Powered by Outside

How To Paint Your Rims!! (PICS STEP BY STEP)

PB Forum :: Tutorials
How To Paint Your Rims!! (PICS STEP BY STEP)
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 13:27 Quote
haha its 11C here!

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 14:27 Quote
FallingEqualsTrying wrote:
lol yea im painting my white rims black, goin well so far, but then it snnowed and its cold so I dont wanna go out and put on the clear cout in -7 weather, might mess with the way it'll dry
it'll mess with a lot of things, only paint at room temp

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 14:28 Quote
Do I have to take the paint off my current rims before painting them?

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 14:31 Quote
Norcorider65 wrote:
Not completely, but you'll need to get 120 grit sand paper and go over them a couple times taking off the clear coat, and roughening it up so your new paint can stick better

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 14:31 Quote
Norcorider65 wrote:
don't have to no, but you will need to make sure it has tooth for adhesion of new paint ie sanding it with 180 for prime 360 for paint

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 14:56 Quote
WhT I might do is sand it lightly then put a primer on it then spray it with wihte paint

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 16:48 Quote
Norcorider65 wrote:
WhT I might do is sand it lightly then put a primer on it then spray it with wihte paint
sand it lightly? U wanna make sure u cover everywhere with 180grit paper, if you use any coarser it will show through

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 17:10 Quote
motrvatd wrote:
Norcorider65 wrote:
sand it lightly? U wanna make sure u cover everywhere with 180grit paper, if you use any coarser it will show through

Yeah sounds good. But if I just get the paint of with at steel wool and use a primer wound't the paint stick anyways?

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 19:08 Quote
Norcorider65 wrote:
motrvatd wrote:
Norcorider65 wrote:

Yeah sounds good. But if I just get the paint of with at steel wool and use a primer wound't the paint stick anyways?
i'd use a paint stripper instead of steel wool, quicker and cleaner results

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 21:51 Quote
motrvatd wrote:
Norcorider65 wrote:
motrvatd wrote:

whats paint stripper? its it a liquid?

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 4:19 Quote
Norcorider65 wrote:
motrvatd wrote:
Norcorider65 wrote:

whats paint stripper? its it a liquid?
yup

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 at 15:51 Quote
I'd use rustoleum spray paint
CoreyMarshall wrote:
waterfall99 wrote:
MOD's you may want to sticky this.

Hey, ive seen many different people asking this so id make a threat about how I painted mine. Heres Step By Step on how I did it. These are just guidelines ive made, they do not have to be followed exactly, there are many ways of doing this! I didn't take apart my rim during this process, ill show you what to do so there is hardly no prep before the fun begins.

Supplies:
1 can of spraypaint. (your color choice)
1 can of clearcoat.
string (to hang your rim)
nail polish remover (to assist in removing your stickers)

Pre Step: Paint! Go to your local hardware store, id suggest purchasing a matt paint, because it sticks better then glossy paint. If you want a glossy final project make sure you purchase a gloss clear coat.

Step 1: Take any stickers off your rim so you are left with just the basic rim. To take off the stickers, I suggest using nail polish remover, just pour some on a cloth, and wipe it on and around the sticky crap left from the sticker, then push it into a big gooey pile and pull it off. Should come off in a clump.

photo

photo

Step 2: Tape off all spokes using masking tape, TIP: You don't need to tape the entire spoke, just from the nipple up to around the middle or 3/4 of the spoke.
Aswell, do a final wipe of the rim with a damp cloth to take off anything that may be left on the rim.

photo

Step 3: find a well ventilated area where you can hang a piece of string, stick it through the valve hole in your rim, and tie it up.
Make sure you have the rim centered around middle chest to shoulder hight for optimal spraying. Be carefull, make sure you have a tarp or an old blanket around your spraying direction as tiny spray paint particals will cover the direction you are spraying in as all the paint will not directly hit the rim.

photo

Step 4: START SPRAYING!! Make sure you do light coats! The smaller the coats, the better your rim will turn out. Many make this mistake and cover the whole rim in paint on the 1st coat! Your rim shouldn't be completely covered in your new color within the 1st 4-5 coats! There are many advantages to spraying lightly besides heavy coats. Firstly, light coats dry faster, so you can do a coat every 15-30 minutes. Light coats allow the paint to stick much better, allowing for a longer lasting job. Here is my finished rim drying up.

photo

Step 5: Clear coat! You got your choice between gloss or matt. Your choice, I used gloss but its entirely up to you. Don't have any pictures of this, it wouldn't show much as it only changes the "shine" of the rim. Clear coat is an important step, it basically hardens the paint and makes it last alot longer. Make sure you wait atlease 2 days before clearcoating your final product because the paint must fully cure before the clearcoat will work successfully. If you don't your paint will wrinkle and chip off eaisly.

My Final words are, spray carefully, remember, light even coats! But most of all Have fun! Painting rims and many bike parts can become quite a hobby. Since my front rim, I have painted the back rim, my bars and my stem, its easy to do, just follow the steps. Thanks for checking my thread and I hope it helps you guys out.
is there any specific type of paint to use?

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 2:31 Quote
I am not quite finshed yet becuase i stil have totdo the clear coat and all but ya thanks for hte idea
cheers[/Quote]

Salute dude can you tell me your processFab

Posted: May 20, 2011 at 9:18 Quote
Nice tutorial, but you should update it with all the improvements (the good ones) suggested in the thread Wink .

Here are my rims (used to be black) :
photo
photo

- Cleaned off the stickers with warm water and patience,
- 3/4 coats of Krylon "Blue Ocean Breeze" 15 minutes between coats,
- 3/4 coats of Krylon "Acrylic Crystal Clear Satin", 15 minutes between coats.

-> I did not sand beforehand but I wish I did, I've already chip a small spot.
-> It is important to paint the edge of the rims as well, even a bit inside so it won't chip when manipulating the tire or w/ever else.
-> My taping job was shit on the first rim (the 24") so I ended up painting the spokes/hub as well, which is a mistake if you ask me, now it looks like a homemade paint job and I deeply regret it. I might sand the spokes back to black.

Cheers !

Posted: May 20, 2011 at 13:30 Quote
I just signed up, this thread has been really informative and the pictures show how great paint jobs you guys have done.

I'm thinking of painting my rims white but I've got a problem, they are V-brake rims. So they are black anodized and have a bare metal sidewall. I still use v-brakes and I think it might be impossible to mask off the side perfectly around. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018235
Mobile Version of Website