Powered by Outside

Your time is short!!!

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Your time is short!!!
Posted: Aug 19, 2008 at 13:55 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:
oh...... well , maybe walmart was a bad example , but up to apoint , what i said is still true... and vegetarians are ina way , a form of hippy , you just dont notice it tillt hey order there lunch..

That's pretty ignorant of you. Weather people drink milk or soy milk is not basis to judge their personality. And by hippy I presume you mean environmentalists. And if it weren't for them you'd be living with air conditions similar to China. So don't be so prejudicial and have some respect for those people who are helping everyone. But that's not the topic. The whole point of my argument is that it is easy to do and is in fact not any more expensive then the alternative. My 2L carton of soy milk is the same price as a 2L carton of 1% milk.

thats not exactly what i was getting at .invironmentalists is good in a way , but im talking more about excessive invironmentalists , the people that dont understand that trees grow back , and such , but this aint going nowhere , i agree lets get back to the main topic. i honestly though soy milk costed more tho...

Posted: Aug 19, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
brandyn16 wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:
oh...... well , maybe walmart was a bad example , but up to apoint , what i said is still true... and vegetarians are ina way , a form of hippy , you just dont notice it tillt hey order there lunch..

That's pretty ignorant of you. Weather people drink milk or soy milk is not basis to judge their personality. And by hippy I presume you mean environmentalists. And if it weren't for them you'd be living with air conditions similar to China. So don't be so prejudicial and have some respect for those people who are helping everyone. But that's not the topic. The whole point of my argument is that it is easy to do and is in fact not any more expensive then the alternative. My 2L carton of soy milk is the same price as a 2L carton of 1% milk.

thats not exactly what i was getting at .invironmentalists is good in a way , but im talking more about excessive invironmentalists , the people that dont understand that trees grow back , and such , but this aint going nowhere , i agree lets get back to the main topic. i honestly though soy milk costed more tho...

A lot of companies are a bit more expensive, maybe by a dollar. But Silk is right on par at my supermarket atleast. Think, they don't have to pay for any energy. They only had to initially pay for the panels and turbines but as the years pass it get's payed off quite quickly.

Posted: Aug 19, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:

A lot of companies are a bit more expensive, maybe by a dollar. But Silk is right on par at my supermarket atleast. Think, they don't have to pay for any energy. They only had to initially pay for the panels and turbines but as the years pass it get's payed off quite quickly.

perhaps thats true for a modrratly large company , but whn you take it down to homes, its way not worth it . yuo could spend 50 thousand getting your house all rigid up for sollar , and it would 30-40 years for it to show anysavings.. similar thing with pick up trucks . unless you have a need for a deisel pickup truck do to extreme towing or such, under regular driving , it would take almost the life of your truck to finaly see the saving of the deisel engine , considerng deisel packages run around $10,000 more then gas, when you include the transmission . were as a trucking company needs that deisle power , and it pays off in the long run . kinda off topic , but its the same principal is my point

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 9:13 Quote
brandyn16 wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:

perhaps thats true for a modrratly large company , but whn you take it down to homes, its way not worth it . yuo could spend 50 thousand getting your house all rigid up for sollar , and it would 30-40 years for it to show anysavings.. similar thing with pick up trucks . unless you have a need for a deisel pickup truck do to extreme towing or such, under regular driving , it would take almost the life of your truck to finaly see the saving of the deisel engine , considerng deisel packages run around $10,000 more then gas, when you include the transmission . were as a trucking company needs that deisle power , and it pays off in the long run . kinda off topic , but its the same principal is my point

Where are you getting your info from? We have a solar kit on our roof that provides energy for the water heater and it was in and around $5k. The only way I could see it coming to $50k for a kit on your house would be if you lived in a mansion and left all your lights on constantly and needed that much power. As well, wind turbines, the roof mounted ones are close to $3k.

