EVIL Undead

PB Forum :: Downhill
EVIL Undead
Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 11:21 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:
thats like the 3rd or 4th time that someone has claimed its a crack and it really just ends up being a paint crack.. lol

Sure is. Its funny how he comes in here claiming a cracked frame and then when you click on his for sale thread for the bike he says it has the paint crack and he has already been in contact with Kevin (Owner of Evil) and he was already sending him a new swingarm because of it.

The email response I got from Kevin was from August 2012 when mine had the same problem and he sent me the picture I posted above to be able to see how it was made. He then told me "You can see the insert here. The paint cracking follows the joint between the insert and carbon. We will likely anodize it black and just butt the carbon up to it like we did on the trail bike protos.. Ride the shit out of her..."

Nothing to be worried about! If the frame truly cracks then you will get a new swingarm or frame. Its paint for gods sake! Do you call up Fox when your forks get scratched from shuttling? Do you call Shimano if your rotor warps? Its a bike! It will get scratches if you ride it and those extremely small paint cracks get you all worked up over nothing. Believe me it could be worse.

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 11:47 Quote
Yeah, as far as im concerned its a paint crack..... It happened on both sides of mine, luckily I have a friend who is part of the NDT team at Force India (formula 1). He tests the carbon parts of the cars on a daily basis, I gave it to them to check it out.
They did every test they could muster on it and confirmed to me that it was indeed a paint crack! They even supplied me with the photos of them in action with the frame.

Now I for one, reckon if a F1 team says its fine......then its fine lol

Although, if paying that sort of money for a Frame, you dont expect the paint finish to deteriorate after such a short period of time.

Apart from that............i F@@k**G love this bike..........Best bike ive ever ridden!!!

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 11:56 Quote
clackdish wrote:
Yeah, as far as im concerned its a paint crack..... It happened on both sides of mine, luckily I have a friend who is part of the NDT team at Force India (formula 1). He tests the carbon parts of the cars on a daily basis, I gave it to them to check it out.
They did every test they could muster on it and confirmed to me that it was indeed a paint crack! They even supplied me with the photos of them in action with the frame.

Now I for one, reckon if a F1 team says its fine......then its fine lol

Although, if paying that sort of money for a Frame, you dont expect the paint finish to deteriorate after such a short period of time.

Apart from that............i F@@k**G love this bike..........Best bike ive ever ridden!!!

I would trust them to the fullest as well! My family and I are HUGE F1 Fans. Thats awesome to hear man.

Yeah but look at it this way. It does have a clear coat over the frame to help protect the carbon. If it was just left Raw it would never have this tiny issue then nobody would be complaining. Haha. Why do you think I had mine painted? ;-)

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 12:12 Quote
one day i will own one.. one day.

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 12:16 Quote
ballaholyk84 wrote:
clackdish wrote:

Now I for one, reckon if an F1 team says its fine......then its fine lol

I would trust them to the fullest as well! My family and I are HUGE F1 Fans. Thats awesome to hear man.

Yeah but look at it this way. It does have a clear coat over the frame to help protect the carbon. If it was just left Raw it would never have this tiny issue then nobody would be complaining. Haha. Why do you think I had mine painted? ;-)

Oh yeah you're right.......and I can assure you, theres no complaints here!!

And that is a stunning Undead you got there!

As soon as I have the funds, i'll be getting the Uprising as well.

Posted: Aug 7, 2013 at 16:25 Quote
Hello fellow Pinkbikers,

If you don't mind, I'll try offer a little insight into what I've been reading.

Regardless of people's personal opinions, I don't think it's fair to gang up on MarkFive. While his posts could have been worded better, he's within his rights to be annoyed with the situation.

I believe Kevin in what he tells me. I don't believe there will be any catastrophic failures & while it may only be a paint defect, it can't be the best look for the company to have these in the public eye. I will happily ride mine, but it may be aided with the careful placement of some stickers.

On the subject of people complaining about CS, in my opinion the best way to contact Kevin is via email. I'm in Australia, we have no importer here, but I deal with him directly. I'll always get the response I was looking for. One thing that may help, is if people are polite & reasonable. Shooting off a foul mouthed tirade will not get you anywhere. Remember he is a one man show running two companies full time. Show a little respect & you'll get it back.

