Powered by Outside

All-Mountain Rim Recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All-Mountain Rim Recommendations
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
neex wrote:
dh-pete wrote:
Mavic's crossline wheelset is brilliant value for money. And rather lightweight at the same time.

But if you want just the rims I'd say have a look over your riding style. If you're a more uphill friendly AM rider, then the 719 or 819(tubeless compatible) rims are perfect. But if you push it a little on the downhills and are a little heavier on equipment, the 721 is more of a competitor.

I built up Mavic 819s with Hope Pro 2s and absolutely love them. They seem fine on DH as I bombed Porcupine Rim on them taking drops all the way down and they were straight as an arrow when I got back to the trail head. I highly suggest looking for a 20mm front hub as you will have a much more solid feel to the front end. I wouldn't shy away from the DT Swiss wheel sets as they make some of the best in the business (Although I have heard that the FR wheelsets lack a little to be desired from a weight to price/peformance standpoint. Either way, if you want a solid wheelset, have them built rather than spun out my a machine. You won't be sorry. I would buy another set of Mavic 819s tomorrow morning. I was very close to buying WTB's Laser Trail wheels also so you might want to look at them in addition to the Easton Havocs.

Smile

A.

The 819's on Hope pro 2's sounds like a really nice build. I had my head in the clouds for a second thinking that 590 grams for a rim (Mavic 721) was lightRolleyes . FYI It's going on a 30 lb. bike which gets used on XC trails to the Shore, so it's that balance between lightness and strength. Stronger and heavier than XC, lighter and slightly weaker than FR.

Neex I have a 25mm thru-axle on the front hub, qr on the back. The front is super stiff, and the fork is double crowned so it adds to the stiffness even more. On a side note, I noticed you were from St. Catharines so I can't help but ask: do you row?

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 at 19:22 Quote
WTB Dual Duty. Very strong but if I remember correctly they cost a little more.

Posted: Oct 3, 2009 at 1:02 Quote
bigquotesNeex I have a 25mm thru-axle on the front hub, qr on the back. The front is super stiff, and the fork is double crowned so it adds to the stiffness even more. On a side note, I noticed you were from St. Catharines so I can't help but ask: do you row?

No I don't row. My wife is from town originally and I am an import from the GTA. Lots of folks row here but I'm not one of them. Smile

A.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018948
Mobile Version of Website