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 9:25 Quote
dhangelofdeath wrote:
Yeah in 10 years we are all gonna be crawling around in the gutters which will be full of blood, i'm sure. We will have no way to get anywhere, and the robots will be taking over, amirite? The whole world will be a desert, even Antarctica will be completely dry. All the whales will be ancient memories. The sun will be blocked out by pollution and it will be darkened days. The pandas will finally give up on boning each other and become extinct. A gay black woman will be president. Wal Mart will become the government, and will rule over the land. You better get a lot of riding in before bicycles are outlawed by Wal Mart! I think I'm gonna go crawl under a rock and cry!!!!

sounds like walle

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:

Where are you getting your info from? We have a solar kit on our roof that provides energy for the water heater and it was in and around $5k. The only way I could see it coming to $50k for a kit on your house would be if you lived in a mansion and left all your lights on constantly and needed that much power. As well, wind turbines, the roof mounted ones are close to $3k.
$5000 to power your water heater.... JUST yuor water heater???? maybe not 50k , but probably 30 k to power your intire electricity

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 10:40 Quote
brandyn16 wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:

$5000 to power your water heater.... JUST yuor water heater???? maybe not 50k , but probably 30 k to power your intire electricity

Yeah you could be off grip for $30k for sure. If you think about this, with rising power costs, you will save money in the long run.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
brandyn16 wrote:
blackpantherparty wrote:

Yeah you could be off grip for $30k for sure. If you think about this, with rising power costs, you will save money in the long run.

yes , you would save money , eventualy , if you pay 2k a year on electricity , then it will take 15 YEARS , before you see one penny of savings... that is my point and it would probab;y be more , because you would have to have the pwer company unhook yo from the grid , and have electricians wire your panels into your control box , installation of panels , and , ofcoarse , they look bad on side note

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 10:48 Quote
15 years is not the bad for home owners, sure for someone who hasnt even lived that long it doesnt seem reasonable.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 11:00 Quote
carnell wrote:
15 years is not the bad for home owners, sure for someone who hasnt even lived that long it doesnt seem reasonable.

Haha exactly, 15 years of living in a house is pretty small man. And depending on how much energy you used you would possibly even make money. Surplus energy is put back into the grid and the power companies pay you. And getting it hooked up would cost close to nothing, the whole set up would cost less then a grand. My best friend is at college to become a residential electrician and he says it's a very easy hook up.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 11:11 Quote
brandyn16 wrote:
yes , you would save money , eventualy , if you pay 2k a year on electricity , then it will take 15 YEARS , before you see one penny of savings... that is my point and it would probab;y be more , because you would have to have the pwer company unhook yo from the grid , and have electricians wire your panels into your control box , installation of panels , and , ofcoarse , they look bad on side note

This is the problem right here, there isn't a single plan out there that will show immediate results yet that's what current generations all want to see. Current generations are addicted to immediate gratification. You have to accept the fact that change is a gradual accomplishment, not something you're going to wake up to tomorrow.

Yes it is a long term investment that won't pay off for 15-20 years (those who have done it would probably argue that), at the same time, you can do absolutely nothing and continue to pay electricity bills for the rest of your life. In that light, which one seems like the smarter choice. Personally, I would much rather enter into a plan that will have a finite time frame that won't end with me dieing.

You keep talking about the cost of things without realizing. These "huge" numbers that you're throwing around like $30k are what people are spending on a single new car that will immediately depreciate 30% as soon as they take ownership. Whereas an investment in green energy will be a $30k investment and within 15 years will start making you money. In the meanwhile, that $30k car will be worth jack all in 15 years and will have probably broken down or been sold at a loss a decade ago.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
carnell wrote:
yes, 15 years is a long time , and that is generous , it could be 20 years in soem circumstances , but still , getting solar panels is like signing a 15 year contract , people dont want to be locked into it for 15 years

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 15:56 Quote
I totally disagree 15 years is not a long time by anymeans for home owners.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 16:02 Quote
carnell wrote:
its a long time anyways ya look at it , but true, some people have homes there whole lives . but i dont think peopel wnated to be locked into such uncertenties . amagin for example a new neighbour moves in , and his a complete f*cking dick . but you have $10,000 left to pay , and then youl have to spend another $35,000 to get the same shit on your new house , and have to wait another 16 years before you get to save money, because you hate where you live.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
brandyn16 wrote:
carnell wrote:
its a long time anyways ya look at it , but true, some people have homes there whole lives . but i dont think peopel wnated to be locked into such uncertenties . amagin for example a new neighbour moves in , and his a complete f*cking dick . but you have $10,000 left to pay , and then youl have to spend another $35,000 to get the same shit on your new house , and have to wait another 16 years before you get to save money, because you hate where you live.

Anything that can be installed can be removed. Simply get the stuff removed and installed at your new location, there's no need to start from scratch.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022519
Mobile Version of Website