Lastly I will say & I'm sure most who have ridden an Undead (or Revolt), will agree it is the best riding bike on the market. There's something about it that inspires confidence to ride harder & faster. It is what I believe, the most beautiful looking bike ever made & with ride characteristics to match. I like to think of it like Miranda Kerr...... beautiful light frame with curves in all the right places & I'm sure she rides just as good!.... Or likes to be ridden haha

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 2:34 Quote
ballaholyk84 wrote:
MarkFive wrote:
Looks Like Evil have removed the site and no one can post on there FB anymore

im stuck with a cracked frame an no eta on my new swingarm

Where is your frame cracked? Any pictures?

EDIT: So I just looked at your selling thread for it. Looks like the paint crack. You may want to clarify that before you say "I am stuck with a cracked frame". Your frame is not cracked and far from it. Its a small paint crack. As far as I know, which the same thing happened to mine as well, you will not get a new swingarm because of that.

Mate is there a crack in my frame yes paint or cosmetic it should not be there after 3 months of purchase with any bike

it just shows the quality control is still not there for EVIL

Why should i have to wait months for a new swingarm to be made

I dont think this frame is fit for purpose and never was when it left the factory

would you drive your car with loose wheels ??

i feel the same way on the evil its gonna snap just as Brooks did in the video floating about the web

you must work for evil and seem to be getting a bit upset with me going on how shit they are

i have all the emails from the owner saying they are at fault etc but i dont need to waste my time waiting for replacement swingarm thats not even been made yet

you would be pissed to spend that money on a frame and have it crack in 3 months

i would just like my money back and to buy a decent brand that has no shit following

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 2:43 Quote
Last email from Kevin
Mark,

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy but we are doing the best we can to resolve any and all issues. The delta links are fine, you have some worn out spherical bearings, we will send replacements with the swingarm when it becomes available. The factory is producing these right now but I do not have a firm delivery date. I will provide you a formal update when that information becomes available.

I can tell you without a reason of doubt the frame is safe to ride. I attached a photo of an Uprising prototype that has the swingarm insert exposed. You can clearly see that it is a solid aluminum part and that there is a defined line where the carbon meets the aluminum insert. This is the very spot where the paint separation occurs usually outlining the area between the aluminum and carbon. As I mentioned, this has been x-rayed and tested to insure safety. The unfinished aluminum insert area in the photo is painted black and clear coated in production to make the carbon blend into the swingarm.

My personal Undead that I am riding has the very same paint issue. If your concern is missing days on the bike I suggest you ride this frame with a cosmetic problem until a replacement is available.

Cheers
Kevin

My concern is there is no replacement swingarm at the moment

am selling my frame cause i dont want it

i wont ever ride an undead again and wont nothing todo with the company.

i just want my money back

One plus it is an amazing bike to ride but after suffering and still suffering from a stupid so called paint crack

i wish i bought something else from the start

it cut my holiday in morzine short

i dont want to ride a cracked frame even if its redeemed safe to ride

IT SHOULD NOT CRACK IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!

stop hatting as well if it was one of you and you where sat with a £7500 bike ya cant ride cause theres that thought of it all going wrong

you wont ride as hard as you do or have fun knowing at anytime it could go

am i wrong thinking this

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 3:41 Quote
Ive been watching this saga evolve since the Revolt went to pieces and looking to see how the undead turned out.

Looking at the diagrams of the swing arm the carbon is over layed onto an alloy joint, this is obviously stressing and causing separation in the materials which i turn is leading to cracks on the surface. How deep those cracks go is hard to say, but ill trust evil and say its cosmetic.

Certainly there are a lot of people who have the same issue with the undead, which shows there is an issue with the quality of the swing arm design and construction if evil themselves are replacing the swing arms, its obviously not deemed fit for sale, that's not to say its not safe to ride or doesn't do its job - but it doesn't meet that reasonable standards of quality expected when purchasing a top end frame. Unfortunately we live in a world where the little guy has to uphold the same standards as the big guy and produce products that conform. At present its fair to say that the quality of the swing arm is not there, i've had a go on the undead and they do ride great and its a shame that they have this problem.

The issue here is not the safety of the bike, its the quality of the construction and design. You wouldn't buy a supercar car and be ok about the paint cracking due to the way the materials are bound together after 3 months of normal usage -n just because its a supercar and its made by a small company.

