Powered by Outside

Should I drink protein shakes?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Should I drink protein shakes?
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
i wouldnt. just let yourself grow a bit dude. you'll get heavier as time goes on, you're probably just growing, but keeping the same weight. im 5'10 140lbs, and im not freakin out yet. i eat healthy, and i'll be heavier in not too long. Razz

Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 11:26 Quote
1st, Im gonna give you a little background on why you need shakes.

After a workout your body needs a quick burst of protein to repair the micro tears in the muscle fibers you make while working out, The repairing of the muscle fibers are how you build up muscle, A whey Isolate is a good thing to have for Post workout as it is a more pure from of protein compared to a whey complex or a whey blend which are stored in the body for sustained useage.

How you should take protein is 1 gram of protein per every 2 pounds of mass.

so If you weigh 150 pounds you should have 75g of protein

If you want a good tasting protein I would get Syntrax Nectar, Its a Whey Isolate and its what im currently using. Best tasting, Best mixing protein i have ever had.

Also, If your going to start working out you will need Casein Protein, Which is found in cottage cheese. Its a protein which is sustained in the body for longer periods of time 8-10 hours. This is a good thing to have before bed because it keeps you full until the morning, allows you to sleep better and helps repair your muscles throughout the night. If your not a fan of the brine taste with regular cottage cheese (which i hate) try dry cottage cheese.

Taking a protein along side a simple carb like dextrose is beneficial but not necessary, It alows the protein to absorb quicker But if you take a Whey Isolate you wont need it because an Isolate is instant absorption.

Here are the things you will need/ powders that taste good:
Syntrax Nectar:
-http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3512.html
-http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3672.html

-The whole line up can be found here and ordered online here - http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/syntrax.html They start on the 5th item down and end on the 12th item. By far the best protein ive had.

Shaker Cup:
-You can get normal ones, Chilled ones or ones with a blender in it.
http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product3634.html
the one i posted is a chilled one I have one but any shaker cup will work.

Edit: I read the post above me and i would like to correct him. Protein is a thing necessary for the body to grow, if hes not having enough protein from his daily diet then he should have shakes and it is a good idea to have them.

Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 11:36 Quote
^ Depends what 'not enough' is. There is very little point in telling a 15-year-old to bulk up. An active kid will be getting enough protein if he eats well. I'd be surprised if the stats you've quoted aren't for full-grown men with a far greater density of muscle mass than a kid, hence more of it in a smaller space. A normal balanced diet will give you ample protein if you're doing anything less than several hours in the gym every day.

I stick to what I said. You do not need shakes when you're 15.

Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 11:58 Quote
harriieee wrote:
^ Depends what 'not enough' is. There is very little point in telling a 15-year-old to bulk up. An active kid will be getting enough protein if he eats well. I'd be surprised if the stats you've quoted aren't for full-grown men with a far greater density of muscle mass than a kid, hence more of it in a smaller space. A normal balanced diet will give you ample protein if you're doing anything less than several hours in the gym every day.

I stick to what I said. You do not need shakes when you're 15.

Not enough is anything less than what your body needs during a day.

Anything lower than what the conversion comes out to is not enough and will not properly sustain good muscle growth, whether or not the person is training.

Taking protein doesnt harm you in any way.

Also, theres no diffrence in the density. theres a larger amount you could say on a fully grown person but thats not always the case... It all depends on the muscle growth through puberty which can be helped out with the addition of protein to allow the muscle to repair.

It would be a better thing for him to take protein than not.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 16:16 Quote
snaple wrote:
Well there not dangerous, shouldn't see why not, i know someone who drinks 1 a day and is pretty ripped. Along with a balanced diet there perfectly safe.

If your young and still growing it can cause overreaction within the immune system
Liver dysfunction due to increased toxic residues Loss of bone density and your not still growing so it should be fine make sure you are not lifting too much as well because that could lead to skeletal, tendon and ligament damage if your bones have not stopped lengthening.

As long as you don't start the rockin' roids you should be ok!

just make sure there is no sucralose or sugar substitutes in the ingredients which can affect your health.. id go with an organic protien powder to be safe.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 16:21 Quote
p-sir wrote:
snaple wrote:
Well there not dangerous, shouldn't see why not, i know someone who drinks 1 a day and is pretty ripped. Along with a balanced diet there perfectly safe.

