Powered by Outside

Rewelding frame near where the shock connects to the frame? :(

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rewelding frame near where the shock connects to the frame? :(
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 4:56 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
ok so if i call mondraker, and tell them i have a 2005 or 2004 frame thats cracked, coud i have any luck? like if its a 2005/04 frame what are the chances they still have them? Confused

well they have to keep some stock for warranty cases

just give em a call; you might be lucky get a cheapo repair that costs less than all the time and effort to make a bodge job of it

the only way to fail is if you don't try

and i'd rather fail than do nothing

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 5:00 Quote
Keit wrote:
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
ok so if i call mondraker, and tell them i have a 2005 or 2004 frame thats cracked, coud i have any luck? like if its a 2005/04 frame what are the chances they still have them? Confused

well they have to keep some stock for warranty cases

just give em a call; you might be lucky get a cheapo repair that costs less than all the time and effort to make a bodge job of it

the only way to fail is if you don't try

and i'd rather fail than do nothing

i will give them a call, or send them an email, thanks for the help Smile

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 8:22 Quote
Is it OK to ride like this? i was told to just put some metal glue, i forgot the name now... but is it? coz i dont see it getting welded, and i couldnt find mondrakers emial on the website, so i contacted the local distributer, and havent had a reply so far...

i mean if i keep an eye on it, and if it doesnt grow... and no drops to flat!

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 8:40 Quote
metal glue? like JBweld? that won't really help anything. as for just riding it. thats up to you, I wouldn't even think about riding that frame. its already broken and will only brake more, probably when you least expect it. I'd say strip all the components off it and hang it up in your garage or sell it as scrap metal.

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 15:11 Quote
yea u should try cold welding. u need to find a welder who knows how to properly weld aluminum because it takes a higher voltage to weld aluminum then it does with steel.

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 17:06 Quote
coming from a welder, ide say...

you can:

get the frame welded and heat treated. welding is going to cost you some, heat treatment even more, maybe about $300 by the time the bike is good to go again.

get it welded and call it good enough. aluminum without heat treatment does not have the same amount of tensile strength (tensile = ability to resist being pulled apart) so it is more likly to crack again than a heat treated frame.

drill a hole at the end of the crack (this is actually how they stop cracks in airplanes, belive it or not, because you can't exactly heat treat an airplane over every little crack) this might stop the crack, maybe not. you have to be sure that you drill out the very end of the crack, or it's pretty useless.

or just leave it and see if it spreads. dosent look like a critical location, its not the headtube, so whatever...

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
[Quote="dutchster"]coming from a welder, ide say...

you can:

get the frame welded and heat treated. welding is going to cost you some, heat treatment even more, maybe about $300 by the time the bike is good to go again.

get it welded and call it good enough. aluminum without heat treatment does not have the same amount of tensile strength (tensile = ability to resist being pulled apart) so it is more likly to crack again than a heat treated frame.

drill a hole at the end of the crack (this is actually how they stop cracks in airplanes, belive it or not, because you can't exactly heat treat an airplane over every little crack) this might stop the crack, maybe not. you have to be sure that you drill out the very end of the crack, or it's pretty useless.

or just leave it and see if it spreads. dosent look like a critical location, its not the headtube, so whatever...[/Quote]

thats what the LBS guy said, he just said to keep an eye on it...

now i will never go on a plane ever again!

what size drill bit would you say? 2-3mm?

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 0:49 Quote
i've never done a crack repair on a bike frame, but that sounds reasonable. i'de get another opinion on the size before you do it...

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:12 Quote
[Quote="TyreBurningBiker"]
dutchster wrote:
coming from a welder, ide say...

you can:

or just leave it and see if it spreads. dosent look like a critical location, its not the headtube, so whatever...[/Quote]

thats what the LBS guy said, he just said to keep an eye on it...

now i will never go on a plane ever again!

what size drill bit would you say? 2-3mm?

have you checked if you can get a warranty replacement and or a best offer for a new mainframe; all this time and hassle will have already payed for it

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:44 Quote
i didnt get a reply from mondraker...
it is the same fram as an azonic eliminator, and oryx DH4, so maybe i'll try those, do you know if azonic is still ''alive''?

