Powered by Outside

BIG problem with my Juicy 5s

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
BIG problem with my Juicy 5s
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 17:39 Quote
it's hard to tell, is this shop usually good? because there is no doubt, you should not have to push the lever that far to stop...

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
Well I haven't really gone to this place much because I used to go to another bike shop until I realized they suck. And my friend works there and I figured he'd do a good job. So I'm going to talk to him about it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
SpecialNick wrote:
Well I haven't really gone to this place much because I used to go to another bike shop until I realized they suck. And my friend works there and I figured he'd do a good job. So I'm going to talk to him about it.

take the pads out and heat them up with a tortch also heat up the rotor...no for too long mebee 4-5 min and then sand paper the pads and rotor...then they should be really good after one ride or so

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
I think they just need to wear in a bit more because already it's working a bit better

Posted: Jul 28, 2008 at 12:24 Quote
Had similar problem with my Hayes HFX9 a year ago, but bare with me. I also "burned" my pad, had them cleaned and than a new pair just to realize that my hose had a "crack" near the lever. Try to remove plastic that protect hose entering the lever and if you find a white crack that's you problem.

Believe it or not but that can be the reason. The hose expands every time you pull the lever and there isn't enough pressure in the caliper to provide strong braking force.

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 22:14 Quote
well if one of the issues is your lever going in too far, there should be a screw inside the lever like if you look on the side closest to your grips, at the sonnection, somewhere in the is just a little screw, you can make adjustments of how far your lever goes with that, Cook

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 22:16 Quote
sonnection= connection

FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 22:36 Quote
Ya i just picked up a set of 5's too. Pretty weak at first. Few days at calabogie (DH) will get them nice and worked in though.
Good Luck!

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 22:42 Quote
just go n ride the i got a set of 7s 2 days ago they sucked outta the box and today one day of 8 hours of riddin they a better then before and i didn't even get them broken in all the way yettup tup Big Grin Big Grin tup Geek Pirate Native Cook Construction Pimp Ninja Emo Jail Jailbreak Salute Salute Salute

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 22:52 Quote
SpecialNick wrote:
Well also the lever has to go in over half way to get any power so I think it needs a good bleeding anyway.

If there is that much play before they start to work then there is probably air in the brake line. try to bleed the arit out only, i had the same problem with my Hayes when they had air in the line.

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 23:03 Quote
Did you get a crap load of spray on lub, on the rotor, therefore making the paded messed up? Try sand papering the pads.

FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 23:06 Quote
My manual for my Avid Code 5's said it could take 30-40 complete stops from high speeds to break them in but make sure there are no oils or fluids of any sort besides water on your rotor because they could be contaminating all your new pads and you will never get any power.

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 23:52 Quote
your bike store is probbly really CHATE and contaminated ur front disc or something. the back brake i donno how that happens, maybe the pads are too close. u should just find a good bike store and get them checked out Smile Blank Stare Big Grin Confused Cool Cry Eek Evil Frown lol Mad Razz Redface Rolleyes Wink Madder Really Mad tup Very confused Thumbs Down
Attention Beer Fab Cop Fireman Nurse Army Construction Cook Native
Pirate Geek Pimp Ninja Emo Jail Jailbreak Salute Helmet Batman Robin
Joker Two-Face Camera Book Whip Moon 2 cents

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 9:40 Quote
Thanks for you're input, everyone. They're all broken in now working fine and I really like them.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 11:45 Quote
Nick... I believe that I started this thread

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015731
Mobile Version of Website