I can only imagine the stress for Evil having yet another quality issue in relation to the design or construction of their bike, i feel for them, and bad press is not what they want right now and Evil have stopped people posting on their facebook page and have removed any comments relating to this issue from their other online mediums, another sign this is becoming an issue for them.

Plus factor in the fact in the UK that all goods must meet the sales of goods act in terms of quality, if people have this issue and its proven to be a fault from purchase, they are legally going to have a claim to get their money back for the retailer, who in turn will claim from the wholesaler and it turn will hit evil. Its potentially a very very serious issue This is outside of any warranty repair and or solution offered.

Most people might be happy to receive a replacement swing arm and love the bike so much that they want to hate on people who say different, however, Mark is well within his rights to ask for his money back here, i see nothing wrong with that, but it looks like he'll have to claim from the retailer who sold it to him.......As for not riding it, fair play to him, if it was me the frame would already be back on their doorstep, what would you do after spending £2800 on a frame?!?

If your bmw developed a paint issue in 3 months you'd get a new car! how do i know, it happened to me, they offered me a respray but after investigation i found I was entitled to a new car or a refund as the defect was already there when i bought the car new, i took the refund and bought an Audi.

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 10:14 Quote
Im not hating at all........

Mark is well within his right to be upset about the whole thing, after all its a lot of money involved at the end of the day which I truly hope he gets back. He's purchased a frame that after only a short time has developed issues in the way of cracks in the swing arm, when I found mine I was a little concerned to say the least!!

For me, I didnt buy mine from a shop, mine was a warranty replacement that I bought "new" from a seller on here. I did stop riding it until I was sure that it wasnt a serious issue......but after the testing I had done I am confident that its safe to ride.

A cosmetic crack doesn't bother me at all and I am over the moon with the bike. But hey, thats just me!

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 10:28 Quote
Thanks for that clackdish

i love the bike but disappointed this happened and now i have to wait i dunno how long for a new swingarm

the DH season is almost up and i never really got to see the most of the undead only really rode it for 4 days in morzine

shame but the Evil does ride amazing ill give them that

i hope they fix all there issues then release an amazing bike in the end

all i can do is wait for Kevin to help me and get me out the new part soon

one love everyone

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 10:38 Quote
MarkFive wrote:
Mate is there a crack in my frame yes paint or cosmetic it should not be there after 3 months of purchase with any bike

I dont think this frame is fit for purpose and never was when it left the factory

i feel the same way on the evil its gonna snap just as Brooks did in the video floating about the web

you must work for evil and seem to be getting a bit upset with me going on how shit they are

i have all the emails from the owner saying they are at fault etc but i dont need to waste my time waiting for replacement swingarm thats not even been made yet

you would be pissed to spend that money on a frame and have it crack in 3 months

i would just like my money back and to buy a decent brand that has no shit following

Last email from Kevin
Mark,

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy but we are doing the best we can to resolve any and all issues. The delta links are fine, you have some worn out spherical bearings, we will send replacements with the swingarm when it becomes available. The factory is producing these right now but I do not have a firm delivery date. I will provide you a formal update when that information becomes available.

I can tell you without a reason of doubt the frame is safe to ride. I attached a photo of an Uprising prototype that has the swingarm insert exposed. You can clearly see that it is a solid aluminum part and that there is a defined line where the carbon meets the aluminum insert. This is the very spot where the paint separation occurs usually outlining the area between the aluminum and carbon. As I mentioned, this has been x-rayed and tested to insure safety. The unfinished aluminum insert area in the photo is painted black and clear coated in production to make the carbon blend into the swingarm.

My personal Undead that I am riding has the very same paint issue. If your concern is missing days on the bike I suggest you ride this frame with a cosmetic problem until a replacement is available.

Cheers
Kevin

One plus it is an amazing bike to ride but after suffering and still suffering from a stupid so called paint crack

stop hatting as well if it was one of you and you where sat with a £7500 bike ya cant ride cause theres that thought of it all going wrong

am i wrong thinking this

You sound like a bitter ass and have no idea on the situation. Its a f*cking paint crack for gods sake!!! All because Kevin decided to have the frame clear coated. If he left it raw this problem would have never occurred because you couldnt see it then you wouldnt be bitching over something so small.

