Powered by Outside

Getting into biking... need help!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Getting into biking... need help!
O+
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
i think when 09 hits the scythe will actually be pulled out and the wild card will be adjusted to have up to 7 inches, so they will have a bike in every category except the short travel street dj category in which the only bike available is the transition double

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
i have an 06 stinky and like it a lot, but i had to change a shit load of parts. go with the lucky seven it looks gnarly, and the spec list is pretty set

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 17:57 Quote
Kutoz wrote:
look at the santa cruz v10's
I dont know about you but i've never heard of a v10 in the $2500 price range and its not a very good bike for climbing either.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 18:40 Quote
katman05 wrote:
Dont get a Scythe, they are just a temporary frame and will be obselete once the Legend comes out. If you had the extra cash id say wait for a Legend

wrong.

The scythe is here to stay, it is a totally different bike from the legend.

Legend = pure DH race bike

Scythe = Hardcore freeride bike

2 bikes for 2 different styls of riding.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 18:41 Quote
nishnash wrote:
i think when 09 hits the scythe will actually be pulled out and the wild card will be adjusted to have up to 7 inches, so they will have a bike in every category except the short travel street dj category in which the only bike available is the transition double

Nah, wildcard will not be going to 7" if anything the travel will be slightly reduced to make it tighter and lighter.

as for short travel DJ bike... have you not seen the rampant?

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
I say get something between the legend and the sythe. Maybe a Giant Glory. Its good for DH and FR.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 5:38 Quote
The Scythe is fine for DH and freeride. It's pretty much the replacement for the overweight Scream (my fave big freeride dually). The Ramparts are mint, the Wildcards are INSANE, and the Legend is the best DH bike in the works right now. Plus with the Amp for dj/street, Banshee is really stepping it up.

I personally would like to see a beefed up version of the Rune for an allaround bike (trails, minor DH, freeride). something in the same class as the SC Nomad. The bike has the geo and travel for it. But the frame (stays especially) would need to be beefed up to handle the abuse

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 13:41 Quote
well since you are going to do some pedaling would go with the lucky7 cause it doesnt have as much travelSmile

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 21:24 Quote
katman05 wrote:
The Scythe is fine for DH and freeride. It's pretty much the replacement for the overweight Scream (my fave big freeride dually). The Ramparts are mint, the Wildcards are INSANE, and the Legend is the best DH bike in the works right now. Plus with the Amp for dj/street, Banshee is really stepping it up.

I personally would like to see a beefed up version of the Rune for an allaround bike (trails, minor DH, freeride). something in the same class as the SC Nomad. The bike has the geo and travel for it. But the frame (stays especially) would need to be beefed up to handle the abuse

The Rune is at least as strong as a nomad, so no need to beef it up! I actually suspect that it is stronger!

I know a guy who weighs about 340lbs who spnt lots of days doing fast laps of garbonzo on his Rune last year with no issues at all. you don't see many nomads vernture up there.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
builttoride wrote:
nishnash wrote:

Nah, wildcard will not be going to 7" if anything the travel will be slightly reduced to make it tighter and lighter.

as for short travel DJ bike... have you not seen the rampant?
yeh sorry forgot the rampant, and also the norco 4x.

Posted: May 20, 2008 at 15:05 Quote
Here's an update... Rode some bikes.

Bought the Lucky7 on the weekend... Pretty pumped. Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Posted: May 20, 2008 at 17:04 Quote
photo
https://ep5.pinkbike.org/photo/2058/pbpic2058230.jpg
photo
https://ep4.pinkbike.org/photo/2058/pbpic2058228.jpg

Posted: May 20, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
you dont really need a bike like that if your just learning.i learned all my moves on a crappy $400 norco, then when i got a nice bike my moves were like 100x nicer looking and easier to do. just saying that you should learn on a not so great bike, so then when it comes to a nice bike all the things you learned are like 100x easier (maybe better than my norco lol) lots of the pros say this too. but whatever floats your boat.

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 22:42 Quote
if your just getting into biking dont rush into anything too soon just stick with a full suspension bike with at least 6 inches of travel on the front fork it will work for your first bike..i mean i started on a hardtail..

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
if you are just starting, make shure u have someone to ride with. it makes it so much more fun.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017558
Mobile Version of Website