Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 7:13 Quote
philiphall wrote:
I don't really know. I've only just recently got into mountain biking and my current drive train is SLX (which I like) but since I haven't had lots of experience it's hard to say. I've heard good and bad things about GX Eagle, some people say XT is better.
Philip

Srams high end stuff is nice but GX and NX is trash. I would get the 17 and, like chrisbalich said, use the 450 to upgrade stuff. Nice stem and carbon bars. I personally would leave the brakes and get an xtr cassette (a lot of weight savings can come from upgrading your low level cassette), and maybe some xtr pedals.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
Is GX that bad? I've heard lots of people that like it. I really love the 500% range offered by GX, which tempts me to go with that over XT 1x11, but of course if GX is not good quality I'll rethink this.
Philip

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
philiphall wrote:
I don't really know. I've only just recently got into mountain biking and my current drive train is SLX (which I like) but since I haven't had lots of experience it's hard to say. I've heard good and bad things about GX Eagle, some people say XT is better.
Philip
GX feels good, see which one is newer and the condition of each

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
philiphall wrote:
Is GX that bad? I've heard lots of people that like it. I really love the 500% range offered by GX, which tempts me to go with that over XT 1x11, but of course if GX is not good quality I'll rethink this.
Philip
GX is ok. If you're still cutting your teeth, you probably won't have strong feelings either way. Personally, I prefer Shimano drivetrains, but SRAM stuff isn't exactly sitting on shelves. You can always upgrade the shifter/derailleur later, but the cassettes are pretty spicy. If you have the time, go down to a LBS and ride a few bikes and shift them. SLX & XT feel the same to me, but one is lighter. It's my understanding there's more disparity between the shifting of the lower and higher models of SRAM. (e.g. GX vs XX1)
I haven't looked into it in a year or two, but Shimano brakes use mineral oil as fluid and SRAM uses DOT brake fluid...or they did. That's something else to consider. Both will ruin your pads if you spill/leak....but mineral oil won't ruin your paint.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
I just think the 500% range is pretty cool. I have a bit of a commute to my trails (10 km each way, probably) so running a larger front gear would probably be very nice. Can't really do that with the XT 1x11.
Philip

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
philiphall wrote:
I just think the 500% range is pretty cool. I have a bit of a commute to my trails (10 km each way, probably) so running a larger front gear would probably be very nice. Can't really do that with the XT 1x11.
Philip
Derailleur makes almost no difference in feel when it comes to high end components. It’s all about the shifter as to how it feels. GX is crisp, I’ve ran XT shifters but never derailleur. Shifter are definitely more mute and soft than the GX. It comes down to personal preference

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
Ok, that's fine. I think I'd like both because I'm a relative beginner and haven't had a lot of experience with the two brands (SRAM and Shimano). I'll probably end up going with the 2018 model with GX Eagle if it shifts well when I try it out.
Philip

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 0:06 Quote
philiphall wrote:
Ok, that's fine. I think I'd like both because I'm a relative beginner and haven't had a lot of experience with the two brands (SRAM and Shimano). I'll probably end up going with the 2018 model with GX Eagle if it shifts well when I try it out.
Philip
I’ve used GX and it is great. I’m running XT and would def prefer to be on GX. Shifts fine, more range and lighter cassette than XT. Every review I’ve read says all the Eagle stuff shifts pretty much the same, regardless of if it’s NX or XO1. The difference is in the weight of components but even then I think GX is resonably light (the NX cassette is a different story.

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
Hi irck,
Thanks for your insight! I'm planning on going with the 2018 model with GX Eagle so I hoping everything works out!
Philip

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
This new Marzocchi coil is of interest to me. I replaced my DPS with a Super Deluxe on my 17 Trance and I doubt any shock would give much better performance, but I go nuts in the winter and replace biking with consumerism ...

So, I was pondering buying the Marz coil in a 185x55 (as opposed to the stock 52.5). It wouldn't cost me too much, as I would be able to sell the Super Deluxe.

What geo changes would this cause? I've already overforked it with a 160.

My thinking is that the extra travel would be nice at the bike park and I like the thought of less maintenance. My Trance is basically a second bike for trips out west, to Quebec, and to go to Blue Mountain. I'm not so concerned about the bike being less poppy as I have an Anthem SX that I use for most of my riding (such a fun bike). I realize I should just get a Reign, but I have a Trance and I do love it.

Any thoughts? I'm happy for dissenting opinions, such as "Get off the internet!", "Save your money!", and "It'll make your bike worse for this reason ...".

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
This new Marzocchi coil is of interest to me. I replaced my DPS with a Super Deluxe on my 17 Trance and I doubt any shock would give much better performance, but I go nuts in the winter and replace biking with consumerism ...

So, I was pondering buying the Marz coil in a 185x55 (as opposed to the stock 52.5). It wouldn't cost me too much, as I would be able to sell the Super Deluxe.

What geo changes would this cause? I've already overforked it with a 160.

My thinking is that the extra travel would be nice at the bike park and I like the thought of less maintenance. My Trance is basically a second bike for trips out west, to Quebec, and to go to Blue Mountain. I'm not so concerned about the bike being less poppy as I have an Anthem SX that I use for most of my riding (such a fun bike). I realize I should just get a Reign, but I have a Trance and I do love it.

Any thoughts? I'm happy for dissenting opinions, such as "Get off the internet!", "Save your money!", and "It'll make your bike worse for this reason ...".

Increasing shock stroke and have no effect on geometry. By increasing a shock stroke you make get bottom out deeper in its travel. You could set it up with the same effective sag as it had a 52.5 MM stroke but you would get a little bit extra forgiveness on the big hits.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
Here’s a question...

If I found a 57mm stroke version of the same shock I already have, but with a different tune, could I swap bits over between the two so I end up with the correct tune in the longer one?

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
DanVV wrote:
Here’s a question...

If I found a 57mm stroke version of the same shock I already have, but with a different tune, could I swap bits over between the two so I end up with the correct tune in the longer one?

What model of trance? Pre 2017 of 2017+. Most likely a pre 2017 as the 2017+ use metric trunnion shocks. Is the eye2eye the same and what is the current shock's stroke? The internals could be swapped over. If they can't be it will work if you're not too picky about suspension.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
It’s a 2018, so 185 x 51 (or is it 52?) trunnion mount as standard. Like I say, I’ve seen a 185 x 57 version of the same shock but it’s a different tune.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
I don't think anyone makes a 185x57, but Norco and Evil make a bike with 185x55, so you'll find shocks in that size used online.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.127051
Mobile Version of Website