Sorry bud but I had over $10k into my Undead, if you seen my bike which I am sure you have, and had this problem from the get go and rode the f*ck out of it. Not a single problem. If you knew anything about the Brooks Video was that it was Swing Arm Prototype testing for it to figure out what design to go with and obviously they didnt go with that design.

Please do tell me who has a legit cracked frame? Have you seen any? there are hundreds of Evil Undeads out there and I can bet probably none are cracked and if they are they are from bad accidents and not riding the piss out of them.

You f*cked yourself over my cutting your holiday short then in Morzine. The bike would have handled and still will handle anything you throw at it. Thats your own fault.

I do not work for Evil and not associated with them in any way. But what I cant stand if people bitching and complaining about the littlest thing in the world. YOU DO NOT HAVE A CRACKED FRAME! YOU HAVE A VERY TINY PAINT CRACK! GET THE f*ck OVER IT. ITS JUST PAINT! How about this, if you dont want to see it why now just put a little clear nail polish over it or something. Quit dwelling on something so damn small. Remember it could be worse.

Now quit being a pussy and ride the f*ckin bike! Its not gonna bite you, I promise.

"Drive a car with looses wheels?" What the f*ck? How about not even close to being the same. Did you know that 95% of cars have a shit paint job from the factory? Did you know that if you walk through a parking lot and check out every car and look just below the door line on most cars there is really bad orange peel? Same f*cking situation! I bet if you go out to your car and look at it there is orange peel on it. Now that I pointed that out are you gonna go bitch and complain and say you want your money back? Probably not and you know why? Because the car is fine, maybe there is orange peel, BUT IT DOES NOW AFFECT THE WAY THE CAR PERFORMS OR HANDLES! Suck it the f*ck up and ride!!

Now carry on....

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 10:48 Quote
MarkFive wrote:
the DH season is almost up and i never really got to see the most of the undead only really rode it for 4 days in morzine
join the club buddy.. life sh!ts on you and its up to you to decide what to do with all that sh!t you just had dumped on you. you only got to ride 4 days in Morzine? well thats 400% more riding time than ive had this season. my bike was supposed to be done a couple of months ago, but moving threw a wrench in that and ill be lucky if i get to go to a lift assisted park twice this summer.. do you see me complaining? no. because honestly, when you complain, you become a part of the problem and not a solution to the problem. tup

im not taking sides here, im just the neutral nick here, but i honestly think that you should ride your frame until your next swingarm shows up.. hell someone even did stress testing with F1 equipment on a swingarm that had the same 'crack' as you, and it didnt brake. Also from what i got out of that post, he went back to riding the frame. (its a couple of posts up)

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 11:10 Quote
ballaholyk84 wrote:
MarkFive wrote:

Last email from Kevin
Mark,

Cheers
Kevin

am i wrong thinking this

You sound like a bitter ass and have no idea on the situation. Its a f*cking paint crack for gods sake!!! All because Kevin decided to have the frame clear coated. If he left it raw this problem would have never occurred because you couldnt see it then you wouldnt be bitching over something so small.

Sorry bud but I had over $10k into my Undead, if you seen my bike which I am sure you have, and had this problem from the get go and rode the f*ck out of it. Not a single problem. If you knew anything about the Brooks Video was that it was Swing Arm Prototype testing for it to figure out what design to go with and obviously they didnt go with that design.

Please do tell me who has a legit cracked frame? Have you seen any? there are hundreds of Evil Undeads out there and I can bet probably none are cracked and if they are they are from bad accidents and not riding the piss out of them.

You f*cked yourself over my cutting your holiday short then in Morzine. The bike would have handled and still will handle anything you throw at it. Thats your own fault.

I do not work for Evil and not associated with them in any way. But what I cant stand if people bitching and complaining about the littlest thing in the world. YOU DO NOT HAVE A CRACKED FRAME! YOU HAVE A VERY TINY PAINT CRACK! GET THE f*ck OVER IT. ITS JUST PAINT! How about this, if you dont want to see it why now just put a little clear nail polish over it or something. Quit dwelling on something so damn small. Remember it could be worse.

Now quit being a pussy and ride the f*ckin bike! Its not gonna bite you, I promise.

