Powered by Outside

Can u use a moto-x helmet for freeride/DH?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Can u use a moto-x helmet for freeride/DH?
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 18:07 Quote
brodierider4 wrote:
Mx all the way. alot stronger. you only have one brain., better take care of it
until they figure out brain transplants...but i dont think thats ever going to happend

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 18:30 Quote
mx helmets are made to take high speed impacts, REALLY HARD IMPACTS. there for the helmet it self is really hard, mx helmets are designed to basically destroy it self to save your head, the whole helmet compressed, BUT ONLY AT HIGH SPEEDS. using a mx helmet for dh is not a good idea in that you will never hit you head hard enough to make the helmet do its job so it can actually in theory break you head, or give you a extremly bad concoucion because the helmet just wont compress under impact, a proper bike helmet has softer foam inside so it can compress when you fall, a mx lid wont cause its not a great enough impact, thats why they make helmets like the d1, troy lee would actaully make more money if they just sold mx lids cause they cost more and more people in differnt ranges of sport can the buy it like mtb, but no they make the d1 cause they know the mx lid would actaully harm you when you fall

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 21:32 Quote
bailey262 wrote:
even mtb fullfaces arent that protective...
he was wearing a giro remedy fullface and check this out
photo

he wuz wearing a fox launch fullface nick

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 21:41 Quote
I used to race mx and did for ten years until 2007 and I have hit my head very hard many times with the moto helmet and never got a head injury. In 2002 I started wearing a mtb helmet when i got into downhill and the mtb helmets are rediculess because the shell, foam, and pad are way too thin and cant absorb hard impacts. The force just goes directly to you instead of being partially transferred into the helmet. I hit my head fairly hard and got knocked out for 4 minutes!! If i was wearing my moto helmet I swear I could have got up and kept riding immediately no problems. A moto helmet can definitely absorb the impacts A LOT MORE!!!

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 21:46 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
mx helmets are made to take high speed impacts, REALLY HARD IMPACTS. there for the helmet it self is really hard, mx helmets are designed to basically destroy it self to save your head, the whole helmet compressed, BUT ONLY AT HIGH SPEEDS. using a mx helmet for dh is not a good idea in that you will never hit you head hard enough to make the helmet do its job so it can actually in theory break you head, or give you a extremly bad concoucion because the helmet just wont compress under impact, a proper bike helmet has softer foam inside so it can compress when you fall, a mx lid wont cause its not a great enough impact, thats why they make helmets like the d1, troy lee would actaully make more money if they just sold mx lids cause they cost more and more people in differnt ranges of sport can the buy it like mtb, but no they make the d1 cause they know the mx lid would actaully harm you when you fall
I don't doubt you at all, but just wondering, where'd you get this information? is there some reliable place I can find this?

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 22:18 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
So flying down a DH trail into a tree doesnt qualify as a hard impact at high speeds......Hahaha...Haha..ha...ah

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 22:47 Quote
TWilks wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
I don't doubt you at all, but just wondering, where'd you get this information? is there some reliable place I can find this?
about 25% logical thinking and 75% of this happening to my science teacher, he used his moto helm at whistler and was out of his job for a month do to a massive concucion, later during class he disected his helmet and found there was no sign of compression, there for foam = to hard

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 23:01 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
TWilks wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
about 25% logical thinking and 75% of this happening to my science teacher, he used his moto helm at whistler and was out of his job for a month do to a massive concucion, later during class he disected his helmet and found there was no sign of compression, there for foam = to hard

that's the biggest load of shit I've heard

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 23:08 Quote
terrance wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
TWilks wrote:

ok get a concucion, what do i care, its your f*cking head

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 23:13 Quote
Gosh, I was wondering this last year. Pretty much, my friend and I were bored and done with the lab that we had to do, so we did an informal experiment in our physics lab with both types of helmets. This was with my Pro-Tec ace full face and his Fly DOT approved helmet. I outgrew my Pro-tec helmet so I didn't really care about destroying it. Just be aware that my pro-tec helmet didn't experience any hard impacts.

