Powered by Outside

Coil Vengeance help (from Big Hit?)

PB Forum :: Specialized
Coil Vengeance help (from Big Hit?)
O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2014 at 4:12 Quote
Thats the one. It may look a bit daunting, but its quite simple.

Chriser: I bough some shrink wrap from the local electrical supply store. It is more rubbery than the stuff x fusion had on there. Hasn't slipped or given me any problems in about 3 years. Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

Posted: Nov 12, 2014 at 6:38 Quote
Hey guys, I have a problem taking apart the damper in coil r vengeance. I let air out, unwind the cup from the lower side of the damper , where the air chamber is, but i cant get the other cup, on the upper side,where the rebound rod goes in. Do i need a special tool or something. Ideas please.

Posted: May 18, 2015 at 10:57 Quote
For the Vengrance R that comes on specialized bikes, there should be a sticker saying something like: "use for authorized dealers only". Therefore I would not mess with that if you don't feel any difference considering some of you also said theres nothing covering that in the manual. If I had to guess,it's something Xfusion uses to tune the fork since I asked them about tuning my fork on my status 1 2014. Also putting a difference spring in is not going to make it better or fox your problem. If you go softer, then it's top soft, if you go firmer, it's going to feel like shit on small bumps.

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
the air chamber should be set to 50 psi, no more no less. it shouldnever be changed. it is only to keep the oil damper under pressure to prevent cavatation

FL
Posted: Oct 25, 2015 at 0:30 Quote
To get this post going again Smile has anyone from the UK purchased the HLR damper? Where did you purchase it from and how much was final price? And also any illustrations of you installing them?
I have the Vengeance R on my enduro evo that I bottom out, I'm 97kg so will also be purchasing the orange spring. (Currently blue)

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 8:38 Quote
I'm at the point now where I want to install the HLR damper. Since this fork was special made for Specialized, does anyone know if the HLR damper will fit correctly? I don't want to order the part and find out they also modified the spacing or something since they added an air valve.

s4osh wrote:
To get this post going again Smile has anyone from the UK purchased the HLR damper? Where did you purchase it from and how much was final price? And also any illustrations of you installing them?
I have the Vengeance R on my enduro evo that I bottom out, I'm 97kg so will also be purchasing the orange spring. (Currently blue)

I weigh 79kg and am using the orange coil. For the most part it's good. I can still bottom out with harder landings that I didn't bottom out on with other forks, but I'm pretty aggressive with drops/jumps.

If you find the damper can you post back where? I've only found one place and that's a local suspension service center. I was quoted at $270 CAD for the HLR and $230 for the RC.

FL
Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 12:53 Quote
Cheers For the reply, yeah the fork works very well but for someone half my weight, I'm in two minds of ditching this fork and going air front and rear so please don't hold your breath Smile
A friend in a LBS is looking into it for me and seeing what he can find, if I do get any info I will pass it straight on.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 5:39 Quote
s4osh wrote:

Go on X-Fusion's website and look for HLR upgrade services. Its $300 I believe.

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 at 8:29 Quote
Just for future reference. The vengeance coil r from specialized will take the hlr damper directly. you can remove the old one and instal the hlr without taking apart the whole fork, just unscrew from top & bottom and change.everything fits. This will however do nothing for you if the spring is too soft for your weight.
Good luck.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 10:52 Quote
I ordered the HLR Damper Cartridge. I've got the 170mm Coil version of the fork with specialized air valve.
Like everyone else, I could bottom out the vanilla fork ridding off a curb. Installed the Orange coil which is rated for someone who weighs 210+ pounds and I weigh 170 pounds. While it is much much better, I can still routinely bottom out the fork on bigger features and I experience lots of brake dive.

Here's the two side by side. R at the top, HLR below it:
photo
Part #: XF-42-SSFDVGHLR-170-201

Installation is simple. Plenty of articles out there on how to disassemble this fork. In a nut shell, remove air valve cap (careful when letting the air out, there's oil in there), remove the bottom nut, red top cap, top of cartridge that screws into fork. When putting back together add 20cc of 7.5wt oil to the lower leg. As said above, no need to touch the other side of the fork.

Unfortunately due to the current weather and the recent melt off of snow, I won't be able to test this out properly for a while. I'll report back when I do.

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 1:05 Quote
Nice work. You will have plenty of game now to play with the compression settings against the brake dive...Smile

Just a few days ago I serviced for 2nd time the hlr damper. Here are some nice instructions:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/index.php?threads/x-fusion-vengeance-hlr-service-guide.64867/

Posted: Apr 24, 2016 at 15:57 Quote
Thanks for the guide! When I got the cartridge, it came with oil inside the damper already. Right out of the package it had a sloshly sucky sound throughout the up stroke. I figured that was how it was supposed to be. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a suspension sound like this.

The cartridge did offer an improvement. Before I would almost bottom out just riding off a curb. I can now drop ~10 feet onto a slope without bottoming out, if my compression is one click from closed. The noticeable difference between fully open and closed compression wasn't near what I had expected (both High and Low speed). With it closed, dropping to flat from 4 to 5 feet can bottom out hard sometimes.

I decided to swap the oil before I put a stiffer spring in. The oil I poured out was clean, brown in colour (supposed to be?) and seemed more thin than I would have thought. I have a bottle of 10wt (can't seem to find 7.5wt locally). After priming the cartridge with fresh oil there is no more sloshly sucky sound. And just testing the fork in my basement, there about a 3x more noticeable difference between fully open and closed. Each click too.

Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
Slie wrote:
Thanks for the guide! When I got the cartridge, it came with oil inside the damper already. Right out of the package it had a sloshly sucky sound throughout the up stroke. I figured that was how it was supposed to be. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a suspension sound like this.

The cartridge did offer an improvement. Before I would almost bottom out just riding off a curb. I can now drop ~10 feet onto a slope without bottoming out, if my compression is one click from closed. The noticeable difference between fully open and closed compression wasn't near what I had expected (both High and Low speed). With it closed, dropping to flat from 4 to 5 feet can bottom out hard sometimes.

I decided to swap the oil before I put a stiffer spring in. The oil I poured out was clean, brown in colour (supposed to be?) and seemed more thin than I would have thought. I have a bottle of 10wt (can't seem to find 7.5wt locally). After priming the cartridge with fresh oil there is no more sloshly sucky sound. And just testing the fork in my basement, there about a 3x more noticeable difference between fully open and closed. Each click too.

Thread resurrection!
Slie: Are you still running this fork & how is it holding up? Are you happy w/the HLR damper?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041360
Mobile Version of Website