The RGC riders and builders thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The RGC riders and builders thread
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
dustingilding wrote:
ridingg wrote:
owedog wrote:

i dont think shes gonna get very far trying to stop bikers. not that im being "rebelious" or anything but how can she expect people to stop coming through word of mouth. and if thats not all shes planning on doing, she cant patrol all of rgc. its huge and biker go all over the place.

yea but some riders acually have respect..you think shes stoked to get sued cause some noob gets hurt? doubtful.. respect the landowner and their decisions and what they say.
and with "respect" to you, you don't know shit about the situation here, no noob has gotten hurt and sued them in the entire like 3-4 years of this place's existence, it has nothing to do with that

Actually it has everything to do with that. Maybe you don't know the entire situation either.

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 at 15:07 Quote
mitch1616 wrote:
dustingilding wrote:
ridingg wrote:

yea but some riders acually have respect..you think shes stoked to get sued cause some noob gets hurt? doubtful.. respect the landowner and their decisions and what they say.
and with "respect" to you, you don't know shit about the situation here, no noob has gotten hurt and sued them in the entire like 3-4 years of this place's existence, it has nothing to do with that

Actually it has everything to do with that. Maybe you don't know the entire situation either.

its not that im suggestting people do that. its just that some people dont care and will ride them anyways. that just how some things go. not everyones gonna listen. anyways i heard they're getting destroyed soon anyways.

and if anything is to be learnt its that people who sue for ridiculous reasons suck. they ruin stuff for everybody and can get away with it.

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 at 16:08 Quote
mitch1616 wrote:
dustingilding wrote:
ridingg wrote:

Okay sorry I guess I don't then. I was under the impression the road construction has begun. enlighten me

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
dustingilding wrote:
enlighten me

First off the land is private and ergo some one can be put as responsible for people riding it. If one gets hurt and it can become a issue. Jumping and hucking tricks isn't with out risk, the owners see this. Sure there could be waivers but in a court, there are easy ways around waivers so they imply nothing. And people could easily sue. The know that the land they sold to become developed was worth a far bit.... The reason Ben's jumps are locked up is because of this. Ben was trying to find several ways in which the jumps could become a DJ park.

One way was the FVMBA to adopt it and have it as their Abby jump park, something that the city of Abby is planning to do. The city shot down the idea since the jumps are not located close enough to a road for emergency access if some one was to get hurt. Even though there is a road that will be running right beside it in under 2 years time (Whatcom Road).

The land owner was/is willing to DONATE the land under the power lines to create the park. They were trying to find an insurance policy to cover the jumps but it was expensive.

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 at 23:34 Quote
mitch1616 wrote:
dustingilding wrote:
enlighten me

First off the land is private and ergo some one can be put as responsible for people riding it. If one gets hurt and it can become a issue. Jumping and hucking tricks isn't with out risk, the owners see this. Sure there could be waivers but in a court, there are easy ways around waivers so they imply nothing. And people could easily sue. The know that the land they sold to become developed was worth a far bit.... The reason Ben's jumps are locked up is because of this. Ben was trying to find several ways in which the jumps could become a DJ park.

One way was the FVMBA to adopt it and have it as their Abby jump park, something that the city of Abby is planning to do. The city shot down the idea since the jumps are not located close enough to a road for emergency access if some one was to get hurt. Even though there is a road that will be running right beside it in under 2 years time (Whatcom Road).

The land owner was/is willing to DONATE the land under the power lines to create the park. They were trying to find an insurance policy to cover the jumps but it was expensive.
Ok ya I was aware of all that, but isn't the reason they're shutting it down NOW because of the road construction? I didn't know they were just at the end of the leash so to speak with all the legal shenanigans.

Posted: Apr 11, 2009 at 11:03 Quote
Looks like the message is already out, but I wanted to ensure the forum is up to date.

On behalf of the owners of the land aka Road Gap City (RGC) we can no longer allow/turn a blind eye to bikers on our property.

With the increasing popularity of RGC the number of users has exploded in the past few years, bringing increasing numbers of jumps and bikers. What used to be neighbours and friends we knew by name is now 50-60 people from all over the lower mainland every weekend. This brings increased traffic on the ranch, with associated problems, but more importantly increased liability. Our family had tried to work with the city in covering us for the bikers, but this isn't possible until the McCallum road extension is put in (beneath the power lines) and the site can be patrolled and have ambulance access. We cannot accept liability for bikers on our property, and so must ask that you move elsewhere. Signs are posted at all major entrances and at the jump sets. We are working our way to removing all jumps - scary how inaccessible some are.

With very few exceptions, we've found that bikers are courteous and respectful - a great group of people spanning all ages. We rarely find garbage or alcohol near the jumps. This isn't personal. We know that you also love this land, and our family plans to continue working with the city to donate the use of land for biking use once the McCallum road extension is in and they will cover liability. Please respect this and help keep our impression and association with the bikers positive.

Thanks

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017321
Mobile Version of Website