Powered by Outside

PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success
Posted: Aug 21, 2013 at 18:38 Quote
cambrai1 wrote:
any tips on straight bike trades with no money involved, the distance between us is also too large to arrange a meetup,

Both ship, each pays their own shipping costs.

Posted: Aug 21, 2013 at 18:41 Quote
yeah we have agreed on that, what i am worried about is when i ship my bike he will not ship his in return and then he will just stop communicating with me, just wondering if there are any ways to get around/protect agianst this?

Posted: Jul 12, 2014 at 16:40 Quote
cambrai1 wrote:
yeah we have agreed on that, what i am worried about is when i ship my bike he will not ship his in return and then he will just stop communicating with me, just wondering if there are any ways to get around/protect agianst this?
I recently did a trade/shipping deal that went very well I'm glad to report. What I did was ask to be friends with him on Facebook so I can infiltrate his network and make sure he was who he said he was. He agreed and I found a small business owner/employer in a rad biking town.

My exact words were:
"Hey man can I friend you on fb so I know who's knees to break if you don't ship your half of the deal..." It was an easy transaction. If the person you are dealing with doesn't allow you to be a friend or follower on fb then honestly is he/she mountain biker enough to do a swap/each ship/trust? I don't think so. If their profile is sketchy and is limited in pictures of them has no other bike content, or has no friends, maybe not a person you want to deal with. If you find what I found, which is a trail tour guide in Rossland next time I visit there then you know the deal won't be as likely to go sideways...

Just my two bits.

FL
Posted: Aug 6, 2014 at 21:54 Quote
So I sold and shipped my bike to a guy in Ukraine and he just messaged me saying that the top tube was damaged but the packing material was not. Is this a known way of scamming somehow? It was a brand new front triangle that had maybe three rides on it and I went over the thing with a toothbrush! There was no way it was damaged when I shipped it!! I used plenty of foam and packing material to protect the frame in particular when boxing it up. THERE WAS NO EFFING DAMAGE!!!!!

Posted: Sep 24, 2014 at 9:00 Quote
I bought a wheel set from the buy and sell page. they were described as having no flat spots but unfortunately, when i received them I found two. I paid via paypal but foolishly paid as a gift payment. meaning i'm not covered. Is there any thing I can do? The seller has apologised but won't respond now i'm asking for a partial refund.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 12:09 Quote
So I have an add for my bike here on PinkBike and have opted -local pickup only- because I don't have paypal account and frankly don't want/ need one. Every time someone asks if i would ship it, I tell them I only sell it if he comes to me directly or if he is willing to pay me in advance via bank transfer (most people doesn't like that option, i wouldn't either). Now there is one dude from Georgia/ EU, who is considering the bank transfer in advance atm. My question is, what are options I'm being scamed here? If i receive the money on my account and i check it's there, is there any posibility this is a scam? Can he somehow retrieve the money? This dudes profile is fairly new, he joined PB on 4. august, no pictures, no videos, no posts. https://www.pinkbike.com/u/iwantdownhillbike/

Thanks for help.

Posted: Nov 28, 2014 at 19:17 Quote
I wouldn't do it from Canada to Georgia but you are presumably in Slovenia, I'm not sure about rules in your country. Sometimes giving bank info for deposit is similar to giving bank info for withdrawl minus your personal information which this guy may have a way of getting through your IP address.

I guess it depends on how bad you want to sell your bike. If you give him a deposit only account with nothing else in it tied to nothing important of yours like loans or credit cards then presumably the money arrives you withdrawl it and send him the bike. Then close the bank account and you have no chance of losing your information.

Posted: Dec 23, 2015 at 20:37 Quote
How do I post my bike for sale on here it's a free agent eluder 6061 aluminum frame race bike I'm asking $450 or best offer but can figure out how to post

Posted: Dec 24, 2015 at 8:50 Quote
Read your way through the instructions if you can't read then you should probably second think selling your bike.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 13:29 Quote
I'm asking for several pictures of a bike 8ish is that out of line?
Also asking for a paypal bill with a picture attached sent to me.
I really don't think I'm asking too much.

FL
Posted: May 28, 2016 at 11:45 Quote
Anyone know the scoop on "bike part deals"? Ordered some tires 8 days ago(Vancouver to Revy) and no response. PayPal payment has been accepted. Thought I'd see them by now or at least a tracking # or acknowledgement . Looks like a proper online site but maybe just the poorest communication of any

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 9:29 Quote
won-sean-animal-chin wrote:
Anyone know the scoop on "bike part deals"? Ordered some tires 8 days ago(Vancouver to Revy) and no response. PayPal payment has been accepted. Thought I'd see them by now or at least a tracking # or acknowledgement . Looks like a proper online site but maybe just the poorest communication of any

I found them very slow to respond in the past but I hadn't paid for anything so I wasn't stressed about the transaction. Do they have a phone number? Or direct contact email?

Social media negative vibes beat companies like them up really bad so you decide how to go forward but I would attempt to contact them further first.

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 9:54 Quote
erikwyattatmedotcom wrote:

I found them very slow to respond in the past but I hadn't paid for anything so I wasn't stressed about the transaction. Do they have a phone number? Or direct contact email?

Social media negative vibes beat companies like them up really bad so you decide how to go forward but I would attempt to contact them further first.
Sent them an email and no response. I originally sent them a msg on their buy n sell ad for the Michelin tires so I sent them a couple more messages with my order number. I can see that they checked the message but no response there either. I have paid by PayPal . They haven't taken the money yet but I've confirmed the transaction. In less than the time when I first put in the order I've bought and received 2 chan reaction orders. Maybe Trump has put up a wall between north Vancouver and revelstoke

FL
Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 0:43 Quote

Sent them an email and no response. I originally sent them a msg on their buy n sell ad for the Michelin tires so I sent them a couple more messages with my order number. I can see that they checked the message but no response there either. I have paid by PayPal . They haven't taken the money yet but I've confirmed the transaction. In less than the time when I first put in the order I've bought and received 2 chan reaction orders. Maybe Trump has put up a wall between north Vancouver and revelstoke

just checked my paypal account. he took the money out may 18. he hasn't responded to numerous emails or messages. his ads are still up with the link to his online site on his pinkbike homepage.. Anyone know if there is still pinkbike moderators following these possible scammers?

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 20:00 Quote

just checked my paypal account. he took the money out may 18. he hasn't responded to numerous emails or messages. his ads are still up with the link to his online site on his pinkbike homepage.. Anyone know if there is still pinkbike moderators following these possible scammers?

Might have to man up and call them. They have what appears to be a mostly legit business.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020121
Mobile Version of Website