Powered by Outside

The mountain biking quick question thread part 3

PB Forum :: Downhill
The mountain biking quick question thread part 3
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:32 Quote
Freestyle31 wrote:
also, i want to know if i can put a new rear shock on my bike as well, the one i have has very little travel on it, or a tip to give it more travel, ive moved the adjustment knob thing and now the spring is too short to reach, so it just slides up and down the shock or piston thing..idk i need help, i just want lots of travel, if it helps, it's printed 750 lb on the spring.. ill put a post or a link with pics

gotta know what bike. Sounds like the spring is too stiff for you though.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
the bike is a kawasaki somthing, idk what it is but its a cheaper bike, but good frame, and also, do i need disc brakes on the back for just easy downhill riding i do more dj and park but im just trying it out, do you think i should just save the money? the rim brake is amazing from my opinion.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:45 Quote
I hope youre kidding. Not to be mean, but if youre worried about suspension quality, you need to be looking at something much better than that bike. Increasing travel will be extremely unsafe on that.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
its alright, i get it a lot..The frame is actually really good, the shocks im getting are only going to cost me 20$ cause there missing the top crown..But it's just for now till i get some more room and get a job but i want somthing for now..so yeah, i guess i dont really need rear shock upgrade. But ok thanks.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:51 Quote
and also, what would be a good downhill bike, im not doing anything really hardcore, i just want a fully, idc if its triple t or not, but whats a good bike that i can get under 700$ used or new, im a small rider at 115 lb, 5' 3''

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:51 Quote
Freestyle31 wrote:
its alright, i get it a lot..The frame is actually really good, the shocks im getting are only going to cost me 20$ cause there missing the top crown..But it's just for now till i get some more room and get a job but i want somthing for now..so yeah, i guess i dont really need rear shock upgrade. But ok thanks.

I dont know how you can say the frame is great. Have you done finite element analysis on it? Ultrasonic wall testing? Anything to make you think the bigass fork on it isnt going to rip the headtube off?!?! Dont do it. Save the 20$ and take a girl to the movies. At least its unlikely that situation would kill you, whereas your plan is the opposite.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 21:57 Quote
ok, thanks for the help, I guess I don't really know much about mountain biking so yeah, if you have any idea what a good bike for me would be lemme know if you could, I was looking at a Kona Stinky JR, idk what year, any suggestions would be great, and thanks for all your help, and saving me my money Smile

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 22:06 Quote
Freestyle31 wrote:
Ok I think this is my last question for now, but uhh, im about 5'3'' my dads like 5'6'' so im just wondering will i be fine with 24 inch wheels? im pretty small so ya..

Depends on what you wanna ride. If you ride street, you should be fine. But you will notice a big difference with 26 wheels on the trail, especially with rock gardens. 5' 3" would be either a small or a medium frame in a 26, depending on the bike.

Posted: Aug 13, 2009 at 22:17 Quote
Ok, so what would a Kona stinky JR be like for me? Im still not doing anything rough

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 12:05 Quote
Freestyle31 wrote:
Ok, so what would a Kona stinky JR be like for me? Im still not doing anything rough

The Stinky JR is like a kid's version of their Stinky freeride bike (24" wheels and less suspension). I've never ridden a 24" freeride bike, but I'd think that they would be similar to the adult version. If you're into freeride/DH and do a lot of drops and things that would be rough on the bike, this would probably be a good choice. But don't just go out and buy it because you read this post. Do some research and ask around to find out if this is the bike you really want.

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
right so should i get a short, or long crown?
photo

they will both fit, but in case i get another frame with longer headtube, it might not fit then... thanks Smile

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
I'm thinking about getting Race Face Atlas FR cranks and bars for my Wilson. I've heard good things about them so far, but does anyone know of any issues with them?

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
right so should i get a short, or long crown?
photo

they will both fit, but in case i get another frame with longer headtube, it might not fit then... thanks Smile

Your going to need drop crowns if thats what you mean?

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
yeah Smile not sure if should get a short less than 1 inch drop, or a 2 inch drop crown

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 at 13:43 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
yeah Smile not sure if should get a short less than 1 inch drop, or a 2 inch drop crown
well that bike in the pic id use the 1 inch the others would likely dent your top tube.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016358
Mobile Version of Website