Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Bench Press Compared To Body Weight

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Bench Press Compared To Body Weight
Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 10:48 Quote
Yea, I like cleans, but I don't do dead lifts either. I guess I just don't like the way they feel haha. I don't deny that squats are awesome for you though, but I'm pretty happy with my results from lifting.

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 10:53 Quote
The thing is, sure, you could get one muscle group better with a particular exercise. But in order to achieve the same or better results than compound exercises you'd have to do about six or seven different lifts instead. It's not efficient. But if it works for you, whetever

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 11:14 Quote
harriieee wrote:
The thing is, sure, you could get one muscle group better with a particular exercise. But in order to achieve the same or better results than compound exercises you'd have to do about six or seven different lifts instead. It's not efficient. But if it works for you, whetever

+1

O+
Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 17:52 Quote
mhailo wrote:
Compound moves > isolation moves.

You'll 'get each muscle better' with compounds, infact, squats are the best full body muscle building exercise along with DLs

Smile
Quoted for truth! Smile

Posted: Sep 5, 2012 at 20:48 Quote
I don't disagree at all that squats are awesome lifts, but can I get some more explanation on how a compound lift is better than isolation? An overhead press works my arms, but a shoulder press with dumbells gets my shoulders better. Preacher curls gets my biceps, and dips for triceps.

Posted: Sep 6, 2012 at 2:00 Quote
There's a few reasons but basically you're recruiting more muscle fibres which equals more growth.. As well as stabilizers which translate into functional strength

''if you wanted to kill the enemy...would you use bombs or rifle bullets?'' is a good analogy.

Work compounds and isolations together and you're set

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 22:15 Quote
but bullets kill each individual enemy better than bombs!

i love squats and deadlifts.
+1 on the post about functional strength - which, is probably important to most people on this forum.

Posted: Sep 12, 2012 at 15:23 Quote
1RM 287 lbs 130 KG
Body weight 154 lbs 70 KG

Posted: Oct 31, 2012 at 16:13 Quote
5"8 224 and I bench 315 twice

Posted: Oct 31, 2012 at 17:54 Quote
Pro-Uphiller wrote:
I don't disagree at all that squats are awesome lifts, but can I get some more explanation on how a compound lift is better than isolation? An overhead press works my arms, but a shoulder press with dumbells gets my shoulders better. Preacher curls gets my biceps, and dips for triceps.

Unless I'm really confused, overhead press and shoulder press are the same exercise.

IIRC the theory behind compound being better than isolation is that you train your limbs as a whole instead of isolating sections so your body gets better at learning/mastering those movements. You also target all the little muscles linking the bigger muscles that you don't really hit with isolation. Heavy compound is also said to be so taxing on your body that it really shocks it into "repair mode" a lot harder than isolation would. On top of it, most compound movements will target your core a lot, so working multiple big muscle groups AND your core at the same time saves you a LOT of time in the end. It's a double edged sword though because if you over do it, your core can fatigue which could lead to injury under the bigger loads.

Isolation isn't the devil though. It has its place when you're doing rehab, working around an injury or trying to fight out imbalances. Other than that, unless you're semi-pro/pro bodybuilder trying to maximize gains on every single bits of muscle, it's a waste of time really.

If you're here, I guess you are a lot more concerned about functional improvements than aesthetic ones. I've been reading a whole lot about strength/speed/power training the last few years and it seems like the classic isolation split routines are mostly obselete plans, even for a lot of bodybuilders. A lot of top end athletes seem to train on the big 3 (bench/squat/deadlift) and add up a bunch of olympic lifting, kettlebell swings and sport specific drills.

Posted: Nov 5, 2012 at 5:55 Quote
The most I have benched is 345. Now I could do 285. My weight in 200lbs, 5'10" and 43 years old. Not bad for an old dude. Body hurts more now. Longer to warm up and longer to recover (2 broken bones this year, three surgeries). Just have to stay ahead of my teenage son as long as a can.

Posted: Nov 8, 2012 at 0:52 Quote
I'm 159 and I bench 264 one rep max (confortable with 4x10 reps @ 230)

Posted: Dec 3, 2012 at 20:03 Quote
I'm 175 can bench 250 , or I like alot of reps 155 @ 20 reps.

Posted: Dec 4, 2012 at 8:10 Quote
6 ft 220lbs and bench 325x2 or I once benched 225x19. It doesn't help much with climbing hills though. Ha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021539
Mobile Version of Website