Powered by Outside

Who else thinks "energy" drinks should come with a health warning?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Who else thinks "energy" drinks should come with a health warning?
Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:17 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
I could easily get 5 reputable different sources of information on this subject but it doesn't matter. I also edited my post but you already hit the reply button, but you did not notice that, look in the post above mine that includes the definition.
Please do. It would be easier for me to work through the connections you are making if I knew where you were sourcing your information.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:17 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
I could easily get 5 reputable different sources of information on this subject but it doesn't matter. I also edited my post but you already hit the reply button, but you did not notice that, look in the post above mine that includes the definition.

In this case my use of the word palpitation was refering to the speeding up of the heart, that's why you confused what I thought was the definition with how I was using the word.

cool.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:19 Quote
iamanidiot wrote:
sakkalli1410 wrote:
they should come with a label saying how they arent a soft drink and shouldnt be consumed for the hell of it like coke or sumfink! so many ppl just drink them all day long and dont realsie how bad they are for you!
Yes, clearly you don't realise how bad they are for you.

Since they aren't.
well the ammount of sugar and caffine in each can would beg to differ.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:19 Quote
iamanidiot wrote:
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
Please do. It would be easier for me to work through the connections you are making if I knew where you were sourcing your information.

nah, i think in this case wikipedia is reliable enough. you have to draw the line somewhere. i think for the definition of a word, wiki is safe enough. it's when it comes to studies that you need to be really careful.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
sakkalli1410 wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:
sakkalli1410 wrote:
they should come with a label saying how they arent a soft drink and shouldnt be consumed for the hell of it like coke or sumfink! so many ppl just drink them all day long and dont realsie how bad they are for you!

Since they aren't.

Oh for goodness sake! they just keep coming! i'm not going to go into this again - please read the rest of the thread.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
sakkalli1410 wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:
sakkalli1410 wrote:

Since they aren't.
Read the rest of the thread, then when you've caught up comment. I'm not repeating myself for the nth time.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:
scrippsranchDJ wrote:

nah, i think in this case wikipedia is reliable enough. you have to draw the line somewhere. i think for the definition of a word, wiki is safe enough. it's when it comes to studies that you need to be really careful.
@imanidiot
I got some from Wiki. And if you go to the bottom of the page it often lists the references and sources, which are very reputable in this case.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:
scrippsranchDJ wrote:

The wiki entry for Ventricular Fibrillation was ridiculous - I had to find a site to dumb it down for me Big Grin

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
iamanidiot wrote:
The wiki entry for Ventricular Fibrillation was ridiculous - I had to find a site to dumb it down for me Big Grin

Yea that one is really confusing, I primarily used the page on palpitations. The info on how you die from caffein can be found on the caffeine page. Again look at the bottom of the pages for their sources of information, very reputable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpitation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote: "Ahh yes but they dont add in the other ingredient which are very important, for instance taurine increases the affect that caffeine on your body. So you can't really use that as evidence, because it might take less than 56 cans."
Yeah, and I thought about putting in a disclaimer about it only being caffiene, but I figured some of the more idiotic contributors to the thread would see that as an admission that the point about 56 cans was worthless, which it's not. It doesn't prove anything but it is an inicator.

scrippsranchDJ wrote: "And the point of talking about the palpitations is that the first thing you will experience when drinking energy drinks to your death. The palpitations occur more the frequently the more you drink, until the heart goes into a form of cardiac arrest. The signals that control the hearts beating become either too rapid or get scrambled, causing the heart to not function properly/shut down."
Except, it might be water poisoning which kicks in first, we don't know, which was the original point.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:

Yea that one is really confusing, I primarily used the page on palpitations. The info on how you die from caffein can be found on the caffeine page. Again look at the bottom of the pages for their sources of information, very reputable.
Ah very good, I see where the ventricular fibrillation thing comes into play. But also don't forget that the effects of the energy drink wears off with time, so you would have to drink those 56 cans all at once. I don't know how to factor in Taurine, and I think it would take more biology knowledge than I possess to, but I feel relatively safe in halfing that figure for a lethal dose in energy drink, that surely should accomodate? I don't know, but 28 cans is 14 litres. If you drank that all at once the water in it would kill you. 14 litres is more than any of the people who have died of water poisoning consumed.

edit: The real point is, I don't know, and more importantly, neither do you - so you should retract your comment about energy drinks killing you before water does.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
iamanidiot wrote:
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:

Ah very good, I see where the ventricular fibrillation thing comes into play. But also don't forget that the effects of the energy drink wears off with time, so you would have to drink those 56 cans all at once. I don't know how to factor in Taurine, and I think it would take more biology knowledge than I possess to, but I feel relatively safe in halfing that figure for a lethal dose in energy drink, that surely should accomodate? I don't know, but 28 cans is 14 litres. If you drank that all at once the water in it would kill you. 14 litres is more than any of the people who have died of water poisoning consumed.

i don't think you'd be safe with halfing - you have NO idea how the other ingredients effect it - you may need to reduce by a factor of 10 for all you know.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:42 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
i don't think you'd be safe with halfing - you have NO idea how the other ingredients effect it - you may need to reduce by a factor of 10 for all you know.
see edit.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
iamanidiot wrote:
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
iamanidiot wrote:

People have been hospitalized for severe caffeine intoxication by as little as 2 grams of caffeine. Probably in the form of caffeine pills but still that only amounts to 8 cans worth of energy drink caffeine, not including other ingredients, which may increase a persons reaction to it. It's easy to see why people with a weak heart(they may or may not be aware of their condition) and also happens to drink several energy drinks can suffer cardiac arrest. And also imanidiot it usually takes roughly 45 minutes for caffeine to be fully absorbed into the bloodstream, which could potentially fool somebody into drinking more than they bargained for.

With that said the warning I would expect to see on a can would read "Drink responsibley, persons sensitive to caffeine or with pre exisiting heart condition should ask doctor before consuming". It's not that the general public are all in danger if they drink one, but there are people who could potentially die by an amount lower than the lethal dosage. That is all. I actually quite enjoy energy drinks myself and don't find them particularly unhealthy.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
With that said the warning I would expect to see on a can would read "Drink responsibley, persons sensitive to caffeine or with pre exisiting heart condition should ask doctor before consuming".
The Monster can I have in front of me here reads: "Not recommended for children, pregnant or breastfeeding women, or people sensitive to caffeine."
More than adequate.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013590
Mobile Version of Website