Powered by Outside

how do you take off a rear wheel that is single speed??

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
how do you take off a rear wheel that is single speed??
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
Actually it can be hard even WITH horizontal drops. The only way I can get the rear wheel off my bike is to take the crank off. I have a 1/2link and the thing is slammed. Loosening the rear wheel does not give me enough slack to get the chain off. Yes I could break the chain but then I'd have to do that EVERY TIME??? Not a chance I'd be trusting a chain broken more than 5 times or so. I have snapped too many.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 15:43 Quote
With horizontal dropouts, push the wheel back into the dropouts as far as they will go. Then take the chain off the cog and remove your wheel. If you have vertical dropouts or the chain is too tight then you can break the chain (try not to break it the full way if you don't have a master link, leaving enough of the pin in to push it back through) or you can take the sprocket/ whole crank off and then remove the chain.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
ricar wrote:
Actually it can be hard even WITH horizontal drops. The only way I can get the rear wheel off my bike is to take the crank off. I have a 1/2link and the thing is slammed. Loosening the rear wheel does not give me enough slack to get the chain off. Yes I could break the chain but then I'd have to do that EVERY TIME??? Not a chance I'd be trusting a chain broken more than 5 times or so. I have snapped too many.
just a thought here, and i dont know if it would work or if you'd want to do if it does, but...

what if you took out 2 links of your half link chain, and replaced them with a regular full link and a maskterlink? once again, not sure if it would work well, but its a thought. maybe someone here can say if it would be a good idea or not.

Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
I have not run a masterlink since I was 14. They are a weak point IMO. Also the rear end is long (well it's pretty short for a MTB or whatever we call theese unMTBs today)So adding length to the chain will also add length to the wheel base. Adding links would work, it's just not what I want.

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
lol at this whole thread.

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 11:16 Quote
monkeymanbmx wrote:
lol at you for going out of your way to revive a dead thread, well done.

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
erik74 wrote:
monkeymanbmx wrote:
lol at you for going out of your way to revive a dead thread, well done.

i thought it was quite funny Razz

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015599
Mobile Version of Website