm on my fork, main reason I want to tear it down and rebuild it, extra 10mm would be cool.

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 9:59 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
The only person acting like a dick in here is you makripper. You're the one changing shit up and pretending it was someone else that was confused. Chill out. I guarantee my girlfriend could SMOKE yours any day. I hope your boss fires you soon because you suck at this mechanic stuff.
does baby want a soother? or maybe baby wants diapey to be changed.

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 14:57 Quote
so.. is there any way to increase a 55r 140mm to a 160mm. my bro bought one and we didnt know at the time that there was 2 travel options..any help or tips is nice :p

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 4:49 Quote
Take apart the spring side and do this. You'll need a cassette removal tool to undo the top cap, a wrench to undo the nut at the bottom of the leg and new oil to replace the stuff that spilled out all over the kitchen floor when you opened the bottom up. And I think that's it...

photo

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 8:39 Quote
sweet i actually called marzocchi and they said this is ok and the proper way to do it, they even said it wont void the warrenty as long as you dont mess with anything else specially the cartridge's

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 11:22 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
It's pressed in, I've tried a hammer

A vice and a pair of vicegrips and 30 seconds of bending it back and forth snapped mine off...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015456
Mobile Version of Website