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:47 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
it is the same fram as an azonic eliminator, and oryx DH4, so maybe i'll try those, do you know if azonic is still ''alive''?

yeah

http://www.azonicusa.com/

the website used to be terrible; this is much more usr friendly

hang on it links to oneal; hmm best give em a call

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:08 Quote
If youre still deciding what to do i'd say that if you cant contact mondraker or theyre turning a blind eye (which could be possible) perhaps try contacting a custom bike shop whether it be motorbikes or bicycles or trikes or whatever, give them a call and ask them if they can do a welding and heat treating repair for a good price. You mind find they have some alternative solutions especially if they make bikes from scratch? And you can be pretty confident in these guys ability. But shipping, distance, currency etc. might be a problem if you cant find any within reach.

ALSO- another avenue you may wish to explore is insurance, if you have bike insurance or its covered on your home insurance you could always claim for premature breakages or accident insurance and if they find the damage was premature (depending on how long the warranty was) you might get enough money on the insurance in the first instance for a new bike or repairs and you might even get compensation if the company isnt giving you the right for a warranty replacement or repair.
But I wouldnt recommend getting embroiled in something like that, just make a simple insurance claim if your really desperate for a new bike, some companies even offer to retain your no claims bonus if the claim is under a certain amount but that varies worldwide so they may not.

hope you get it sorted out though buddy.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:11 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:

good idea contacting them because the frame is the same but they might not want to touch it to be honest because you dont know what the patents/producing rights are and if they made changes to it, they wouldnt want to be held in any way responsible if it failed again and you got injured... you'd be out in the cold then youd be out of pocket and bike and possibly back to square one again. id say it would be best to take it to a private/standalone company that would have to take responsibility for it if a repair or weld failed.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:12 Quote
thanks 100cas, i didnt think about that...

the problem with warranty is that i'm not the first owner so...

and about mondraker not answering, i couldnt find the proper email, so i contacted the local distribuitor, i contacted azonic just now, coz its the same frame basically, waiting for an answer now...

g'day

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:19 Quote
Contact address either infoweb@mondraker.com or by phone number +34 965 681 554

always check the legal link and not just the contact linky Wink

warranty:

Mondraker warranty

Blue Factory Team S.L.U. ("Mondraker") Elche Parque Industrial.
C/ Torres y Villarroel, 6. 03203 Elche España.
Offers the following Warranty on their bicycles and frames.

One year warranty for DH complete bicycles and frames.

Mondraker guaranties the original buyer, so the warranty is not transferible, the DH complete bicycle or frame for the period of one year. The warranty is applicable to the factory defective materials. The components not covered are those which suffered any damage from accidents, bad use, wrong assembling or natural wear. Not covered by warranty are also those parts that have been modified in their construction or original equipment. Mondraker reserves the right to replace the bicycle complete or some of its parts according to their consideration.

Conditions.

* The warranty is only applicable to the original buyer of the Mondraker frame or complete bike.
* The Mondraker warranty is not transferible.
* The warranty procedure is as follows: once you find the defective material you will bring your frame or bicycle to your sales point with the warranty bill that you receive when you buy your bike. It should be suitably filled with the serial number of the frame and the stamp of the authorized dealer.
* The warranty procedure will be handled by the authorized dealer, both the shipment and the reception of the product.
* The warranty does not cover other pˆrts of the bike damaged by the factory defective frame.
* The warrany will be accepted if the "warranty bill" is stamped by the Mondraker authorized dealer to the following address:

Blue Factory Team S.L.U.
Elche Parque Industrial. C/ Torres y Villarroel, 6.
03203 Elche Spain.

* Every bicycle and frame is designed to develop a different use according to their caracteristics, so the warranty will be accepted if the bicycle or frame have been used for their purpose.

balah balah balah

so it's older than a year

jsut say you want to buy a mainframe and will pay them x (whatever it may be worth; got to dealer and ask him to find out and then just offer a little less and see what happens)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014262
Mobile Version of Website