Powered by Outside

How to paint your fork with pictures

PB Forum :: Tutorials
How to paint your fork with pictures
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 21:58 Quote
smurfmanyaman wrote:
flip the fork upside down so all the oil in the lowers goes into the stanchions

Ummm, the oil doesn't flow from the lowers to the stanchions. I really have no idea what you're talking about at this point

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
paininc wrote:
Why sand with 150-220? Why that particular grit?
http://www.paininc.biz

It's just what I had on hand. It gives an idea of what to use and to use multiple types starting with course to fine. Anything in that area is good.

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 22:06 Quote
So i should do it?

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 23:14 Quote
if you want a different color fork then do it

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 23:43 Quote
i mean like if i take it apart, and paint it. i can put it back together and it'll work?

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 6:26 Quote
Well I would hope so otherwise there wont be much point in painting them. Just take your time and they will be fine, It's not as a big a deal as you may think. When you put them back together just make sure you have a little fork oil to put on the stanchions

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 7:48 Quote
i never had any problems taking apart forks. just clean all the excess oil of the lowers and make sure not to damage ur seals and you should be good

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
paininc wrote:
Why sand with 150-220? Why that particular grit?
http://www.paininc.biz

It's just what I had on hand. It gives an idea of what to use and to use multiple types starting with course to fine. Anything in that area is good.

That is way too course. If it is what you had fine, but not the best grit to use. Someone should finish with 600 to knock down the shine, no more...no less.

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 19:15 Quote
Just sanding to prep for paint is fine to use gritty stuff, the primer smooths it all out. for finish sanding you would need much finer.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 8:23 Quote
great help.. thanks
just one thing what temperature is ideal to spray paint aluminum...?

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 8:25 Quote
Mid to upper 70s is good. Low humidity is preferred as well.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 8:33 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Mid to upper 70s is good. Low humidity is preferred as well.
alright thanks

im going to sand down the old paint later today and go out and buy paint
should i buy tremclad rust paint or krylon rust paint
or try to find some better quality car paints..

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 8:42 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Just sanding to prep for paint is fine to use gritty stuff, the primer smooths it all out. for finish sanding you would need much finer.
Depends on the primer.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 8:46 Quote
In general most primer you find a in a rattle can for this will fill the tiny grooves left from sanding.

I would use a little higher quality automotive paint, but Kryolon FUSION is pretty good as well. Its made to paint plastic but bonds well to everything and is fairly durable and smooth.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 8:47 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
In general most primer you find a in a rattle can for this will fill the tiny grooves left from sanding.

I would use a little higher quality automotive paint, but Kryolon FUSION is pretty good as well. Its made to paint plastic but bonds well to everything and is fairly durable and smooth.
i really need the best quality paints
its for a dh bike
that will scratch against trees and rocks every now and than
i think automotive paints is my best bet...
any specific company?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020265
Mobile Version of Website