Maine riding!

PB Forum :: USA - East
Maine riding!
Posted: Jul 30, 2012 at 15:48 Quote
Downhill 4-wheeler trails are nice to find and no one mentioned Attitash bike park in NH. 27 downhill trails with lift access. Basically if you live in southern Maine you're a stones throw from Sunday River and the NH bike parks. That's three decent lift access downhill parks you're right in the middle of.

Posted: Jul 30, 2012 at 16:10 Quote
shonsmith wrote:
Downhill 4-wheeler trails are nice to find and no one mentioned Attitash bike park in NH. 27 downhill trails with lift access. Basically if you live in southern Maine you're a stones throw from Sunday River and the NH bike parks. That's three decent lift access downhill parks you're right in the middle of. The shitty thing though is that the bike shops in Maine do not have a clue about DH or anything other than road bikes. Sunday River does have a shop but it's only open during the season and you need a day pass at the least to get in (I think).
I'm not too far from Highland, which is an amazing park. Where are those 4-wheeler trails? Those might be worth checking out. And I totally agree with you about the shops. It's all beginner to intermediate cross country and road bikes Madder There's a Trek store in Portsmouth (15 minutes south of the Maine border) that has some downhill stuff. Someone should open a DH/FR shop though

FL
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 Quote
mtnbkrforlife wrote:
shonsmith wrote:
Downhill 4-wheeler trails are nice to find and no one mentioned Attitash bike park in NH. 27 downhill trails with lift access. Basically if you live in southern Maine you're a stones throw from Sunday River and the NH bike parks. That's three decent lift access downhill parks you're right in the middle of. The shitty thing though is that the bike shops in Maine do not have a clue about DH or anything other than road bikes. Sunday River does have a shop but it's only open during the season and you need a day pass at the least to get in (I think).
I'm not too far from Highland, which is an amazing park. Where are those 4-wheeler trails? Those might be worth checking out. And I totally agree with you about the shops. It's all beginner to intermediate cross country and road bikes Madder There's a Trek store in Portsmouth (15 minutes south of the Maine border) that has some downhill stuff. Someone should open a DH/FR shop though

allspeed in portland

Posted: Aug 30, 2012 at 7:54 Quote
The wheeler and rock face trails are on Singepole and surrounding mountains.

Posted: Feb 13, 2013 at 15:02 Quote
Hey guys, what is there for downhill racing around here? I know there's one at Sunday River and a winter race at Shawnee and Lost Valley. Anything else?

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 6:54 Quote
If you like to ride in maine, head just 5 minutes north of bangor up to Orono. Great XC trails all over, and some pretty technical riding as well at Newman Hill. Rose Bike in town will get you set up will the details, and head out. They also have some sweet group rides a few nights a week from the shop. In the area? Check their facebook page, they're probably heading out.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 at 5:25 Quote
from portland, bradbury mtn in pownal is probably your best bet, trails there are nice, not DH though
http://bradburymountain.com/

blackstrap park in falmouth is closer to you and really good riding, the local NEMBA chapter takes care of it.
http://www.town.falmouth.me.us/pages/falmouthme_parks/trailmaps/BlackstrapHillCommunityForest

the nemba chapter / all speed also have group rides leaving from allspeed couple nights a week. Being in portland im sure you would see the local riding spots on these rides
http://greaterportlandnemba.com/grouprides/

libby hill trails in gray is decent cross country, nothing to challenging but its a different place to ride and not far
http://libbyhill.org/trails/trail-maps/

there are a few places to ride DH in the area, but i'm not going to post up where there at on the interwebs since that's how trials dissapear and i don't know if they are supposed to be there.

for legal places to DH from portland there is of highland, sunday river, attitash and bretton woods. Highland is probably 2.5 hrs from portland and the other three are probably about 2, Highland is best IMO, but its worth trying others out. Camden snowbowl is probably 2hrs away as well, they don't open all summer, but they run their lifts on select weekends. Awesome views up there.

I wish there was more places to ride, or more people i knew that were interested. I have a hard time filling my truck with bikes and people most times i trek to highland.

