Powered by Outside

Are joytech hubs any good at all?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Are joytech hubs any good at all?
Posted: Feb 13, 2010 at 8:43 Quote
I could never ride one based off the name alone. I'm pretentious, I know.

Posted: Feb 13, 2010 at 8:47 Quote
sherbet wrote:
I could never ride one based off the name alone. I'm pretentious, I know.

Did you take a look at them though? The only ones worth looking at are their better MTN. Bikes

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 at 18:32 Quote
jamie12345 wrote:
sjv13 wrote:
jamie12345 wrote:
My friend had a felt chasm, and so i can tell you from his experience that those wheels are terrible, but I can tell you from my experience that it is better to ride a piece of crap for an extra few months to get something extra special in the end. Stick with them for now and get a custom built wheelset when yours break.
The Chasm and Pyre have differnet wheelsets.
But they still have joytech hubs to alex rims, most complete wheelsets suck, joytech hubs suck (my old one rearranged its ball bearings into 3 rows instead of one!) and almost all alex rims are fairly bad.
except they make most rims anyway hahaha

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 14:06 Quote
jamie12345 wrote:
But they still have joytech hubs to alex rims, most complete wheelsets suck, joytech hubs suck (my old one rearranged its ball bearings into 3 rows instead of one!) and almost all alex rims are fairly bad.

You crazy, mang.

Joytech hubs are basically Odyssey Hazards (Odyssey copied the Joytech cassette hub design).

Alex rims are freaking badass and a cheap alternative to more expensive "brand name" rims. If you ignore budget singlewall rims like the Y303, then most of their rims aren't bad at all.

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 at 14:47 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
jamie12345 wrote:

You crazy, mang.

Joytech hubs are basically Odyssey Hazards (Odyssey copied the Joytech cassette hub design).

Alex rims are freaking badass and a cheap alternative to more expensive "brand name" rims. If you ignore budget singlewall rims like the Y303, then most of their rims aren't bad at all.
Fair enough, everything joytech (sealed front hub) and alex rims (of the single and double walled variety) I have totally destroyed.

Posted: Nov 28, 2016 at 15:34 Quote
Haha you guys are weiners!! "Are joytech hubs any good?" You all say "oh so shit" "crap" - you do realise that joytech are the largest manufacturer of hubs in the industry! - re branded by so many companies! Chances are whatever hub you buy it is probably made by joytech!! Second- its the same as all bike parts you freakin morons! - its all made in Taiwan or China! Your paying for the name- you think these companies have their own little factories turning out bike parts??? No diprods it all comes from the same place! Hahaha laughing my ass off!!

Posted: Dec 17, 2016 at 20:28 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
Haha you guys are weiners!! "Are joytech hubs any good?" You all say "oh so shit" "crap" - you do realise that joytech are the largest manufacturer of hubs in the industry! - re branded by so many companies! Chances are whatever hub you buy it is probably made by joytech!! Second- its the same as all bike parts you freakin morons! - its all made in Taiwan or China! Your paying for the name- you think these companies have their own little factories turning out bike parts??? No diprods it all comes from the same place! Hahaha laughing my ass off!!

Dickhead over here speaks the truth. More or less doing a little research on any company's home page usually turns out distributors which in turn you can use them to find out distribution channels and manufacturing channels. From what I gather theres like 3 different JoyTech rear hub designs to license from or something.

https://issuu.com/joy-tech/docs/catalog_2014_joytech (page 15)

Posted: Dec 17, 2016 at 23:48 Quote
Thairishguy wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

Dickhead over here speaks the truth. More or less doing a little research on any company's home page usually turns out distributors which in turn you can use them to find out distribution channels and manufacturing channels. From what I gather theres like 3 different JoyTech rear hub designs to license from or something.

"Dickhead" haha - true- annnnnd true! ^^^

Posted: Dec 18, 2016 at 19:49 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
Thairishguy wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

Hahahaha I knew what you were talking about but I just needed to help support you with evidence.

