Powered by Outside

Which pros use platform vs. clipless pedals

PB Forum :: Downhill
Which pros use platform vs. clipless pedals
O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 14:12 Quote
ive tryed both
I like spds for the reason that u could pedal the hell out of the bike but for anything else i didnt like them. I was finding my foot was really uncomfortable and felt like it was out of place in corners. and any type of jumping at all i noticed no difference.
I ran shimano DX pedals
and Flats i rise 5050 sealed with 5 10 shoes.

Ive tryed both and i prefer flats

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 15:33 Quote
Depending on what I'm riding, If the course is more tech with less pedalling, like the canadian open, then I will run flats. But if the course is really pedally then I run clips. I did run clips on the garbanzo race(really wet this year!) and at mt washington(fairly tech) though, and i didnt have a problem in the corners and in the techier sections, It just takes like 5-10 rides to get used to being clipped in. I think I'll be running clipless at most races this year though.

I thought that rennie switched between flats and clips?

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 16:24 Quote
Buddy you wanna save your self the go buy the 5050xx and the buy 5 10 shoes, Sam Hill and Nathan Rennie both use 5 10 shoes and they're so tackey that its like you cliped in but if you mess up a landing then your bike wont come with you.

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 17:28 Quote
-rmr- wrote:
g10ry wrote:
mikeyboy wrote:
The only riders I know, that consistently runs flats are Nathan Rennie and Sam Hill (both sponsored by 5.10 though, so that MIGHT be the reason why.) Apparently (the commentator for the worlds on freecaster said this) the trend among younger downhill riders is flat pedals, while the older racers tend to use clips.

do you no if theres any reason y theres such a diffrence between the younger and older riders though?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the older riders started riding when everyone rode clip-in, courses were less technical, and almost everyone also rode cross-country. As such, they got used to clip-in. Now, we're seeing people who've never ridden cross-country and have never had to get familiar with clip-in pedals.
ya i'm 16 and I use clips. they are so much better. you dont have to think of your feet boucing off and its really nice for pumping

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 18:22 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
but i think flats are waaaay better for learning cornering and stuff where your gonna crash if you push it.

wouldn't learning the hard way, clipping in, make you a better rider, esp. in "cornering and stuff"? just like how bmxers swear that brakeless makes you a better rider (which i certainly believe to be true)?

i'd say, relying on and putting your foot down for a corner, is just like using a brake for street - chickening out and pressing the brake.

unless dabbing actually makes your corners a lot sharper and makes you a faster rider. i don't dh (haven't had a chance yet since i started biking), so i wouldn't really know.

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 19:40 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
i like flats, purely because ive never tried clips and to be honest i dont want to incase i like them!

but i think flats are waaaay better for learning cornering and stuff where your gonna crash if you push it.

start a new trend - no more clips!!!!

mmm i would have to disagree because when you are cliped in you tend to keep your feet on the pedals. if you are very good at turning with your feet on your pedals u will be better at cornering

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 0:09 Quote
g10ry wrote:
if you are very good at turning with your feet on your pedals u will be better at cornering

Also, you can get back on the gas a lot faster when your feet are still on the pedals.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 10:23 Quote
I use clips for DH/racing have riden both with flats and 5.10 Crank brothers Mallets and Candy's. I find Clips 1. allow you to pedal harder, 2. allow you so much more control over the bike (i.e. you can manipulate the bike much better.) 3. make it so much easier to pump and flow the bike through sections.

The advantage of flats in my opinion is more for Freeriders, 1. to do tricks on jumps, 2. if you are riding lots of skinnies and stuff and now you're going to be bailing it's nice to be able to jump of the bike, instill confidence and take a foot off the pedal to help with balance 3. the falt surfaces and sticky shoes make it easier to start on a super steep or tech sections if you have fallen and have to get back on (but in a race if you've fallen it's usually already over), but something like the mallets and a shoe that has a softer sole allows me to get a pedal or two in with enough control to et to a point where I can clip back in.

But it's really a personal prefernace, I believe any rider would be quicker clipped if he's confident and confortable while clipped in, ultimately if you are uncomfortable and always worried about what will hapen if you fall clipped in, you'll be more causcious and ultimately slower. (i.e. there will definately be a learning curve)

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 10:49 Quote
if ur question is should i use clips or no then go with platforms for fun and clips for racing and training

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:01 Quote
nishnash wrote:
if ur question is should i use clips or no then go with platforms for fun and clips for racing and training

ya well for me i usualy use clips for tracks that im do not havve to take my feet of much. then flats for tracks that are more tech and i have to put a foot down every once and a while.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
dleclerc wrote:
...if you are riding lots of skinnies and stuff and now you're going to be bailing it's nice to be able to jump of the bike, instill confidence and take a foot off the pedal to help with balance...

I'm as strong of a devotee to clip-in as you'll find, yet even I won't ride skinnies and such without platforms! As you said, there's a huge psychological benefit to being able to get off a pedal "RIGHT NOW", as opposed to "pretty quickly" with clip-in pedals.

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 7:37 Quote
Personally I switch back and forth all the time.

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 12:25 Quote
I run 50/50 and 510 shoes for freeriding but only SPD's for racing. The ability to sprint and spin is easier with SPD,s and you do not have to worry about your foot coming off the pedal in the rough sections. The more your feet are on the pedals the better control you have and more confidence. In racing it comes down to seconds and any advantage you have helps.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 0:49 Quote
bigquotesBuddy you wanna save your self the go buy the 5050xx and the buy 5 10 shoes, Sam Hill and Nathan Rennie both use 5 10 shoes and they're so tackey that its like you cliped in but if you mess up a landing then your bike wont come with you.

Have you tried clips? I'm betting that flats aren't going to give you nearly the same pedaling ability, no matter your setup.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 0:56 Quote
Don't most of the pros use spd's for racing but most switch back to flats during the off season?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012271
Mobile Version of Website