Powered by Outside

Rate YOUR bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rate YOUR bike
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
07 DK xenia 7.5 all i can complain about is the weight (34 lbs)

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
My bike for 09. Lots has been done since this picture was taken though.
Overall 7.5/10.. still needs a new rear end and heavier spring.

Specs:
Frame - 04 Kona Joyride WBP Edition
Fork - 06 Manitou Sherman Slider
Shock - Fox Vanilla RC 400lbs spring
Bars - Dobermann
Stem - Azonic
Brakes - Hayes MAG 8" front/ 7" rear
Pedals - 1664 Beavertraps
Cranks - Raceface DH Evolve w/ x-type BB
Chain Device - Truvativ Boxguide
Cassette - 9spd SRAM PG 970 (26-11)
Chain - SRAM PC991 Hollow Pin
Rear Derailleur & Shifter - Deore/ Shimano 105
Wheels - Azonic Outlaw
Tires - Maxxis Minion DH 2.7 front & back

photo

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
downhilljoker wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
bxxer-rider wrote:

well SP are:
naturally laterally stiffer
naturally less maintenance
naturally lighter
naturally cheaper
naturally easier access to the shock

ONLY down side is that also have a naturally falling ratio though the stroke. but orange are sorting that with the 225

Stiffer?

Orange and Rocky Mountain have some of the most flex I've ever encountered.

yeah, some single pivots can be VERY flexy, also there is more stress on the bearings so there is more matience needed. And in the case of Orange bikes theyre definatly not inexpensive

it is still easyer to build a stronger SP as you know exactly where the stresses are going to be, honestly though there is a limit to how stiff you want things.

yes orange bikes tent to be pretty expensive, but if you build a complex pivot bike in the same way then the price would truly be though the roof, folded sheet ALU and hand welded, in a country with a magnificent heavy metal industry history.

in my orange the bearings are 2+years old with no maintenance, only just beginning to get creak in them so they are going to be replaced. and then its only £15, i have a friend who had to pay £80 for bearings for his old school vp-free, a diff friend paid £60 (i think) for bearings for his demo 8, and does not include the shock bearings or the very bottom front bearings. so is defiantly cheaper to maintain.

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
bxxer-rider wrote:
it is still easyer to build a stronger SP as you know exactly where the stresses are going to be, honestly though there is a limit to how stiff you want things.

yes orange bikes tent to be pretty expensive, but if you build a complex pivot bike in the same way then the price would truly be though the roof, folded sheet ALU and hand welded, in a country with a magnificent heavy metal industry history.

in my orange the bearings are 2+years old with no maintenance, only just beginning to get creak in them so they are going to be replaced. and then its only £15, i have a friend who had to pay £80 for bearings for his old school vp-free, a diff friend paid £60 (i think) for bearings for his demo 8, and does not include the shock bearings or the very bottom front bearings. so is defiantly cheaper to maintain.

And you don't know where the stresses are on a bike with linkage? Do you realize how that makes absolutely not sense at all?

If your bearings have lasted 2+ years, then you don't ride much.

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
bxxer-rider wrote:

And you don't know where the stresses are on a bike with linkage? Do you realize how that makes absolutely not sense at all?

linkage systems can experience unexpected stresses in areas where they are more fragile.

i ride loads, 4-5 times a week im out for a few hours at least, cos of this i have destroyed (pretty much) a new wheel set in around 5months, my bearing get shed loads od beatings, as my shock is partly blown i bottom out reali hard at least once each ride, i have the right spring and compression wound up to max.

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
bxxer-rider wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
bxxer-rider wrote:

linkage systems can experience unexpected stresses in areas where they are more fragile.

i ride loads, 4-5 times a week im out for a few hours at least, cos of this i have destroyed (pretty much) a new wheel set in around 5months, my bearing get shed loads od beatings, as my shock is partly blown i bottom out reali hard at least once each ride, i have the right spring and compression wound up to max.

Unexpected? Use your brain.

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 2:09 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
bxxer-rider wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:

Unexpected? Use your brain.

yes i am, and i am talking from experience.

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 2:15 Quote
hmmm id give my 303r probly a 10 out of 10 haha i love my ride

photo

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 2:58 Quote
id give my P2 a 7/10. i think its ugly and it is really heavy. sugestions on upgrades?
photo

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 8:17 Quote
p2ftw wrote:
id give my P2 a 7/10. i think its ugly and it is really heavy. sugestions on upgrades?
photo

lower and smaller seat, lower the fork, and single speed forsure

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 11:31 Quote
bxxer-rider wrote:

No you're not.

Any forces on suspension are going to be expected. That's what they pay engineers a lot of money to do.

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
bxxer-rider wrote:

No you're not.

Any forces on suspension are going to be expected. That's what they pay engineers a lot of money to do.

nah i think boxxer rider knows his shit,
like if u land from a jump ur totaly gunna f*ck up ur suspension
or even worse if a u ride over a root or rock!

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 13:08 Quote
iambike4lyf wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
bxxer-rider wrote:

No you're not.

nah i think boxxer rider knows his shit,
like if u land from a jump ur totaly gunna f*ck up ur suspension
or even worse if a u ride over a root or rock!
thank you for the sarcasm Cool

for example, when doing a mx whip you do no always bring the back end of the bike in line again for the landing, if you do not do so on a SP then all the stress goes into the naturally gusseted section of the bike, where as a multipivot, for example a demo 8 the stresses are focused on the back end of the magnesium link, which does not have any strength enhancements for any thing other then striaght up and down moment, this has been shown by a friend i ride with managed to snap the bold retaining the bearing in place, where as a SP it goes straight into the downtube or seat tube of the frame which can stand greater forces.

point proven.

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
One instance of your friend screwing up a jump and that's you point?

I've ridden SP bikes and bikes with linkage, and if you're landing so far sideways that you're breaking linkage, you're going to break the rear end of the SP as well.

Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 13:30 Quote
I rate my custom 08 Giant Reign X1 a 10 out of 10 because I can adjust the suspension to excel in any type of riding and the frame is extremely strong for DH and FR!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020551
Mobile Version of Website