Which is funny because this is some information that should be apparent to anyone whos been into BMX for at least a year or so. I've only been into bikes and BMX for less than 2 years yet this was some info that was pretty apparent to me for a long time. I found out about it while forum-lurking and reading about this guy needing the driver replaced for his odyssey hazard cassette, and someone with a similar issue suggested drivers for a few hubs that would fit into his cassette because they were "all based off the Joytech design". Then I read more and find out the Bone Deth PH48 rear hub is also bassed off the Joytech design, so I figure that they might be pretty decent to pretty good.....

That catalog up there was the first time I did any actual research into that subject at all. Pretty easy info to find by typing "Joytech hubs" into google search and not leaving the first page at all.

Posted: Dec 18, 2016 at 23:44 Quote
Thairishguy wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
Thairishguy wrote:

Hahahaha I knew what you were talking about but I just needed to help support you with evidence.

Which is funny because this is some information that should be apparent to anyone whos been into BMX for at least a year or so. I've only been into bikes and BMX for less than 2 years yet this was some info that was pretty apparent to me for a long time. I found out about it while forum-lurking and reading about this guy needing the driver replaced for his odyssey hazard cassette, and someone with a similar issue suggested drivers for a few hubs that would fit into his cassette because they were "all based off the Joytech design". Then I read more and find out the Bone Deth PH48 rear hub is also bassed off the Joytech design, so I figure that they might be pretty decent to pretty good.....

That catalog up there was the first time I did any actual research into that subject at all. Pretty easy info to find by typing "Joytech hubs" into google search and not leaving the first page at all.

Yeah, my rule on bikes- you can't fix em,don't ride em - and by fixing them you get to know parts well, we're they are made and who makes em.

But it's not limited to hubs! Cmon I mean you gotta be pretty naive to think the parts youre buying are superior because of a companies stamp- its all machined out of the same factories. Example- take a chris king headset, you can choose to pay 150$ for a 34mm external alloy sealed head set off him- or- get the exact same one in Ali baba for 13 bucks! I guarantee they'll last as long as each other...

That's the society we're living in...everybody is getting f*cked in the ass because they allow it. People can only charge what people are willing to pay!

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
Thairishguy wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

Yeah, my rule on bikes- you can't fix em,don't ride em - and by fixing them you get to know parts well, we're they are made and who makes em.

But it's not limited to hubs! Cmon I mean you gotta be pretty naive to think the parts youre buying are superior because of a companies stamp- its all machined out of the same factories. Example- take a chris king headset, you can choose to pay 150$ for a 34mm external alloy sealed head set off him- or- get the exact same one in Ali baba for 13 bucks! I guarantee they'll last as long as each other...

That's the society we're living in...everybody is getting f*cked in the ass because they allow it. People can only charge what people are willing to pay!
Yes I know grave dig. But Chris King headsets are made in America and bearing quality does matter. You aren't getting an unbranded king off alibaba.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
Rumor persists that NASA source bearings from Chris King as they're pretty much the last hyper high end bearing company in country. Have never had confirmation of this, but have heard it from sources for over a decade. CK bearings do not compare to normal ass alibaba bearings. Not a bit. Haven't seen anything other than King bearings last a decade of hard use and still spin like new.

Posted: Dec 17, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Rumor persists that NASA source bearings from Chris King as they're pretty much the last hyper high end bearing company in country. Have never had confirmation of this, but have heard it from sources for over a decade. CK bearings do not compare to normal ass alibaba bearings. Not a bit. Haven't seen anything other than King bearings last a decade of hard use and still spin like new.
the f*ck never heard the nasa thing. also bike wise specifically maybe, i think there are still a few other high end bearing makers left, but not sure if any produce or still produce stuff the bike industry can use. one bearing i do know gets used by nasa that isnt made by king is like 5k a bearing and about the size of a 20 inch rim.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016446
Mobile Version of Website