Powered by Outside

Advantages Of Rigids

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Advantages Of Rigids
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
ricar wrote:
I would not agree with the stronger comment. I have seen more bent ridgid forks than QUALITY sus forks. The problem is, they are ridgid and when they hit there is no energy absorbed and the force goes into the fork, which will give. Also thy are sus corrected, which means they are just as long as a sus fork.

As far as better or worse, depends on what you want. If you are into the hard core ride every day and want to be in all the magazines and have all the cool sponsors then go ridgid. Hell go BMX. If you ride for fun and like the feel of a sus fork ride it.

I dont agree. I've saw more snaped susp forks than rigids..They are lighter,stiffer and more predictable than sus...Someone mention the RNS and the Fundamental fork. The RNS is a good fork but like the Rebate, it's not suitable for every frame due to the short a2c height

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 6:44 Quote
wisey wrote:
Just a simple question. I saw some rigids once that were in the shape of sus forks, if you like, they hard a squared off top. Does anyone know what they might be? They may have been stock on a (now) old DMR, I can't really remember, as this was before I was into bikes...

More than likely, they were the Planet X Rigid fork. Look it up.

I'm very pro-rigid. They are strong, light, and efficient for street.

Some people will hop on a bike like that and wont be able to hop it at all...because they are too used to preloading a fork, then springing out of it. It takes some time to get used to, and you'll probably hate it for a few days, but it's definatly worth the switch

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 6:53 Quote
chainsmoked wrote:
More than likely, they were the Planet X Rigid fork. Look it up.

Humm, they were kinda like that, only they didn't come forward at the top. Imagen your average BMX fork only with a squared of top. So the drop-outs came forward, rather than the forks themselves.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
Andrei13Street wrote:
The bike i was gonna get just got sold... I biked to the shop to buy it, and right when i got there i saw a guy riding away with it Madder Madder . I'm still temped to buy some rigids to try them out, cause my bike's been rigid lately, and i like it that way... Anyone got any sugestions what what rigid i should get?
go for DMR trailblade II the are SO nice

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 7:35 Quote
wisey wrote:
Just a simple question. I saw some rigids once that were in the shape of sus forks, if you like, they hard a squared off top. Does anyone know what they might be? They may have been stock on a (now) old DMR, I can't really remember, as this was before I was into bikes...

Planet-X Knifen (and there was a alu trialversion of that fork, don't remember what company)
Commencal MaxMax fork (only available in complete bikes, weighs 2.1kg!!!)
24 Bicycles Sankukai (won't buy that one, i broke mine in 6 weeks)

anyways, i don't recommend those, just go for a Identiti Rebate, Dobermann Tchokr, or a BlkMrkt Contraband

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
Superbiker729 wrote:
Andrei13Street wrote:
The bike i was gonna get just got sold... I biked to the shop to buy it, and right when i got there i saw a guy riding away with it Madder Madder . I'm still temped to buy some rigids to try them out, cause my bike's been rigid lately, and i like it that way... Anyone got any sugestions what what rigid i should get?

don't do that, DMR rigids aren't really strong, the I bends quickly, the II breaks without any signs

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 9:41 Quote
spongebomb wrote:
wisey wrote:

Planet-X Knifen (and there was a alu trialversion of that fork, don't remember what company)
Commencal MaxMax fork (only available in complete bikes, weighs 2.1kg!!!)
24 Bicycles Sankukai (won't buy that one, i broke mine in 6 weeks)

anyways, i don't recommend those, just go for a Identiti Rebate, Dobermann Tchokr, or a BlkMrkt Contraband

This guy knows what hes talking about. Most rigid forks out are bendy bits of wank. However ID rebates are probably the strongest mtb fork on the market and are very good. The dmrs bend easily (personal experiance) and the blkmrkts and dobs are probably very nice.
Ive snapped many sus forks and seen many people bend and ruin theirs. Overall i would say a rigid is stronger, even if they do break its less dangerous as they bend and theyre alot cheaper to replace.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
spongebomb wrote:
Superbiker729 wrote:
Andrei13Street wrote:

don't do that, DMR rigids aren't really strong, the I bends quickly, the II breaks without any signs
are you serious?!? i have on and a loty of my freind have them and we ride them hard and weve never had any problems

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
Kona Shonky 08 rigids are pretty sick.
Big bmx forks Smile

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 11:50 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
dirtjumpfreak wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:

yeah its pretty pointless but means youve got a hub you can run on a sus fork too. id rebates come with a 14mm axle and a sleeve to fit 20mm which is a pretty good idea
its a sleeve to fit 10mm axel im pretty sure cause how can it fit somthin bigger?
and for the guy whos was wondering on buying forks dobermann tchokr is a sick fork

not sure what you mean. 14mm is smaller than 20mm. the axle seems to just be a 14mm with a sleeve to make it 20mm
oh sorry i thought u meant that the fork had 14mm drop outs and that theres is a sleve to make it fit a 20 lol

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
dirtjumpfreak wrote:
oh sorry i thought u meant that the fork had 14mm drop outs and that theres is a sleve to make it fit a 20 lol

There is.

Identiti has 3 fork models. The 14/20 has 14mm dropouts and a sleeve to use a 20mm thru axle. The Jump model has 10mm dropouts and the Park model has 14mm dropouts and reducers to use on a 10 (3/8") hub.

I just ordered a Jump model for my Molly. Currently running a Gold Label.

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
If your scared making the switch to rigids i here Atomlab are bringing out a fork, it has a rigid look but at the bottom there is 20mm of travel (I think).

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:42 Quote
its been out ages ennit?

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:44 Quote
jayystuart wrote:
its been out ages ennit?

Yeah sorry, twas my mistake.

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
GeorgeBeardon wrote:
If your scared making the switch to rigids i here Atomlab are bringing out a fork, it has a rigid look but at the bottom there is 20mm of travel (I think).

Yep it has been out. And it sucks. Basically a 6 lb rigid.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.329188
Mobile Version of Website