How To Paint Your Rims!! (PICS STEP BY STEP)

PB Forum :: Tutorials
How To Paint Your Rims!! (PICS STEP BY STEP)
Posted: Dec 5, 2011 at 23:40 Quote
elementwingz wrote:
Looking to do my 09 Ollie.

Bike is completely stock. Will get matching grips and pedals.

From right now:
photo

Yellow:
photo

Or

Green:
photo

I say red is best cz u already have red bits on your bike Big Grin tup

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 0:01 Quote
hey is there anyone camo painted their wheelsSmile ?

im getting some cheap sun ryhino lite wheels, im thinking about painting them digital camo or just plain winter camo like the sun mtx

Posted: Dec 23, 2011 at 9:19 Quote
If you guys dont mind spending a little more cash you can always have your wheels powdercoated , and being that its only 2 rims it shouldnt cost much at all . Will hold up far longer and better then paint .

Posted: Dec 23, 2011 at 23:10 Quote
aedubber wrote:
If you guys dont mind spending a little more cash you can always have your wheels powdercoated , and being that its only 2 rims it shouldnt cost much at all . Will hold up far longer and better then paint .

It definitely will, especially against regular wear & tear (weather, rocks etc...) BUT especially for street or trail riding if you end up snagging a solid branch or a piece of metal, your rim is going to scratch to the base coat color no matter what.
The conclusion I am trying to draw is that either paint or simply buy a new rim, powdercoating would be redundant in that the point of spraying is to save cash...right?

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 at 11:25 Quote
^ Yeah, I would PC my wheels but I seriously do NOT want to rebuild the wheels (I'm so done with that). I'm just thinking of Painting the rims too since it's cheap and can hold decently. Of course, when you SP your wheels, expect to do some touch ups for the rest of your life, and add it on to the maintenance list for your bike.

Now, since these rims are aluminum, no good on baking them to get a harder finish? Would 150~ish Fahrenheit actually affect the strength of the rim which are probably artificially aged (heat treated).

And finally, I want Red rims, could anyone "photoshop" them on (no MS paint please lol). I will ship that person cookies. Thanks Fab

** Calipers Adaptors were painted.
** Any help with painting Bashguards? I want to retain the "RaceFace" logo but it is etched on...just carefully tape it over?

photo
or
photo

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
Anyone have pictures of their "Raw" rims? Curious to see what polished aluminum will look like on a bike.

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 15:54 Quote
Spicy-Mike wrote:
Anyone have pictures of their "Raw" rims? Curious to see what polished aluminum will look like on a bike.
Weren't the silver Deemax's raw aluminum with black stickers on them?

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 16:23 Quote
Hmm idk, all it says, "Silver" anodized. I know Raw is easy for me to make and won't have to worry about painting. But idk if it'll fit with the color schemes.

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 at 17:40 Quote
Silver and raw are pretty close in color.. Just look at some bikes with silver deemax

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 at 3:44 Quote
Hi , im going to paint my rims . They have original color (matte) , what should i do? Can i just grind rims (grind just first coat of) with sandpaper then spray paint them and then spray lacquer ? Is primer needed if i keep old color on them? I've heard that if you dont take all the color of then primer isnt needed.

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 at 20:51 Quote
FunOnka wrote:
Hi , im going to paint my rims . They have original color (matte) , what should i do? Can i just grind rims (grind just first coat of) with sandpaper then spray paint them and then spray lacquer ? Is primer needed if i keep old color on them? I've heard that if you dont take all the color of then primer isnt needed.

Just rough it up with sandpaper, starting with a 160 grit or so then go to something like 220 and then finishing off with 400-600 grit, then primer it then color coat then clear coat. Fine grit sand paper gives a smooth finish once it's been painted....clear coat is really just optional, but recommended, paint will last longer with clear coat.

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 1:33 Quote
debonis wrote:
FunOnka wrote:

Just rough it up with sandpaper, starting with a 160 grit or so then go to something like 220 and then finishing off with 400-600 grit, then primer it then color coat then clear coat. Fine grit sand paper gives a smooth finish once it's been painted....clear coat is really just optional, but recommended, paint will last longer with clear coat.

Emm.. , where is difference between paint coat and clear coat? I know what is paint but what is clear coat?

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 4:26 Quote
Primer, Undercoat = first layer for proper adhesion, base layer.

Paint Coat, Layer = Primary and main filler, the middle layers, core layers.

Clearcoat, Finish, Final = Last coating, may be multiple layers to protect main layers. See through usually to show main color. Added for durability and protection. Also used to finish the painted color such as Gloss and Matte which give the overall look a shiny/glossy or more flat appearance.

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 4:55 Quote
Spicy-Mike wrote:
Primer, Undercoat = first layer for proper adhesion, base layer.

Paint Coat, Layer = Primary and main filler, the middle layers, core layers.

Clearcoat, Finish, Final = Last coating, may be multiple layers to protect main layers. See through usually to show main color. Added for durability and protection. Also used to finish the painted color such as Gloss and Matte which give the overall look a shiny/glossy or more flat appearance.

Clearcoat is laquer? I dont get it Big Grin

Posted: Nov 10, 2012 at 9:42 Quote
Lacquer technically is a "last layer" or a "finish", so you could call it, but the most general terms for clearcoat is clear gloss or clear matte.

clearcoat is another can you spray over the main paint to give it durability, gloss/matte finish, and protection. It's clear, doesn't affect color too much, but just gives a final layer to top off everything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016213
Mobile Version of Website