AM bike that still goes down real nice

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
AM bike that still goes down real nice
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 20:18 Quote
Since everyone is posting their Specialized AM bike I thought I'd drop in my big brother to those two pitches.

photo

Eek mmmmmmm yes

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 2:15 Quote
Enduro is only good for non hardcore stuff, its light sure and best for light single track without any hits. race style stuff maybe. I wouldnt want to see what happens to that soft metal when you land side ways off a slope style hit, or what would happen to that neck Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 7:25 Quote
^^ Ive seen videos of people who huck they heck out of them they are actually quite strong.
Im actually looking into an 2010 Enduro Comp for next season maybe Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 7:34 Quote
BLaZZiN wrote:
Enduro is only good for non hardcore stuff, its light sure and best for light single track without any hits. race style stuff maybe. I wouldnt want to see what happens to that soft metal when you land side ways off a slope style hit, or what would happen to that neck Smile

If you zoom in on that photo, you might find spots of dirt and mud on the frame that I missed in cleaning it up for the photo shoot. It was dirty because I rode it on the North Shore (CBC, Corkscrew, Slash, Pingu, Team Pangor, to Old Buck) earlier that day.

Fragile? I think not.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 8:05 Quote
Giant Reign X1...it handles Highland just fine and pedals like a dream...

photo

Edit:

Also, I'm 6'2" 185lbs. I got the 18" medium frame and couldn't be happier. The price I paid was $2350 for new 2009. I really don't think you can find a complete bike with those kind of components for equal or less than that price for a new bike as capable as that one. 6.3" in the front and 6.7" in the rear, pedals extremely well (I keep up great with XCish riders and I can bomb through sections with more confidence than they can on their signifcantly lighter builds). The bike weighs about 39lbs, so it's that middle class weight.

The ONLY issue I've found with the bike is I'm considering getting 203mm brakes but the 180mm/160mm combo is working ok right now. You just have to have more confidence in some of the super steep downhill stuff as you won't be stopping even if you lock those brakes up. That or maybe I just ride too fast Smile

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
canadiandegelder wrote:
BLaZZiN wrote:

If you zoom in on that photo, you might find spots of dirt and mud on the frame that I missed in cleaning it up for the photo shoot. It was dirty because I rode it on the North Shore (CBC, Corkscrew, Slash, Pingu, Team Pangor, to Old Buck) earlier that day.

Fragile? I think not.

I was comparing the 2 metals that an Enduro and Pitch are made from, the Enduro is a lighter metal (race bred) but weaker and softer than the one used on a pitch (heavier but stronger alloy).

I am not saying an Enduro sucks i am just saying i trust the Pitch more for those occasions i land incorrectly..

Sorry OP didnt mean to start a dispute in your thread.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 11:03 Quote
PNWFreeride wrote:
^^ Ive seen videos of people who huck they heck out of them they are actually quite strong.
Im actually looking into an 2010 Enduro Comp for next season maybe Smile

Ya i have seen one too, he was hella smooth on 2 perfect trannies.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 13:24 Quote
ivester wrote:

photo

Edit:

Also, I'm 6'2" 185lbs. I got the 18" medium frame and couldn't be happier. The price I paid was $2350 for new 2009. I really don't think you can find a complete bike with those kind of components for equal or less than that price for a new bike as capable as that one. 6.3" in the front and 6.7" in the rear, pedals extremely well (I keep up great with XCish riders and I can bomb through sections with more confidence than they can on their signifcantly lighter builds). The bike weighs about 39lbs, so it's that middle class weight.

The ONLY issue I've found with the bike is I'm considering getting 203mm brakes but the 180mm/160mm combo is working ok right now. You just have to have more confidence in some of the super steep downhill stuff as you won't be stopping even if you lock those brakes up. That or maybe I just ride too fast Smile

yeah i'm already starting to save, but we'll see what happens, and what i can get my hands on.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 15:27 Quote
tyler-durden wrote:
ivester wrote:

photo

Edit:

yeah i'm already starting to save, but we'll see what happens, and what i can get my hands on.
$2350, I agree that was a gnarly deal.
I could of got an 08 new for $1950 but it was a large Confused

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 15:33 Quote
PNWFreeride wrote:
tyler-durden wrote:
ivester wrote:

photo

Edit:

$2350, I agree that was a gnarly deal.
I could of got an 08 new for $1950 but it was a large Confused

Yeah I took a good long look at the "All-Mountain" type bikes from specialized/trek which are the two more popular shop bikes around here and they just didn't have the right cost vs component answer for me. I also noticed the reviews of the Reign X1 were all fairly good, most of which reported a bike that can do anything, freeride/downhill/AM/XC ect...and they were right. Obviously I don't do full on DH riding but 6.3"/6.7" is more than enough to make the bike versatile for most any scenario you'll encounter short of drops bigger than 10'.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 16:05 Quote
a bike that i really like, and rides good, is the knolly delerium t 6.3 inches. heres a video of ross measures shedding on it

photo

photo

photo

Views: 8,609    Faves: 37    Comments: 7

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
Im not so shure it 'Climbs like an XC bike" but i would be shure that it decends well. Yea i also really like Delerium T's, Would of been really sick with a DHX AIR.
On a side note, Dose any one elese think that trail looks super fun?

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
Trek Remedy. END of discussion boy! Anybody that's ever felt trek suspension knows why. The air shock feels better than any coil shock i've ever ridden. Boy!

I am DEFinitely buying the 8 for next season.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 16:16 Quote
Not 2010
Maybe a 2010 Trek Scratch Air.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
Uh, why? 15mm QR, 150mm travel F&R? perfect! the scratch will NOT climb. It's a freeride bike.

Where this guy lives, it's a safe bet to say he's taking this thing no farther than Onterrible, and for blue mtn, this is the perfect bike! and when he's ripping xc, he can just rake down the front suspension, stiffen it up, and he's good to go. a scratch is mad overkill especially for xc. the slaack head angle wouldn't be fun.

edit: Nomad and 2010 Reign x0 are really good choices too. but seriously hombre, go to your local trek dealer, and just test ride one of their trek bikes. just bounce around on flat and experience how freakin' it is. after just bouncing up and down on a fuel ex for 2 minutes, my perspective about trek completely changed. BEST suspension I've ever ridden hands down. though i'm yet to ride one on a mountain. Confused

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022603
Mobile Version of Website