Powered by Outside

How to lighten a Glory DH

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to lighten a Glory DH
Mod
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 22:51 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
Drill holes in the Bash!

Hey! That was a joke. The LG1 broke and a quick fix was needed and spare parts yielded an extra SRS.

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 22:53 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
Drill holes in the Bash!

Hey! That was a joke. The LG1 broke and a quick fix was needed and spare parts yielded an extra SRS.
:P

Mod
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 23:01 Quote
In reality, unless you are willing to throw out the big bucks, you are only going to lose grams. If you want to drop pounds, you have to spend a significant amount of money. There is no way to get around that. You can try fixes like drilling a bash, cutting your seatpost, and switching to xc tubes if you aren’t interested in running ghetto tubeless but you probably won’t manage to shed the amount of weight you want. Your cockpit and drivetrain are rather heavy. I would start looking there as you can shed a lot of weight if you get rid of all that Diabolus stuff. Also, you can use a lighter cassette, chain, cranks, pedals, and chainguide too. However all of this costs a lot of money. Switching your pedals to MG1 and using an EA70 bar is a start but it won’t be that noticeable. Probably a couple hundred grams if that at best.

FL
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 at 23:04 Quote
Well switching to MG-1's and EA-70 bars saves 330g which is 3/4 of a pound alone. Not to mention running ghetto tubeless will easily save 1.25 pounds. because there are fatty dh tubes inside it right now that need to go. So saving 2 pounds is quite a bit plus I will notice the differences in running tubless. What I am trying to get advice for is to find out how much weight I could possibly lose with ony $200. I calculated that I could lose over 2.1 pounds with only $175.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 1:39 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
In reality, unless you are willing to throw out the big bucks, you are only going to lose grams. If you want to drop pounds, you have to spend a significant amount of money. There is no way to get around that. You can try fixes like drilling a bash, cutting your seatpost, and switching to xc tubes if you aren’t interested in running ghetto tubeless but you probably won’t manage to shed the amount of weight you want. Your cockpit and drivetrain are rather heavy. I would start looking there as you can shed a lot of weight if you get rid of all that Diabolus stuff. Also, you can use a lighter cassette, chain, cranks, pedals, and chainguide too. However all of this costs a lot of money. Switching your pedals to MG1 and using an EA70 bar is a start but it won’t be that noticeable. Probably a couple hundred grams if that at best.

yeh i agree,besides look at a glory dh0 and they have some of the lightest gear a dh bike can have,and they still weigh just on 20kgs, hate to say it but most of the weight is in ur wheelset and frame, no wonder why they are so cost effective i guess.

Mod
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 7:38 Quote
You are probably using the claimed weights rather than the real weights of those products. The EA70 weighs 235 grams and MG1 weigh 377 grams. Truvativ pedals weigh 578 and Diabolus bars are 361 (31.8 Diabolus). Therefore, you actually save 327 grams as opposed to 330.

As far as ghetto tubeless is concerned, I am not sure if you understand what is involved. Instead of a DH tube inside your tire, you will now have liquid latex (mold builder), PVC (electricians) tape, and a 20 inch Schrader bicycle tube. I think the claim of losing 1.25 pounds is too optimistic. You are probably better off just using a lightweight tube (regular axiom presta 2.125). However, if you insist on going ghetto tubeless, here are some instructions.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 8:51 Quote
If you only have 150 to spend then go for the important areas first, the tyres, folding tyres, mine come it at 1kg for a pair and yes I do hve a puncture in the rear but its a slow one and takes a week to go down otherwise over my last setup it saved me a stonking 2kg I had 2.7's and dh tubes.

I'd save youtr money up, just cut your post and bars down.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
Just ride the bike as is. Save your money for repairs. Dropping a half pound, or a pound isn't going to make a noticable difference at all. Bank your money for when you crash and break a lever, or bend your seat - things like are more important than dropping a few hundred grams.

Last years Canadian National Champ ran a Glory in the 43-44 pound range, and won convincingly, which goes to show you that weight isn't the end of the world. Keep in mind that the rider makes the bike, and the bike doesn't make the rider.

Don't bother with ghetto tubeless, especially if you don't have an idea what you're doing. If you feel your tires arn't helping you, then pick up a set when yours go bald... The Stock Glory spec is rad and should get you down the trail for many rides. Other than changing personal preference parts, just ride it!

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 14:08 Quote
mitcht wrote:
Just ride the bike as is. Save your money for repairs. Dropping a half pound, or a pound isn't going to make a noticable difference at all. Bank your money for when you crash and break a lever, or bend your seat - things like are more important than dropping a few hundred grams.

Last years Canadian National Champ ran a Glory in the 43-44 pound range, and won convincingly, which goes to show you that weight isn't the end of the world. Keep in mind that the rider makes the bike, and the bike doesn't make the rider.

Don't bother with ghetto tubeless, especially if you don't have an idea what you're doing. If you feel your tires arn't helping you, then pick up a set when yours go bald... The Stock Glory spec is rad and should get you down the trail for many rides. Other than changing personal preference parts, just ride it!
QFT, losing grams isn't cheap and you need to drop a lot to notice.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
meh ride on afterall your going downhill on it

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 14:40 Quote
When weenieing weight, I always to use this method. Say you want to save half a pound with a Ti spring, or about 230g. Divide the weight you will save by how much said item costs. Let's say the Ti coil is selling for $200. This weight saving costs you $1.15 per gram. Say your DH tubes weigh 660g each, or 1/3 of a lb. By changing to lighter, XC tubes, you could save 250g on each wheel. A total saving of 500g may only cost $40, or $0.12 per gram. So don't spend $1200 on wheels, so you can save 700g. You take small amounts off various parts and save as much weight for half the cost

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
mitcht wrote:

Says you... Rolleyes Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! lol

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 15:41 Quote
Hahaha I thought the same thing, but I had more than $200 and was willing to replace everything on the bike.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
mr-wilson wrote:
mitcht wrote:

The difference is that I have more than $150 to spend on bike upgrades. Also my choices are preference parts over taking weight off for the hell of it.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:36 Quote
mitcht wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
mr-wilson wrote:

The difference is that I have more than $150 to spend on bike upgrades. Also my choices are preference parts over taking weight off for the hell of it.
I'm talking to Wilson, his bike is like 35 lbs

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017725
Mobile Version of Website