Powered by Outside

30.0 to 31.6 seatpost shim

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
30.0 to 31.6 seatpost shim
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
pipes10 wrote:
out of all the crap comments/posts that are said on this site which go untouched by mods u decide to touch on this one

I touch on all the "crap" comments that I see. Unfortunately I am one person and I can only spend so much time on the internet daily. Now that's out of the way, all I'm saying is that its far more beneficial to the overall when people take the time to educate others. Personally I see nothing wrong with a pop can shim.

So if you could shed some light on why that is incorrect, its far more appreciated than comments inferring that people must be retarded for not seeing your reasoning.

Either way, back on topic.

check your pm as i thought it was more approptiate

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:36 Quote
TheAngryTomato wrote:
somebody's angry...

nope...not me...as i mentioned i don;t get mad at the net....

just to note...no company/manufacturer will accpet a warranty claim for a macgyvered setup...absolutely none

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
ok but who on earth is going to file a warranty claim for a seatpost?

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
TheAngryTomato wrote:
ok but who on earth is going to file a warranty claim for a seatpost?
thats what i was saying!!
i think he might be talking about the frame's warranty. even though there's really no way (i can think of) that a chate shim could mess up the frame other than scratches Razz

unless it created more pressure on the seat tube and cracked the frame.... but seriously that seems VERY doubtful

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
i just emailed several manufacturers including: Kona, Specialized, Norco, Trek & Commencal ( some other ones too). The only manufacturer out of the lot that said that it would void warranty was Santa Cruz and only on the v-10 because the seat post must be inserted 4+ inches into the seat tube other wise it may crack, because the pop can isn't 4+ inches long your warranty id void..

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
i just emailed several manufacturers including: Kona, Specialized, Norco, Trek & Commencal ( some other ones too). The only manufacturer out of the lot that said that it would void warranty was Santa Cruz and only on the v-10 because the seat post must be inserted 4+ inches into the seat tube other wise it may crack, because the pop can isn't 4+ inches long your warranty id void..

Thank you for resolving the issue

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 22:03 Quote
HA!!

sorry, couldnt help myself Razz

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 22:06 Quote
If you really want one, I can make you one. I'm going to be on vacation for a while though, but when I get back I'd be happy to turn one up for a few bucks.

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 3:19 Quote
121691phoenix wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

ha ha resolved what,ajax ripper i suggest you email again as all mfg have guidelines on to which how much insertion you can have,i have to have a minimum of 4 inchs on my demo otherwise the warranty is void,i would also put money on the fact that pipes10 is correct and shoving a piece of can in there will void the warranty as most mfg dont like using shims as it stresses the seattube,and know one was on about the seatpost warranty pipes was on about the frame warranty.

and phoenix dont be a tight arse buy the proper seattube shim.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 7:10 Quote
marquis wrote:
121691phoenix wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

ha ha resolved what,ajax ripper i suggest you email again as all mfg have guidelines on to which how much insertion you can have,i have to have a minimum of 4 inchs on my demo otherwise the warranty is void,i would also put money on the fact that pipes10 is correct and shoving a piece of can in there will void the warranty as most mfg dont like using shims as it stresses the seattube,and know one was on about the seatpost warranty pipes was on about the frame warranty.

they dont make a 31.6 to 30.0 shim, so it has to be custom made if you are going to do it properly. (or you could just go back to a regular seatpost/saddle combinations and spend like $35 bucks...)

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
marquis wrote:
121691phoenix wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Yeah they dont make a shim in the size i am looking for... thats why i created this thread.

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 11:24 Quote
i cant understand why you haven't just used a pop can and some brains. with one pop can you can easily make a 7 inch shim.

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 11:30 Quote
well im prolly just gonna get the correct size seatpost, and i pretty much made this thread just to see if there were any other creative ideas

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
good idea. 20 bucks isnt that big of a deal and it will be quite a bit easier to deal with and not such a mess.
the easiest and best way to fix something with bikes is usually to buy a new one in a small case like this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026635
Mobile Version of Website