Its a pretty simple experiment. We taped an egg to the inside (forehead) of each helmet and impacted the forehead of the helmet with a metal pipe, both with close to the same amount of force. We also had a force sensor, but our TA wouldn't let us use it, hence, the eggs.

The egg in the pro-tec helmet cracked lightly on the first impact. The egg in the fly helmet failed to crack. What does this mean? A DOT helmet will transfer less force to your head, saving you in an impact.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 23:16 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
terrance wrote:
mr-eric wrote:

ok get a concucion, what do i care, its your f*cking head
Its just as easy to get a concussion from a normal mtb helmet.....The concusion is from the actual impact and your brain moving and hitting the skull....No helmet will protect you fully protect you from that

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 8:27 Quote
OK there's a lot of misinformation floating around here that's going to get someone hurt...

First of all the type of helmet you use WILL dramtically reduce your odds of a concussion.

The type of injury mechanism we are talking about is a coup/contra-coup injury. This has two impacts that can cause a head injury. The first is the imapact of an outside object on your head. This is the primary focus of a DOT helmet. The foam and shell are stiffer in order to retain the shape of your head when a dirt bike lands on it from 40ft in the air. They fit extremely close to the head up around the cheeks and everything because your head becomes a structural part of the helmet. Motocrossers get concussions all the time... but you don't see skull fractures... it's that simple.

The second impact is the rapid deceleration of the head that causes the brain to impact the skull. A helmet designed to reduce this will literally destroy itself to protect your head. A softer material will slow the deceleration of your head and lessen that impact of your brain against the skull. We need to lose the DH'er pride for a minute and stop thinking that we even come close to generating the same forces that the MX guys do. We don't wreck at the same speeds, from the same heights, and (most importantly) we don't have a 200-300lb bike to contend with landing on our head. Going over the bars and having your V10 seat smack your head into the ground is much different than having your 650 enduro smack your head into the ground. A bike helmet is designed for the impacts that it sustains. The shell will deform more and the foam will crush, thus slowing your brain and reducing the chance of a concussion. If there is enough force, the materials will crush to a point where you will have a direct impact to the skull... odds of that are pretty slim as most DH helmets are overbuilt anyways.

Each helmet is designed for the forces it will encounter... I personally don't care which you use so long as you have something on your dome.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 10:22 Quote
bennance wrote:
OK there's a lot of misinformation floating around here that's going to get someone hurt...

First of all the type of helmet you use WILL dramtically reduce your odds of a concussion.

The type of injury mechanism we are talking about is a coup/contra-coup injury. This has two impacts that can cause a head injury. The first is the imapact of an outside object on your head. This is the primary focus of a DOT helmet. The foam and shell are stiffer in order to retain the shape of your head when a dirt bike lands on it from 40ft in the air. They fit extremely close to the head up around the cheeks and everything because your head becomes a structural part of the helmet. Motocrossers get concussions all the time... but you don't see skull fractures... it's that simple.

The second impact is the rapid deceleration of the head that causes the brain to impact the skull. A helmet designed to reduce this will literally destroy itself to protect your head. A softer material will slow the deceleration of your head and lessen that impact of your brain against the skull. We need to lose the DH'er pride for a minute and stop thinking that we even come close to generating the same forces that the MX guys do. We don't wreck at the same speeds, from the same heights, and (most importantly) we don't have a 200-300lb bike to contend with landing on our head. Going over the bars and having your V10 seat smack your head into the ground is much different than having your 650 enduro smack your head into the ground. A bike helmet is designed for the impacts that it sustains. The shell will deform more and the foam will crush, thus slowing your brain and reducing the chance of a concussion. If there is enough force, the materials will crush to a point where you will have a direct impact to the skull... odds of that are pretty slim as most DH helmets are overbuilt anyways.

Each helmet is designed for the forces it will encounter... I personally don't care which you use so long as you have something on your dome.

Thats what I was gunna say Blank Stare . You simply beat me to it.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
bennance wrote:

That was far more helpful than any other post in this thread. Thanks, I won't get a mx helmet for sure.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013720
Mobile Version of Website