Powered by Outside

Hey, can you get a speeding ticket on a bike?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Hey, can you get a speeding ticket on a bike?
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 3:39 Quote
freddiehunter wrote:
i no sumone who made one of thows 30mph signes light up they only do that if ur going about 30

Cool!

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 4:15 Quote
em-j wrote:
Mitchen wrote:
Yeah I think in Australia they have sidewalk speed limits for bike riders but I'm not sure if you can get a ticket for it.
I thought it was illegal to ride on the footpath unless you're under twelve or something?
I have a friend who was fined for riding under the influence of alcohol lol They only realised he was drunk after he rode straight into a fence.
Thats funny - I got stopped at night, no lights and very drunk riding back from a party, I dont do that kind of thing now ;-)

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 4:16 Quote
chrisCRACK wrote:
Well, it's pretty hard to recieve one without a license or registration.

here they are trying to get that to happen, you have to take driving lessons for bikes, and have registry, even a lincense plate Facepalm i hope they dont go forward with this lol

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 4:28 Quote
hah the cops only pulled my over because I was going about 35 km/h, and the limit on sidewalks is 27 km/h Razz

Also the cops pulled me over because I was doing a manual down a road, they told me to have both wheels on the ground Razz

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 4:36 Quote
i got pulled for riding a bike down a highway that goes down a hill in wellington nz and i was riding on the road and there was a small footpath on the side with heaps of broken glass etc... the copper just flashed his lights behind me so i stopped and he asked if i had brakes etc. and told me i was an idiot for not wearing a helmet, and i just went along with it pretending to be sorry and he ended up giving me a ride the rest of the way into the town Smile

other times, i find saying that your riding your bike with no lights and no helmet home etc. because your gf dumped you and you got kicked out of her house and its your only way home works every time Big Grin

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 6:50 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
chrisCRACK wrote:
Well, it's pretty hard to recieve one without a license or registration.

here they are trying to get that to happen, you have to take driving lessons for bikes, and have registry, even a lincense plate Facepalm i hope they dont go forward with this lol
That would be ridiculous!! In the UK its against the law not to have a bell on your bike, seriously but no one takes any notice of it, all the shops have to sell there bikes with a bell on too.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 7:13 Quote
In the U.K. at least no you cannot get a speeding ticket as you have no license or a speedometer if you contested it would not hold up in court. The only way you can be prosecuted is to recieve (first time) a caution for cycling recklessly.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 8:41 Quote
Ive nearly been given a ticket for "speeding" on my skate board haha

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
yea i got a speeding ticket, i was trying to catch a bus and i guess your not suppose to have bikes on the curb and i was riding on the curb, stupiest law i f*cking know, the cop gave me a ticket and i went to court and got 35 community service hours.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
bubabmx24 wrote:
yea i got a speeding ticket, i was trying to catch a bus and i guess your not suppose to have bikes on the curb and i was riding on the curb, stupiest law i f*cking know, the cop gave me a ticket and i went to court and got 35 community service hours.
e your'e kidding?? Blank Stare

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 15:28 Quote
you can
but there easy to get out of

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 15:37 Quote
I was never stopped for speeding although I have been yelled at by cops doing radar telling me to slow down. I have however been stopped and warned for biking under the influence, not my proudest moment, but it was hella funny being flashed down by the cops and then having them tell me that I had to walk my bike home.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 15:38 Quote
m47h13u wrote:
I was never stopped for speeding although I have been yelled at by cops doing radar telling me to slow down. I have however been stopped and warned for biking under the influence, not my proudest moment, but it was hella funny being flashed down by the cops and then having them tell me that I had to walk my bike home.

lol in the UK its not illegal to drink nd bike lol
law states operate a motor vehichle or somthing
dunno about canada but id assume the same

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 15:51 Quote
m47h13u wrote:
Ha ha thats what they said to me!

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 16:23 Quote
rossgirvan wrote:
In the U.K. at least no you cannot get a speeding ticket as you have no license or a speedometer if you contested it would not hold up in court. The only way you can be prosecuted is to recieve (first time) a caution for cycling recklessly.
I wish it was the same here, they've brought in this law now where police are allowed to estimate your speed. They claim that as they have training to judge the speed of a vehicle moving away from them that it's a perfectly justifiable way to prosecute someone.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014636
Mobile Version of Website