Powered by Outside

Wood Structures That Will Last for Years.

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Wood Structures That Will Last for Years.
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:33 Quote
RockyMountainPride wrote:
dhrunner wrote:
derekt wrote:

to bad you dont have cedar as it wont rot for a long time, and itd be better if you split your slats with an axe and hammer because youll get more grip outa it.

Put chicken wire over it. Any skilled builder should know that guys:P

Wow that made me laugh out loud. Any skilled builder WOULD NOT use chicken wire. Ever see much chicken wire on quality trails on the Shore? Ever see any chicken wire at Diablo, Highland, Sunday River, or Attitash? No...Chicken wire should be saved for keeping chickens where they should be. Not contaminating trails.
You do see it alot uccualy. or they cut crosses into the wood for tracction

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:36 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
dhrunner wrote:

Wow that made me laugh out loud. Any skilled builder WOULD NOT use chicken wire. Ever see much chicken wire on quality trails on the Shore? Ever see any chicken wire at Diablo, Highland, Sunday River, or Attitash? No...Chicken wire should be saved for keeping chickens where they should be. Not contaminating trails.

Yeah definetly, just not with chicken wire. Sorry Runner if that sounded harsh BTW, just sayin.

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
derekt wrote:
stickclip wrote:
derekt wrote:
^ what kinda wood is that?
its pine of some sort even the red its just that color
to bad you dont have cedar as it wont rot for a long time, and itd be better if you split your slats with an axe and hammer because youll get more grip outa it.
in Alberta we don't have many if any ceders here , and we all so have little rain here so i am not worried about rot as long as its off the ground. i all so use a rip chain with sharp ends it leaves a ruff feel . splitting is hard on pine trees because there are lots off knots.

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
derekt wrote:

i was just gunna add that buti decided to go for a quick sesh at a hip down the road Razz

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:48 Quote
bmclane wrote:
photo

Something that's not mentioned very often, peeling the wood will easily add years to the life of a structure, though it can be a pain in the ass without the proper tools. Spiral nails and 2" cedar planks don't hurt either. Roofing shingles for traction.
i already mentioned that btw Smile

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:51 Quote
bmclane wrote:
photo

Something that's not mentioned very often, peeling the wood will easily add years to the life of a structure, though it can be a pain in the ass without the proper tools. Spiral nails and 2" cedar planks don't hurt either. Roofing shingles for traction.

6 inch Spiral Timber Ties at Lowe's, best sh!t ever.

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 17:58 Quote
bmclane wrote:
photo

lol theres a super mini version of that on one the local trails around where i live
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
photo

photo

Try knock this shit down. Especially the landing. I'd hate to be the person in charge of tearing it down the one long to the right of the landing weighs about 500lbs its insane.

We've got more stuff like this, ill post it up later.

n00b proof

Looks pretty solid, drop into a pinner berm. Like how the ladder is there on the landing and the solid wood and connectors.
Now I am not an engineer or great trail builder, but if you want this thing to really last then something like that support underneath the landing ramp needs to be sitting ON the legs, not nailed onto them from the side. If its bearing then the legs do most of the work for you, if they aren't then all the stress of landing goes directly onto whatever is pinning them together which unfortunately doesn't last nearly as long.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:

Yeah definetly, just not with chicken wire. Sorry Runner if that sounded harsh BTW, just sayin.

Contaminating trails? That wasn't what it was about. Wood gets moss growing on it and it doesn't matter whatever pattern you've drawn in you wood but it will still be slipperey. Chicken wire stops it. Works the best.

Alot of pros such as vanderham who have their own secret trails deep in the BC forests that suffer from moss and slime growth use chicken wire.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:18 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Contaminating trails? That wasn't what it was about. Wood gets moss growing on it and it doesn't matter whatever pattern you've drawn in you wood but it will still be slipperey. Chicken wire stops it. Works the best.

Alot of pros such as vanderham who have their own secret trails deep in the BC forests that suffer from moss and slime growth use chicken wire.
nah im good

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

They have a very large area to cover at those places. Chicken wire is hard to place and wears down relatively quickly in heavily trafficed areas such as those. Obv. they would simply chainsaw grooves into the wood its much easier lol and lasts alot longer.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

They actually use a thicker cut out plate in a diamond patter. My whole point is just that chicken wire looks shotty and doesnt last long, plus it just doesn't look very clean.

Posted: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:20 Quote
dhrunner wrote:
dhrunner wrote:

They have a very large area to cover at those places. Chicken wire is hard to place and wears down relatively quickly in heavily trafficed areas such as those. Obv. they would simply chainsaw grooves into the wood its much easier lol and lasts alot longer.
i actually dont find chicken wire grippyer than spit cedar slats, and it takes a long time for thes slats to get greasy, and the chainsaw grooves do work very good

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:30 Quote
derekt wrote:
use deadfall cedar from the forest and use 7 inch galvinized spiral nails to attatch the main supports/stringers/cross braces, then use shorter galvinised spiral nails to nail slats on.
How to make slats/rungs http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=73697

There is no cedar where the orginal poster lives, there is only pine and that is at least 20 miles away.

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
smilycook wrote:
derekt wrote:
use deadfall cedar from the forest and use 7 inch galvinized spiral nails to attatch the main supports/stringers/cross braces, then use shorter galvinised spiral nails to nail slats on.
How to make slats/rungs http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=73697

There is no cedar where the orginal poster lives, there is only pine and that is at least 20 miles away.
well thats to bad

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027185
Mobile Version of Website