If your young and still growing it can cause overreaction within the immune system
Liver dysfunction due to increased toxic residues Loss of bone density and your not still growing so it should be fine make sure you are not lifting too much as well because that could lead to skeletal, tendon and ligament damage if your bones have not stopped lengthening.

As long as you don't start the rockin' roids you should be ok!

just make sure there is no sucralose or sugar substitutes in the ingredients which can affect your health.. id go with an organic protien powder to be safe.

dont worry about organic, Just read the label

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 at 1:52 Quote
I used to drink them and got super big and ripped and alot of ppl at school thought i was on roids hah!
i stopped working out and drinking them and then got fat for a while and then lost all the muscle and fat and im starting over, not sure if i wanna drink the protien shakes right now but have been thinking about it alot. i kinda wanna stay light and toned for racing and agility.

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 at 6:35 Quote
rippedsuperhero wrote:
I used to drink them and got super big and ripped and alot of ppl at school thought i was on roids hah!
i stopped working out and drinking them and then got fat for a while and then lost all the muscle and fat and im starting over, not sure if i wanna drink the protien shakes right now but have been thinking about it alot. i kinda wanna stay light and toned for racing and agility.

Im doubtful of super big. And Protein alone with working out will only give you normal amounts of mass. You dont get bigger quicker like if you were taking an anabolic or creatine because the protein neither increases the production of testosterone Nor does it pump your muscles with water to make them look larger.

a) If people thought you were on juice because you were taking protein they are dumb.
b) Im not totally sure what you mean by totally big and ripped, Because i know people who think because someone has abs that they are big and ripped.
c) Theres no way with the addition of a protein shake that you would gain large amounts of mass in a moderately short period of time.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 15:44 Quote
protien shakes are great to build muscle mas and strength but you have to keep taking them. once you stop taking them you will notice your strength go down. i am 16 also and i used to take protien then stopped and noticed for about a month after i stopped taking it i was a lot weaker. so its ok to take it but if you start you will have to keep taking it.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
mtbstar09 wrote:
protien shakes are great to build muscle mas and strength but you have to keep taking them. once you stop taking them you will notice your strength go down. i am 16 also and i used to take protien then stopped and noticed for about a month after i stopped taking it i was a lot weaker. so its ok to take it but if you start you will have to keep taking it.
This is incorrect. You are not going to get weaker if you stop intaking the protein. Your recovery time will probably be longer though once you quit taking it.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 16:10 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
rippedsuperhero wrote:

Im doubtful of super big. And Protein alone with working out will only give you normal amounts of mass. You dont get bigger quicker like if you were taking an anabolic or creatine because the protein neither increases the production of testosterone Nor does it pump your muscles with water to make them look larger.

a) If people thought you were on juice because you were taking protein they are dumb.
b) Im not totally sure what you mean by totally big and ripped, Because i know people who think because someone has abs that they are big and ripped.
c) Theres no way with the addition of a protein shake that you would gain large amounts of mass in a moderately short period of time.

ive seen this creatine stuff around. whats it do exactly??

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
It occurs naturally in the body, but only in very small amounts. You can gain weight super fast on it as supplements will massively up the levels in your muscles. It's actually up for debate whether the exponential mass increases involved with taking creatine are down to actual muscular hypertrophy or just excessive water retention in muscles.... any performance bonus it gives could basically be a placebo.

My advice would be to only use if you're serious (and I mean, serious) about a certain sport, and even then go with some serious physio advice on whether to do it and how much to do. Don't go it alone just in a half-hearted attempt to get buff, it's playing with fire... this ain't protein.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 16:19 Quote
^^^^^ Here's a good link that is about creatine.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112484941

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
fastasfit wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
rippedsuperhero wrote:

i take purpel k wich is a buffer creatine
Your stomach contains hydrochloric acid that has a pH between 1 and 2. In this acidic environment, other creatines break down into creatinine (kree-AT-ah-neen) – a useless waste product.

Because other creatines break down in stomach acids, mega-dosing is common, but only causes more problems because it makes you bloated and shuts down your creatine transporters (Crt), making you absorb less creatine – not more.

PURPLE•K is the King of Creatine because it’s pH correct creatine that utilizes an advanced pH correct buffer that prevents creatine breakdown in stomach acids. As a result, 100% of PURPLE•K is delivered intact to your muscles, making it highly bio-available and ensuring real strength gains at a fraction of the serving size

ive seen this creatine stuff around. whats it do exactly??

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
but dont forget when your on creatine drink ALOT of water

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023626
Mobile Version of Website