Powered by Outside

The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 10:21 Quote
In the early to mid 90's on the xc scene we ran really long stems, high saddle , narrow bars on bikes with geo modeled after roadie frames, somehow was able to shred these things in all mountain situations cause thats what xc racing in the rocky mountains was, climbing and descending mountains, I think the progressive geo of todays hardtails is just as confused as back then, harder to climb but more fun and safer to descend on.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 10:53 Quote
I have found from bikes I've ridden that I prefer a 50-60mm stem as opposed to a super short stem. Short stem made the handling too twitchy for my liking on a bike with a slacker HA than my own.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 10:55 Quote
slaker wrote:
In the early to mid 90's on the xc scene we ran really long stems, high saddle , narrow bars on bikes with geo modeled after roadie frames, somehow was able to shred these things in all mountain situations cause thats what xc racing in the rocky mountains was, climbing and descending mountains, I think the progressive geo of todays hardtails is just as confused as back then, harder to climb but more fun and safer to descend on.

I don't know, I think having the bike biased towards the fun, technical, dangerous, (arguably) the best parts of mountain biking as opposed to the necessary evil of climbing makes far more sense than the opposite. You can't have it all (yet). For years people felt like they needed a bike that with all sorts of climbing prowess, but after a while you can figure your way up most climbs with a more aggressive bike and it's a worthy trade-off for all the fun going down and off stuff. The only people who should really care about climbing are racers and there just aren't that many xc racers, let alone competitive ones.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
When I look back to the early 90s when I was running a 150mm stem, 550mm bars and bar ends I wonder how the f*ck I ever managed to ride down anything! Razz 50mm max for me nowadays.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 12:11 Quote
We have this one technical switchback on the local trails that a lot of people mess up as it's awkward and kinda steep. I had never ridden it on anything less than a 120mm fork 69ish head angle. Converted the bike to a rigid fork and came into the turn at speed and it was scary. Long live contemporary geo and front suspension!

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
JesseE wrote:
slaker wrote:

I don't know, I think having the bike biased towards the fun, technical, dangerous, (arguably) the best parts of mountain biking as opposed to the necessary evil of climbing makes far more sense than the opposite. You can't have it all (yet). For years people felt like they needed a bike that with all sorts of climbing prowess, but after a while you can figure your way up most climbs with a more aggressive bike and it's a worthy trade-off for all the fun going down and off stuff. The only people who should really care about climbing are racers and there just aren't that many xc racers, let alone competitive ones.

haha dude there are far more people out there on bicycles who get scared going down a straight trail at anymore than 15mph. If you think the market is somehow dominated by "fun having" riders, you're delirious.

I say that probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% of all mountain bikes out there, cheap, expensive, whatever, have stems longer than 70mm.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 14:05 Quote
PHeller wrote:
JesseE wrote:
slaker wrote:

haha dude there are far more people out there on bicycles who get scared going down a straight trail at anymore than 15mph. If you think the market is somehow dominated by "fun having" riders, you're delirious.

I say that probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 95% of all mountain bikes out there, cheap, expensive, whatever, have stems longer than 70mm.

Not on my trails. Yeah, there are lots of long stems laying around, but it's just cause a lot of riders don't buy bikes that often. When they do, I think most will go for a "funner" bike over a xc performance bike. Giant Trance has a 50mm stem.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 14:07 Quote
I mean if we're talking newer bikes, than sure, the industry is moving away from longer stems as a whole, even XC bikes today have shorter stems.

That being said I know a guy who bought a too-short 2016 Epic with a huge post and 100mm tiller. I thought it was a bad choice, but he wanted the bike the pros ride, and that to him meant a huge stem.

Also, I notice you've had a Titanium RSD Sergeant - that's my dream bike currently!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 20:46 Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfOvlM0Bgmb/

I hope somebody will edit this

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 23:47 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfOvlM0Bgmb/

I hope somebody will edit this

photo

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 1:17 Quote
metaam wrote:
When I look back to the early 90s when I was running a 150mm stem, 550mm bars and bar ends I wonder how the f*ck I ever managed to ride down anything! Razz 50mm max for me nowadays.
we managed because there was nothing else available.............1.95 tyres as well Wink

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 9:12 Quote
mayo-22 wrote:
photo

Looks like Mayo needs to be sent to Alcaspaz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026286
Mobile Version of Website