Powered by Outside

Best AM Bike: Enduro vs. Reign vs. Remedy

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best AM Bike: Enduro vs. Reign vs. Remedy
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 9:57 Quote
Cata1yst wrote:
Im somewhat worried about beating upoun the Remedy for some reason, it doesnt seem very beefy, but i should be getting a Reign Frame pretty soon here.

Theyre all the same it looks like, neck and neck, im just not a fan of Spesh shocks because of their shady history so that eliminates the newer enduro's in my eyes, Reign looks like it should be more FR oriented, and the Remedy more XC oriented.

Its up to you lol
You cant go wrong between the choices really

If you go to a bike store, and look at the Remedy, I think you'll take back that idea of it not being very beefy. I thought it's amazing that a bike of that size and beefiness could still be under 30 pounds. Best way to find out is to demo it, though.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 10:05 Quote
I think you're right on that. Plus, it's stock with a Lyrik - how XC can it be?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 13:50 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
I think you're right on that. Plus, it's stock with a Lyrik - how XC can it be?

Yeah. If you go to a store, that Lyric has got big stantions for a bike under 30 lbs. It's an aggressive-looking bike, but I'll certainly look for one to demo. Is anybody else looking for a bike in the 'all-mountain' category?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
bikeobsessed wrote:
reign x!! MAESTRO SUSPENSION FTW!!!!!!

The Maestro suspension did feel the plushest of all the bikes - on the downhill - I'll give you that. But, like everything, you need to choose where to compromise, and it didn't climb as well as, say, the Enduro. And, the poor climbing was with the X0 and the air shock I demoed, and considering this is out of the price range of most, you'd be looking at a coil, and you can just feel those shocks sap your energy.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:01 Quote
i have got a remedy and i love it, it really isnt an XC bike at all, it pedals brilliantly for a 160mm travel rig, but on the down it really comes into its own it eats up drops and rocks with ease without bobbying much on the flats etc, the lyrics are brilliant forks for this bike with the larger stantions than the pikes etc and the maxle, i am going to put some more pics up later on so feel free to have a look and drop us a message if you have got any questions and it the info from the horses mouth rather than people oppinions who havnt ridden a remedy, thanks tom

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
Cata1yst wrote:
Im somewhat worried about beating upoun the Remedy for some reason, it doesnt seem very beefy, but i should be getting a Reign Frame pretty soon here.

Theyre all the same it looks like, neck and neck, im just not a fan of Spesh shocks because of their shady history so that eliminates the newer enduro's in my eyes, Reign looks like it should be more FR oriented, and the Remedy more XC oriented.

Its up to you lol

Specialized has really fixed their shocks. I put in a quote that I found on another thread (Specialized Pitch Pro vs. Enduro). Pardon the grammar.

pperini wrote:
thats the point that people usually dont know....it has always been Fox doing theyre suspensions....what happens is that there is this guy, i dont remember his name, that put RockShox on the map, he basicaly created everything that is good about RS, this same guy is the owner of Factory Connection, wich is a brand of suspensions in US that fine-tune motocross suspensions for the AMA riders, this same guy worked in Fox, and made the earlier fragile and light Foxes, into tuf and light Foxes, AND this same guy is the guy that designed the Spesh suspensions, so that means that Spesh suspensions has a little bit of Factory Connection, RockShox and Fox in its blood, the only thing they did for 08 was revalving....

As you can see, Specialized has definitely got some exprience behind their shocks. I would agree that the Reign is more FR oriented, and I can actually say I've tested the 'latest and greatest' Reign (the X0) which is the lightest of the bunch, and yet it was still 35.5 lb. For a FR bike, that's light, but when you're comparing that to sub-30 lb. all-mountain machines, it seems a little weak. That's not even taking into account the price...

Personally, I think that the Remedy and Enduro are right smack in the middle. The RM is too, but a little heavier than it should be.

