Metal project

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Metal project
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
I really don't recommend making a frame, bars or anything else load bearing. My first welds were absolute garbage, as with almost everybody's.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 15:39 Quote
I had a lot of fun making my bike stand. Not only was there a bunch of welding to be done and cutting. But also working on a stable design so it would not tip over with the weight of a bike on it. You also have to be creative on how you plan on attaching the bike to the stand. I came up with an idea where the bike is attached to the stand by the top tube. I have had not problems with it yet. I will try to post some pictures later today or tomorrow of it.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
your in metal nine, which means it is your first year of metal.

Don't bother attempting to make anything better then a end caps for your bars.

I guarantee your shop doesn't have a cnc and it's even less likely that your able to program it.

plus you'll be to busy with the curriculum anyway, hacksawing key chains and candle holders...

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 19:09 Quote
roberto125919 wrote:
your in metal nine, which means it is your first year of metal.

Don't bother attempting to make anything better then a end caps for your bars.

I guarantee your shop doesn't have a cnc and it's even less likely that your able to program it.

plus you'll be to busy with the curriculum anyway, hacksawing key chains and candle holders...

Way to be a dick. You're welcome to leave now.

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 0:22 Quote
It's called being honest. If you've ever taken metal nine, it's not just free time to work on whatever you want. If your lucky you can do what you'd like in metal 11 but in 9 you get to choose which pattern you would like to etch. No one should be encouraging him to make bars, cranks etc. whatever, so he can bolt them on his bike and end up injured.

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 0:43 Quote
styley water bottle cage! nobody will get hurt on that
i like the valve stem cap idea

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 2:11 Quote
I had the same question when I did engineering at college, I wanted to make something bike related, but it would be un-feasible to make a whole bike frame as there are over 25 parts on average (including cable guides e.t.c.), not to mention making the welding and machining jigs that would be required.

Try making/modifying a hydraulic rear derailleur and shifter or making some pedals - those were my concept ideas anyway, make something where you can buy in parts to make up an extent of the finished item (i.e. bearings, seals, braided hose e.t.c.).

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 3:40 Quote
roberto125919 wrote:
It's called being honest. If you've ever taken metal nine, it's not just free time to work on whatever you want. If your lucky you can do what you'd like in metal 11 but in 9 you get to choose which pattern you would like to etch. No one should be encouraging him to make bars, cranks etc. whatever, so he can bolt them on his bike and end up injured.

When i was in grade 9 some guys in my grade made a gokart.

a bike stand would be the way to go and once you get some welding experience under your belt g for a bike. Thats what i'm doing now

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 8:48 Quote
kempie wrote:
roberto125919 wrote:

a bike stand would be the way to go and once you get some welding experience under your belt g for a bike. Thats what i'm doing now

A functional go kart?
teacher ends up doing the majority of the work in this case.

I agree with the bike stand idea though, quite useful

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
i wouldnt recomend trying to weld a bike frame unless youve actually gone to school or spent a lot of time using a welder casue unless you want to weld a steel frame. any other combination of material risks integraty of the frame and will make the frame useless to ride cause itll either be flexy as a gymnast, break easily, or youll warp areas from heat transfer. making it harder if not impossible to get parts on the frame.

Posted: Sep 27, 2008 at 2:37 Quote
roberto125919 wrote:
kempie wrote:
roberto125919 wrote:

A functional go kart?
teacher ends up doing the majority of the work in this case.

I agree with the bike stand idea though, quite useful

nah the guys did most of the work the teacher did the engine but all the fabrication was done by them

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 20:44 Quote
aconquergood wrote:
Hey guys im in metal 9 this year and wondering anyone got any good ideas biking related? im flat out of ideas

i can pretty much do anything

How about a bad assed bike stand or truing stand. It seems simple although there are lots of crappy ones out there. The clamp is always the challenge but you could machine a screw drive clamp with rubber/poly jaws and incorporate it into the project. If you want to get craftly, try to design a 6" -> 8" brake adapter that will work with both ISO/post mounts.

Last but not least would be making some really decent light housings or bar clamps for bar mounts, etc, or a decent hitch mounted bike carrier.

Just some ideas and perhaps they're all too lame for what you want to tackle.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 20:49 Quote
rm-rider wrote:
I had a lot of fun making my bike stand. Not only was there a bunch of welding to be done and cutting. But also working on a stable design so it would not tip over with the weight of a bike on it. You also have to be creative on how you plan on attaching the bike to the stand. I came up with an idea where the bike is attached to the stand by the top tube. I have had not problems with it yet. I will try to post some pictures later today or tomorrow of it.

rm-rider-
Any pix of that stand you welded up?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 20:58 Quote
I have to agree, most people don't get to do whatever they want in their first highschool metal shop, but I'm in my second year and I pretty much have free reighn of the shop, I get to be the one to set up the new lathes, mills and CNC machines, we just got a CNC plasma so I'm going to start on some cool stuff soon.

Some projects I'm going to try is bar ends, stem caps, axles for shimano hubs (the shimano one break a lot!) a bash guard, valve caps, steer tube spacers, and some cone wrenches.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 20:59 Quote
oh, and my buddy and I are making a go cart frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021523
Mobile Version of Website