Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Did anyone regret singlespeed?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Did anyone regret singlespeed?
Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 3:04 Quote
your geting trials cranks then

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 3:38 Quote
connen31 wrote:
your geting trials cranks then

yup.

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 3:51 Quote
STP-PWNS wrote:
kay thanks guy, ill probabley just buy the DMR kit and just put it on myself, thanksSmile One last question, is single speed that good for distance?, like im not talking really long. and whats a good ratio for ss?

put it this way, i just did coast to coast (150mile) in 15 hours ridin time on my bmx lol. in 25:9 so just do it its loads better

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 6:41 Quote
ivi4rk wrote:
STP-PWNS wrote:
kay thanks guy, ill probabley just buy the DMR kit and just put it on myself, thanksSmile One last question, is single speed that good for distance?, like im not talking really long. and whats a good ratio for ss?

put it this way, i just did coast to coast (150mile) in 15 hours ridin time on my bmx lol. in 25:9 so just do it its loads better
you have to consider wheel size too...that would be way to high for most people on a mountainbike

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 11:15 Quote
jimbo33000 wrote:
ivi4rk wrote:
STP-PWNS wrote:

you have to consider wheel size too...that would be way to high for most people on a mountainbike

i didnt realise it would be different for wheel sizes. well i think my dj is 34 to 16 or summat like that

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
will be running 22 11 when i get the sprocket through Big Grin

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 at 3:21 Quote
I'm thinking about single speed and have the opportunity to get a kit for about $60 or a hub for $60 and then pay $50 labour for a relace or do it myself. Is a relace relistic to do myself when i have little experience with more advanced repairs/ mechanics like this? Will there be any big benifits to getting the hub? (NS Coaster) My current hubs are pret shit (commencal stock ones) What should i do? please give reasons
Thanks,
Marco

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 at 3:36 Quote
marco-djer wrote:
I'm thinking about single speed and have the opportunity to get a kit for about $60 or a hub for $60 and then pay $50 labour for a relace or do it myself. Is a relace relistic to do myself when i have little experience with more advanced repairs/ mechanics like this? Will there be any big benifits to getting the hub? (NS Coaster) My current hubs are pret shit (commencal stock ones) What should i do? please give reasons
Thanks,
Marco

i would get the kit, (but don't pay 60 for it that's ridiculous) only because it is reversible if your riding style doesnt suit ss.

btw relacing a wheel is piss for anyone, but truing it to a ride able level takes alot of practice.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 at 3:54 Quote
marco-djer wrote:
Thanks,
Marco
kit bro, you don't need to spend double it on a hub not including fitting
use the spare cash to upgrade something else
when your doing bigger jumps or drops (i.e putting more pressure on wheels) you may want to change hubs but yeah i agree with ths guy^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 at 2:02 Quote
yeah my kit was like 30 installed. 60 for a ss kit is outrageous

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 at 4:19 Quote
The 60 includes a tensioner though... altough i'd prefer to try and run ss without one. Is this realistic seeing i have vertical dropouts on my absolut (used to have horizontals until i cracked that frame and commencal sent me the 2010 w/ replaceables) Can i just like take out links and/ or replace with half links every so often and it will be fine?

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 at 4:28 Quote
marco-djer wrote:
The 60 includes a tensioner though... altough i'd prefer to try and run ss without one. Is this realistic seeing i have vertical dropouts on my absolut (used to have horizontals until i cracked that frame and commencal sent me the 2010 w/ replaceables) Can i just like take out links and/ or replace with half links every so often and it will be fine?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CGSN9CT/title/torpedo7-single-speed-conversion-kit-with-tensioner

$30 incl tensioner

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 at 4:34 Quote
ive been ridin singlespeed for the last two years and have settled on a 36:13 ratio an its perfect for trails/dh and freeride

Posted: Jan 25, 2011 at 4:43 Quote
DJPrOdigy wrote:
George1234 wrote:
stefanm wrote:

i have 32 front 16 rear atm, its great for getting speed up for street,park dj ect, but if you have to cycle to places that are a distance it does wear you down if your gearing is to low Big Grin

na 36:16 FTW great for trails i think

Im running 32:16 at the moment and i love it. When i can afford a new hub, i will be going 16:8 Smile

thats the most stupid thing ive heard in a long time. Have fun snapping chains and wearing through sprockets and such at an alarming rate, oh and chain slap unless your chain is real tight, increasing the above. And trials cranks over bmx? smart move

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 2:10 Quote
Hi just found this thread looking for one on Single speed on DH bikes, any body here know if there is one?
As for Regretting SS, I recently went SS on my Bolt Build. after years of 4X racing, I was only running 3 speed anyway so thought I'd go SS to save some weight.
Nope, No Regrets.
It's taught me to rely on flow an a smooth style rather than mashing pedals hence the decision to try it on the DH bike....
cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.117908
Mobile Version of Website