How are you going to build up your Reign Frame?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:03 Quote
Well which one climbs the best, and which one descends the best?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
BikeDaug40 wrote:
Well which one climbs the best, and which one descends the best?

I haven't rode the Remedy, but I think it's safe to assume the best climber is the Enduro, and the best descender is the Reign

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:07 Quote
canadiandegelder wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:

Its up to you lol

Specialized has really fixed their shocks. I put in a quote that I found on another thread (Specialized Pitch Pro vs. Enduro). Pardon the grammar.

pperini wrote:
thats the point that people usually dont know....it has always been Fox doing theyre suspensions....what happens is that there is this guy, i dont remember his name, that put RockShox on the map, he basicaly created everything that is good about RS, this same guy is the owner of Factory Connection, wich is a brand of suspensions in US that fine-tune motocross suspensions for the AMA riders, this same guy worked in Fox, and made the earlier fragile and light Foxes, into tuf and light Foxes, AND this same guy is the guy that designed the Spesh suspensions, so that means that Spesh suspensions has a little bit of Factory Connection, RockShox and Fox in its blood, the only thing they did for 08 was revalving....

As you can see, Specialized has definitely got some exprience behind their shocks. I would agree that the Reign is more FR oriented, and I can actually say I've tested the 'latest and greatest' Reign (the X0) which is the lightest of the bunch, and yet it was still 35.5 lb. For a FR bike, that's light, but when you're comparing that to sub-30 lb. all-mountain machines, it seems a little weak. That's not even taking into account the price...

Personally, I think that the Remedy and Enduro are right smack in the middle. The RM is too, but a little heavier than it should be.

You do realize that they make a regular 6" reign, right?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
canadiandegelder wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:

Its up to you lol

pperini wrote:

You do realize that they make a regular 6" reign, right?

Yes, they have the Reign 0, Reign 1 and Reign 2. They are quite different than the X series, and, while they're still said to have the Maestro Suspension, it's not what you'd expect. Overall, it's a fairly XC bike. For an all mountain bike, you need to have a more aggressive head angle than 69 degrees.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:22 Quote
canadiandegelder wrote:
Yes, they have the Reign 0, Reign 1 and Reign 2. They are quite different than the X series, and, while they're still said to have the Maestro Suspension, it's not what you'd expect. Overall, it's a fairly XC bike. For an all mountain bike, you need to have a more aggressive head angle than 69 degrees.

It actually rides very well, and can handle a lot more than XC. It is their AM bike, and the Reign X is their agressive AM/light FR bike.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:28 Quote
Sorry to derail the thread but it was Mike McAndrews that helped Spesh with the brain and getting fox right. I would lean towards a reign (not X) with a slightly longer travel fork. Best of both worlds!

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:38 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
canadiandegelder wrote:

It actually rides very well, and can handle a lot more than XC. It is their AM bike, and the Reign X is their agressive AM/light FR bike.

I am not going to dispute that it rides well, but the geometry is that of an XC bike. I have ridden a Rocky Mountain Element (71 degree head angle) on the North Shore, but I can now say that anything over about 68 degrees begs to go endo on the steeps. The Reign series is 69. Having said that, they've slackened it to 68 for the 2009 models. It may still fit in the 'all-mountain' category, but it is leaning strongly to the XC end.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:40 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Sorry to derail the thread but it was Mike McAndrews that helped Spesh with the brain and getting fox right. I would lean towards a reign (not X) with a slightly longer travel fork. Best of both worlds!

Thanks for naming the guy. Don't know if I really want to start switching out major parts, though (forks). Giant seems to have 2 AM bikes, with one leaning heavily to the FR end, and the other leaning heavily to the XC side.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 14:53 Quote
I would stay away from the X1 if you're looking for a decent climber. Mine climbed just ok but it is on the freeride side of things for sure.

What about building up a Heckler? I think my ultimate do all bike would be a Heckler with a Pike 454 on the front.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016568
Mobile Version of Website