Posted: Apr 2, 2013 at 6:03 Quote
and i guess some of the DH/free ride stuff is already online.
http://www.bustedspoke.com/trail.php?tk=1307

its a pretty good place. Some of the stuff is over my head, but i never claimed to be good at riding Razz

not so much there on a location description, if you wanna check it out and need help finding it shoot me a message

Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 7:37 Quote
Hey! I am moving back to Maine this month, I haven't lived there in about 13 years. Three things, anyone want to go riding? How do you feel about an Enduro/DH race in Maine? And lastly, how do you feel about a DH/Enduro bike/moto shop in Maine???

Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 15:55 Quote
Welcome to Maine! What part are you moving to? There's a nice mountain bike scene here if you know where to look. I'm sure there will be people up for riding wherever you go. Enduro and downhill isn't huge here but it is here. I worked at a shop in south east part of the state and only saw a handful of enduro bikes walk into the shop and only one true downhill bike. There are races here, I know Sunday River (nice gravity park, check it out!) has both enduro and downhill races through the Eastern States Cup. There's probably a few more I can't think of at the moment. There used to be a few winter races at some ski resorts (watched one at Shawnee) but I'm not sure if they still do them. Most of the shops in Maine won't have downhill bikes on the floor since the market is small. The good shops usually have an enduro bike or two though. Maine does have some good riding but you won't need a big bike for most of it. Even an enduro bike is kinda hefty on a lot of the trails I've ridden in southern maine but it can also be pretty fun. New Hampshire has a lot of good riding as well. I wouldn't know much about moto shops but I'd like to find out as well. I recently got my motorcycle license and I'm itching to get a bike. Hope this helps a little!

Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 17:48 Quote
Thanks!!!! I am moving to the Portland/Scarborough area. Well I will have to get cracking on finding the trails, any guides/maps that you know about? Or just screw it and go on an andventure and see what I find???

Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 18:57 Quote
Nice! There's a good amount of trail around there. Just gotta know where to look. There's a nice bike shop in downtown Portland called Gorham Bike and Ski that would know the trails best but I know there's a lot of nice trail in Cape Elizabeth (right outside of Portland), there's the Eastern Trail in Scarborough which is a flat walking/biking path that's fun if you want to get some good mileage in, there's Blackstrap in Falmouth (awesome trails, take the enduro bike out there), Bradbury State Park (again, more awesome trails and lots of it. Mostly XC but I still pedaled my Giant Glory around out there for the hell of it and had fun. Painful doing 7 miles of XC with it but still fun), then if you wanted to head south (about 20 minutes) there's Clifford Park in Biddeford and Smith Preserve trails in Kennebunk. Both are well known by all the locals for having good trail. Clifford is a little run down/sketchy (hobos, broken glass, a tent or two, etc.) but it's a fun little area. Lots of different terrain and new trails are built every few months. If you head even more south there's Mount Agamenticus. You could literally spend a day there riding the mountain side and the other side. Mostly ATV trail but its good stuff. For bike parks Sunday River is super fun. Lots of natural downhill and some good manmade jumps and stuff. Haven't ridden a lot fo the park but I raced there last season and from what I saw it's got a lot. Then Highland Mountain Bike Park in Northfield NH is a MUST. Seriously, it's probably a 2.5 hour drive or so but it's rated the best park on the east coast. Also known as Americas bike park. It's heaven on earth. Amazing trails, good vibes, fun times. That's all I can think of at the moment. Just to name a few. Here's a better list: http://www.singletracks.com/Maine-bike-trails_21.html

Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 17:38 Quote
Hey guys, quick question, who is building/maintaining the Blackstrap trail system??? would like to clean some stuff up but I don't want to piss people off.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 15:24 Quote
not a clue. might ask the portland area nemba guys on the Portland NEMBA facebook page, I know they do a lot of work in the area, but no idea if they deal with Blackstrap.

https://www.facebook.com/gpnemba

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 18:30 Quote
Hey everyone, bringing back the forum! I'm going to be a freshman at UMO this fall and am wondering what the riding is like around there. I know a few of you have mentioned some local spots but is there anything from the Orono/Bangor area and north of it? Anything good around the Baxter State Park or the Appalachian mountains up there? Looks amazing for hiking but I know once I start hiking the good trails I'll want to take my bike. If any locals want to show me around this summer I'm sure I'll make a few trips up there!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020023
Mobile Version of Website