"Drive a car with looses wheels?" What the f*ck? How about not even close to being the same. Did you know that 95% of cars have a shit paint job from the factory? Did you know that if you walk through a parking lot and check out every car and look just below the door line on most cars there is really bad orange peel? Same f*cking situation! I bet if you go out to your car and look at it there is orange peel on it. Now that I pointed that out are you gonna go bitch and complain and say you want your money back? Probably not and you know why? Because the car is fine, maybe there is orange peel, BUT IT DOES NOW AFFECT THE WAY THE CAR PERFORMS OR HANDLES! Suck it the f*ck up and ride!!

Now carry on....

I think your missing the point and making this personal. Simply because you do not share the same opinion as the op.

You buy a car, a watch, anything of quality or deemed to be of quality you expect it to under normal conditions of use to retain its original state. Yes, a downhill bike is never going to remain unblemished but shouldn't it blemish through external influence such as crash damage etc and if not the issue should be listed in the product description.

Flexing on the joint causing the carbon and alloy to crack the paint is a self admitted flaw in the design as conceded by Evil themselves, who are changing it. The buyer was not made aware of the issue before his purchase and i can imagine that it came as quite a shock to him. 90% of people would not want to ride as soon as a crack appeared and its my understanding that if you are away on holiday riding some of the most demanding trails on your bike you would think twice. Whether to continue riding after speaking to the company is a personal choice. In the UK he is within his rights to ask for his money back. Whether you feel that it is ethical to do this to a small company such as Evil trying to make it in the industry is another question, on the flip side of that should you expect to sell frames with a known issue cosmetic or not in exchange for hard working peoples money and not have to refund people as per their rights under the law.

Personally - if your happy to buy something for alot of money and respray it to cover a defect or expect it to have those flaws and not be bothered as long as it works that's great, however personally i'd want what i paid for and sympathise with mark. No ones knocking how the bike rides or its safety but your unfortunately you feel the need to berate someone who clearly does not share your opinion.

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 11:29 Quote
CrisSlater wrote:
ballaholyk84 wrote:
MarkFive wrote:

Last email from Kevin
Mark,

Cheers
Kevin

am i wrong thinking this

Now carry on....

I think your missing the point and making this personal. Simply because you do not share the same opinion as the op.

You buy a car, a watch, anything of quality or deemed to be of quality you expect it to under normal conditions of use to retain its original state. Yes, a downhill bike is never going to remain unblemished but shouldn't it blemish through external influence such as crash damage etc and if not the issue should be listed in the product description.

Flexing on the joint causing the carbon and alloy to crack the paint is a self admitted flaw in the design as conceded by Evil themselves, who are changing it. The buyer was not made aware of the issue before his purchase and i can imagine that it came as quite a shock to him. 90% of people would not want to ride as soon as a crack appeared and its my understanding that if you are away on holiday riding some of the most demanding trails on your bike you would think twice. Whether to continue riding after speaking to the company is a personal choice. In the UK he is within his rights to ask for his money back. Whether you feel that it is ethical to do this to a small company such as Evil trying to make it in the industry is another question, on the flip side of that should you expect to sell frames with a known issue cosmetic or not in exchange for hard working peoples money and not have to refund people as per their rights under the law.

Personally - if your happy to buy something for alot of money and respray it to cover a defect or expect it to have those flaws and not be bothered as long as it works that's great, however personally i'd want what i paid for and sympathise with mark. No ones knocking how the bike rides or its safety but your unfortunately you feel the need to berate someone who clearly does not share your opinion.

I totally understand but it is not up to the person to do some research on something before forking over money? I didnt have these resources because my bike was one of the first production ones. Do I care the paint cracked? Absolutely not. Why? Because it has no effect on the bike performance in any way shape of form. How do I know this? I have put this bike through the ringer for the last year and have yet to have a single issue or see anything get worse.

I have faith and trust in a company. If they say I am good, then I am going to know I am good until I prove them wrong. Yes it was his choice to not ride the bike after the fact that Kevin specifically told him that it was good to ride as he told me a year ago about mine. I rode the piss out of mine and never once had any problem with it.

I am sure he knows how to do research since he is a grown as man. I will not fork out any type of money like that without doing research first on the product.

What the OP doesnt say is where he got the bike. Did he get it from Evil Directly, Shop, 2nd Hand? Where did he get the bike in the first place?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026638
Mobile Version of Website