Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Collaboration video project - Amateur Videogragher group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Collaboration video project - Amateur Videogragher group
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 1:06 Quote
I wouldn't mind co-ordinating things - would love to do it in fact.

Few things, we should not contact anyone just yet, because we have no solid ideas as to what we're doing yet, no timeframes, etc. At this stage, it is important to remember that this is a concept and nothing more. It will take a LOT of planning, especially since there's quite a few people from around the world, and already people are talking about different things all at once. We need to tackle one issue at a time.

1. We need to find out exactly who is ready to devote their time filming, riding, and possibly editing for this project, and make a private thread just for those people (I can make one). I'm afraid all non-participants would not be allowed, simply for organisational issues (thread would get too crowded) and the fact that we can't tell everyone everything.

2. Once that's been decided, then we see who can film what, when, and where. We need to sort out a timeframe for the whole project before doing anything else.

3. We need to sort out all the technical details, including how everything will be edited, how footage will be sent around the world (it will NOT be done online - we need raw footage whenever possible, not compressed), how and where the movie will be distributed, etc.

Personally, I don't think everyone editing their stuff individualy is such a good idea. I know that everyone wants control over how their work is edited and seen, but it WILL be extremely complicated if everyone does it individually, and speaking from experience, it does not work well at all. There would be everyone's exporting formats to deal with, fonts, sound levels, colour, frame rates, encoding settings, and so much more, and it's just very hard to co-ordinate everything. Although seeing people's different editing styles would be great, we cannot forget that this must look like a professional movie and it simply can't look like a few different segments of random riding cut together.

4. After that we can possibly get to work contacting sponsors and getting a little funding for the project. Let's just say now that the aim of the project is not for profit.

Following that, we can start actually shooting for the project.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 2:42 Quote
Sorry if this sounds selfish, but I don't think I wanna be in if someone else is editing my seg.

If people just edit their own segments and don't do any colour correction at all. Then just export using quicktime so you get a full size .mov file. No quality is lost, frame rates can be decided and resoloutions can be done etc.

If we all agree on a font before we start editing it wouldn't be a problem.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 9:06 Quote
maybe to get around the issue of editing our own sections each filmer could make a really rough cut of their footage that show the order we want our shots in, which ones to be used and the music we want. The rough cuts should be low quality and just put up on vimeo password protected so only we can see them.
That way if someone is assigned to be the editor they would follow the rough edit as the filmer wished, but at the same time get around issues with colour grading, export settings frame rates and every other issue.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 9:11 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
maybe to get around the issue of editing our own sections each filmer could make a really rough cut of their footage that show the order we want our shots in, which ones to be used and the music we want. The rough cuts should be low quality and just put up on vimeo password protected so only we can see them.
That way if someone is assigned to be the editor they would follow the rough edit as the filmer wished, but at the same time get around issues with colour grading, export settings frame rates and every other issue.

That would be a good idea. Best of both worlds right there...

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 9:14 Quote
Yeah, because as much as i would like to edit my own stuff, I can't export videos for the life of me, they come out awful quality, huge file sizes and with horrible rolling shutter, that would kind of ruin the film for me, so I would rather my edit was followed, but done properly by someone else.

to be honest I enjoy filming much than editing anyway so I'm down for whatever.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 9:34 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
Yeah, because as much as i would like to edit my own stuff, I can't export videos for the life of me, they come out awful quality, huge file sizes and with horrible rolling shutter, that would kind of ruin the film for me, so I would rather my edit was followed, but done properly by someone else.

I going to have to disagree here. For the people who can export properly I think they should be able to fully edit their own segment..... If you let someone else edit it to the music and cut it the way they like it defeats the purpose of making this film unique and showing everyone’s different style of filming/ editing......

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 9:36 Quote
mmmmmm wrote:
ih-sam wrote:

I going to have to disagree here. For the people who can export properly I think they should be able to fully edit their own segment..... If you let someone else edit it to the music and cut it the way they like it defeats the purpose of making this film unique and showing everyone’s different style of filming/ editing......
Thats the point though, if you edit it and they copy it exactly then it might as well be your own style

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:10 Quote
I REALLY think that we should each edit our own segments, but adhere to a certain style and flow throughout the video (ie not shred metal or something). Otherwise we'll lose a lot of the individuality to each segment.

If that doesn't work, there's nothing stopping us from doing it the other way with just one person editing the whole thing, so why don't we try editing ourselves first and see how that works out.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:15 Quote
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
I REALLY think that we should each edit our own segments, but adhere to a certain style and flow throughout the video (ie not shred metal or something). Otherwise we'll lose a lot of the individuality to each segment.

If that doesn't work, there's nothing stopping us from doing it the other way with just one person editing the whole thing, so why don't we try editing ourselves first and see how that works out.
I agree

O+
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:19 Quote
ill do it! im high voltage films. id be happy to deal with sponsors and music rights.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:20 Quote
high-voltage-films wrote:
music rights
Have fun trying, you won't get very far

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:53 Quote
so am i in ? im easy on whatever as far as editing goes, and ive got some really good riders and some sick trails to film.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:39 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
mmmmmm wrote:
ih-sam wrote:

Thats the point though, if you edit it and they copy it exactly then it might as well be your own style

No, but you said “rough cut” of the footage. Roughly piecing together your footage into the order you want then letting someone else cut it and edit it to the music defeats the purpose of this whole project. We want to showcase every filmer’s unique style of filming and editing. Each person has their own vision of how they want their segment to look. If you let someone else edit it for them they it’s really not their segment anymore.... Sure they filmed it but it won’t be the same.

I don’t know about you guys but when I film (and take pictures) I have a vision of how I want it to look. The way I translate what’s in my head to the final product will be completely different than if someone else did it for me.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:40 Quote
To be honest now I think about it I would rather I edited my own segment, rather than let someone else do it.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 13:10 Quote
You guys should edit your own segments but keep the same fonts and effects through out the film, know what I'm saying? If some on has a segment where everything fades in nicely and is in time with the music and then someone makes one that completely goes against the music and has all these weird transitions and stuff. It could make the film look less co-lab? IMO

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022192
Mobile Version of Website